Emmitt Smith never tapped out

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Players pull themselves from games in the regular as a whole across the league. You guys just pay attention to Zeke to make yourselves feel better.

I've noticed this too. I've got a crazy theory (I'm sure I will get roasted for it) that some players are actually being taught to take themselves out. Most players have incentive clauses built in their contracts that can make them more money. Why take yourself out? Seems strange.

Praxit

Reaction score
Emmitt got paid in 93 after holding out the first two games and still rushed for almost 1500 yards that season. Everyone we paid this offseason hasn’t lived up to their contract except for Collins. DLaw our $100M man has the same number of sacks this season as a player we cut.
...lol.. how's that for irony. Taco also has 5 sacks and making an 1/8 of what Dlaw makes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yea because the media has never labelled a WR as a diva trouble maker. I'm sure letting that unfold on the sidelines on national TV wouldn't hurt his salary in upcoming free agency.

This is nothing more than you being mad at his production and the game outcome and making up a narrative to bash him. Please

They zeroed in on Cooper’s body language on a couple of plays and he looked like he didn’t want to be out there. They even mentioned he looked frustrated. He showed little effort on that ball that went over his head. He basically said the hell with it! He was taken out because he obviously didn’t want to be out there. Chido quit on a tackle and got benched. Nothing but a bunch of quitters! Philly was playing with a depleted squad and makeshift receivers and fought! Ertz breaks a rib and was in obvious pain but never quit. It was evident on Philly’s first drive they wanted the game more than the Cowboys. We showed no intensity the entire game. All we’ve seen this season is uninspired play by a bunch of underachieving, overpaid players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Emmitt used to take breathers too. Dont make it seem Elliot is taking himself out alot.

first 4 yrs Elliot
1151 carries 5283 yrds 39tds 186rec 1617yrds 7td

First 4 yrs Emmitt
1262 carries 5699yrds 50tds 189rec 1035yrds 3tds

All you lames can say all you want, but Elliot is holding his own with the all time leader in yrds and touches. But he's weak and has no stamina lol. Nobody has seen this amount of use since Emmitt. Probably only Gore

And Elliot would be out touching emmitt if he wouldnt have lost them 6 games.

He didn’t take breathers on critical third downs in division clinching games. Zeke is always looking to the sidelines to come out for a break. Anytime he gets out in space he just looks for someone to run into. He doesn’t get the most out of some of his carries. No elusiveness, just barrels into defenders.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
These highlights are a thing of beauty! Emmitt had burst and elusiveness. Look at how many defenders he makes miss. He possessed great vision and balance. Don’t anyone give me this crap it was all the OL, a lot of it was him and his ability to slither through defenders and find daylight. Despite his 4.6 40 time no one could run him down. Darrell Green caught him but Emmitt shook him off like a ragdoll. He made a Hall of Fame corner look like a chump. Roger Staubach was the greatest Cowboys player but Emmitt Smith was a close second. He made our 90s teams.

superonyx

Reaction score
They zeroed in on Cooper’s body language on a couple of plays and he looked like he didn’t want to be out there. They even mentioned he looked frustrated. He showed little effort on that ball that went over his head. He basically said the hell with it! He was taken out because he obviously didn’t want to be out there. Chido quit on a tackle and got benched. Nothing but a bunch of quitters! Philly was playing with a depleted squad and makeshift receivers and fought! Ertz breaks a rib and was in obvious pain but never quit. It was evident on Philly’s first drive they wanted the game more than the Cowboys. We showed no intensity the entire game. All we’ve seen this season is uninspired play by a bunch of underachieving, overpaid players.
All speculation from a coaching staff who is about to be unemployed. This has been said about Dez also. I remember JG and company throwing him under the bus when they needed a fall guy to deflect blame. This is what they do. Remember they floated the nonsense about Dez being only able to run 1 route. Then Beasley left and exposed them the way Dez did. Now its Coopers turn.

They line players up in unimaginative ways and just let the defense double them all night. This was why Gallup was getting so many balls. The cowboys believe in taking what the defense gives and too often this leads to Cooper being covered by more than 1 guy while the offense coaches just throw the ball everywhere else. No moving him around. No creating confusion for the defenses. I can't blame Cooper if he was frustrated. I can blame the coaches for allowing your most talented receiver to become an ignored decoy. This is Dez all over again. They were wrong then and they are wrong now.

We scored 6 points. This is completely on the coaching staff. The Dolphins, Giants and Skins lit the eagles defense up. We let them take away our 2 best weapons by doubling Cooper and Crashing the line to stop Zeke. We did nothing to make them pay. Cooper is an intelligent player. In fact I believe the coaches pulled him out of the game not because of anything he did wrong. I believe they pulled him because they were hoping to confuse the defense and make them guess who to double. It was the inability of the coaches to scheme guys open and beat what the eagles were doing.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Aikman said it himself: It’s all about stats and contracts now. No player cares about championships or pushing their limits nowadays. This is a league wide problem, but it’s a VERY huge problem with the Cowboys.

Funny but I see players in NE care a lot about championships. But I guess the culture there is of a football franchise and they are not run like Jerry’s party bus.

wrongway

Reaction score
Somehow lazy and weak Elliott (even with the suspension) is only 416 yards behind Smith over the course of 4 seasons, subtract whatever he does on Sunday.

