Emmitt Smith at 30 years old was still a great back

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

OIP._UFSxqCjeEbglIKHX7DNIgHaKs

DuceizBak

Reaction score
People say running backs don't matter, that is only true if a RB is average or slightly above average.

An ELITE running back adds a good bit of value. If i was a running back i'd play for 3 years straight and take like half a year off.

I also definitely think there is something about shorter RB's tend to be more durable.

Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were all 5'9 or under.
Frank Gore is 5'9.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
People say running backs don't matter, that is only true if a RB is average or slightly above average.

An ELITE running back adds a good bit of value. If i was a running back i'd play for 3 years straight and take like half a year off.

I also definitely think there is something about shorter RB's tend to be more durable.

Frank Gore is 5'9.

Elite RBs are rare and they usually miss a month of the season because they can’t stay healthy.

It’s just a bad investment and not worth it.

Spend those dollars on a lineman.

kskboys

Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

Exception. Not just today, it's always been that way. The few who last a long time are lauded. We just had Stephen Jackson and Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson last forever. Nothing has changed.

kskboys

Reaction score

Frank Gore is 5'9.
Yup. Simple physics. More to hit on taller RB's. Sure, there's an occasional exception like Stephen Jackson, but mostly taller RB's have a 3-6 year career or so.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Emmit was special breed, obviously.

I dont know, if defenses got harder or faster. Reason why RB's are short lived now.

Praxit

Reaction score
Yup. Simple physics. More to hit on taller RB's. Sure, there's an occasional exception like Stephen Jackson, but mostly taller RB's have a 3-6 year career or so.
..does that mean Vaughn should be in conversation? Bwhahahaa..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Emmitt had amazing durability. One asset he had that helped keep him healthy was his ability to slither through defenders and avoid solid hits. He rarely lowered his head to run over people. He knew how to slip and slide through defenders and he had great cutting ability that freed him into the open field. I never saw back who could bounce off defenders the way he did and maintain his balance.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

I remember that year very well. I took it for granted that he was 30 and still had that BURST. He actually broke his hand fending off a late tackler as he ran into the endzone after breaking off a long run.

This is what DAMNED Zeke in my mind. When I saw him losing gas at 25 ...and looking pudgy around the mid-section...I was DONE. A man knows...

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Emmitt had amazing durability. One asset he had that helped keep him healthy was his ability to slither through defenders and avoid solid hits. He rarely lowered his head to run over people. He knew how to slip and slide through defenders and he had great cutting ability that freed him into the open field. I never saw back who could bounce off defenders the way he did and maintain his balance.
He avoided big hits, played behind an all-time line for the better part of his career and he took care of his body from day one.

He was never the biggest, strongest or fastest, but combine the above with elite vision and balance...you get the all-time leading rusher.

plasticman

Reaction score
A 15 year career.

Over 900 yards rushing in 14 of those 15 seasons.

11 consecutive thousand yard rushing seasons.

9 seasons over 1200 yards rushing.

5 consecutive seasons over 1400 yards.

Averaged over 100 yards rushing per game during the three seasons in which the Cowboys won the Super Bowl.

19 different starters on the O-line during his time with the Cowboys.

He is the GOAT at his position.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I disagree!!!!! As they said about felix or maybe Murray "they left a lot of yards on the field!" that man ran out of bounds every chance he could lol

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Emmitt will always be my GOAT in football and post football. Not only a great player, but great person and father.

When his son picked Stanford over Florida he gave a touching message on his support for his son.

mldardy

Reaction score

If he doesn't break his hand in that MNF against Minnesota who knows how many yards he has.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score

Frank Gore is 5'9.
Emmitt was hard to tackle too, short and compact, shifty, great body control in evading hits……all that added up to being durable as hell.