Also, note that he has 382 more receiving yards than Smith had (with more games).

He has averaged 20.9 carries per game to Smith's 20.4 and averages 4.2 more yards per game.
You can have Elliott, Emmitt all day for me and it's not close.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Once we entered the crunch games key players started to regress. Dak started off great this season and has regressed. Amari started off great and has regressed. Robert Quinn started off like gangbusters and has disappeared. When your key players aren’t stepping up in December you’re in trouble.

DJordan23

Reaction score
This is what championship players and teams are all about. Week 17 of the 93 season with the NFC East title on the line. Heart and desire personified Emmitt Smith and our 90s team. Certainly didn’t see any of that this past Sunday.

Those were the days!! I may not be around to see the Cowboys enjoy success like that again...or I'll be too old to even care.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Somehow lazy and weak Elliott (even with the suspension) is only 416 yards behind Smith over the course of 4 seasons, subtract whatever he does on Sunday.

Also, note that he has 382 more receiving yards than Smith had (with more games).

He has averaged 20.9 carries per game to Smith's 20.4 and averages 4.2 more yards per game.

Would be a lot more just this year if were didn't abandon the run because they got so far behind.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those were the days!! I may not be around to see the Cowboys enjoy success like that again...or I'll be too old to even care.

Those of us who were around to see those glory days were very lucky! I feel for the younger fans who missed the 70s and the 90s.

DJordan23

Reaction score
Those of us who were around to see those glory days were very lucky! I feel for the younger fans who missed the 70s and the 90s.
Very much so...I mean, look at the HOF players from those teams and that era, we were truly experiencing greatness.

Reactions: KJJ

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He didn’t take breathers on critical third downs in division clinching games. Zeke is always looking to the sidelines to come out for a break. Anytime he gets out in space he just looks for someone to run into. He doesn’t get the most out of some of his carries. No elusiveness, just barrels into defenders.
it wasnt a breather. did you not see how his head hit the ground? to actually post something like this thinking a player would rather put his body in harm instead of wanting to run to free space is ridiculous. Its easier just to ignore it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
it wasnt a breather. did you not see how his head hit the ground? to actually post something like this thinking a player would rather put his body in harm instead of wanting to run to free space is ridiculous. Its easier just to ignore it.

He bumped his big fat head and was out for two plays one of which was critical. Did you see him go through a concussion protocol? He probably would’ve came out anyway because he was winded after that 8 yard run. Anytime he gets into open space he just looks for someone to run into. Not shifty and lacks burst. He’s clearly dropped off from his first two seasons. It’s noticeable to everyone it’s been talked about all season and not just here.

Last edited:

Thomas82

Reaction score
All speculation from a coaching staff who is about to be unemployed. This has been said about Dez also. I remember JG and company throwing him under the bus when they needed a fall guy to deflect blame. This is what they do. Remember they floated the nonsense about Dez being only able to run 1 route. Then Beasley left and exposed them the way Dez did. Now its Coopers turn.

They line players up in unimaginative ways and just let the defense double them all night. This was why Gallup was getting so many balls. The cowboys believe in taking what the defense gives and too often this leads to Cooper being covered by more than 1 guy while the offense coaches just throw the ball everywhere else. No moving him around. No creating confusion for the defenses. I can't blame Cooper if he was frustrated. I can blame the coaches for allowing your most talented receiver to become an ignored decoy. This is Dez all over again. They were wrong then and they are wrong now.

We scored 6 points. This is completely on the coaching staff. The Dolphins, Giants and Skins lit the eagles defense up. We let them take away our 2 best weapons by doubling Cooper and Crashing the line to stop Zeke. We did nothing to make them pay. Cooper is an intelligent player. In fact I believe the coaches pulled him out of the game not because of anything he did wrong. I believe they pulled him because they were hoping to confuse the defense and make them guess who to double. It was the inability of the coaches to scheme guys open and beat what the eagles were doing.

I don't see a lie here.

Praxit

Reaction score
..different mindset generation. Football was team sport, not ME sport.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He didn't play for Garrett! That's why.
No he didn't, and he didn't play in an era where players are what they are today.
The new NFL is all about the next contract, not being a hero, and winning championships, like the gladiators.
Todays Dallas Cowboys exemplifies the current standards.
Which is pay me and screw you...lol
Ban me but its the truth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what championship players and teams are all about. Week 17 of the 93 season with the NFC East title on the line. Heart and desire personified Emmitt Smith and our 90s team. Certainly didn’t see any of that this past Sunday.

Zeke tapping out was the idea of the coaching staff.

They decided to mimic the Marinelli DL rotation concept where Marinelli "guarantees" each DL that he will give him sufficient rest as long as each DL give "110%" effort when he is on the field.

I'm serious. That is what happened.

A couple of years ago Emmitt commented that Zeke needed to go out of bounds or go down after getting 1st downs, etc. in order to save his energy and his body.

The Cowboys coaching staff decided that a better option would be for Zeke to focus on giving "110%" effort when on the field but to tap out anytime he needed a rest or after he had taken a big hit.

In theory it's not a bad idea; however, from the emotional and momentum points of view, it's not really a good idea either.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Emmitt was the man.
He was as durable as they come.