Entire state of TX Winter Storm warning 1st time ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Yeah, we're getting power every other hour for a few minutes. Enough to charge devices and stay warm. Better than the whole system collapsing.

You guys have infrastructure to support it, since it is a yearly occurrence. We don't. It's never been this cold in Texas in my life, and I'm pushing 40.
I lived in Texas for 65 years and only saw it this cold or almost this cold once It only lasted a few hours this crap aint going away as fast

Flamma

Reaction score
They just tried to call me in to work.
:lmao:

In New Jersey you're expected to be at work no matter how much is snows. Unless you're a teacher. I'm 54 years old, been in the workforce for 36 years in the State of New Jersey and I have never driven to work in a snow storm. Never once, never will. However, a few times I had to drive home in it because it caught everyone by surprise.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
What's the purpose to this?

Lots of powerplants went offline, due to freezing and being unprepared for the situation. They're strategically blacking out neighborhoods on a schedule to prevent the entire grid from going down. Some people just don't have power. It's going to get worse tonight with lots of freezing rain.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lots of powerplants went offline, due to freezing and being unprepared for the situation. They're strategically blacking out neighborhoods on a schedule to prevent the entire grid from going down. Some people just don't have power. It's going to get worse tonight with lots of freezing rain.

I don't get it, what are they unprepared for? Everyone raising their thermostats to 72 degrees? How do they deal with everyone using their air conditioners? What am I missing here? We lose power here in NJ, but it's never intentional.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't get it, what are they unprepared for? Everyone raising their thermostats to 72 degrees? How do they deal with everyone using their air conditioners? What am I missing here? We lose power here in NJ, but it's never intentional.

Lots of power plants were literally frozen and taken off line. They don't have the winterization protocols you guys have in the north because we rarely get weather this bad. These are record temperatures we are seeing, across the entire state. Even places like Houston and Corpus are well below freezing. So all of these ill-prepared plants were taken out by mother nature, reducing capacity.

So massive demand, decreased supply = Grid instability. The only way to keep it up is to have rolling blackouts.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thankful to having not lost power or have pipes frozen. That's it. That's all.

The majority of my family in DFW have been displaced due to loss of power and frozen pipes including my elderly mother. So I'm thankful and anyone whose not going through it should be, as well.

Turk

Reaction score

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well why don't you use another site well known for its accuracy...

Like the National Enquirer...

I only post when there is something to post about. Drivel from anyone is not worth a post- unless I am really bored/

You bore me a lot but usually I just ignore you.
You were proved wrong and aren’t man enough to admit it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well why don't you use another site well known for its accuracy...

Like the National Enquirer...

I only post when there is something to post about. Drivel from anyone is not worth a post- unless I am really bored/

You bore me a lot but usually I just ignore you.
Here's the latest Einstein:

Texas Gas Service, the natural gas utility provider for Travis County and parts of Williamson County, on the morning of Feb. 16 sent out communications to its customers that it is “planning for shortages.”

“Due to the unprecedented, historically low temperatures over an extended period, we are seeing much higher natural gas use coupled with supply issues. As of this morning, our suppliers of natural gas are experiencing freezing gas wells due to the duration of the extreme cold. This is impacting the amount of gas they are able to provide to us,” the company wrote in an email to customers.

aria

Reaction score
First time I ever had to fight fire in single digit temps. I’m not sure what’s worse, wind chill in the negatives or ~115 degrees. It was interesting to say the least, completely different hazards and complications to think about.

Just read a story about 4 people in Houston (2 died of CO including a child) who were trying to stay warm with their car running in the garage. Stay safe and smart people.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First time I ever had to fight fire in single digit temps. I’m not sure what’s worse, wind chill in the negatives or ~115 degrees. It was interesting to say the least, completely different hazards and complications to think about.

Just read a story about 4 people in Houston (2 died of CO including a child) who were trying to stay warm with their car running in the garage. Stay safe and smart people.
I understand people not being used to the cold, but how stupid do you have to be to sit in a garage in a running car?......How did one of the parents not know enough to stop when one of them passed out, at the very least??

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand people not being used to the cold, but how stupid do you have to be to sit in a garage in a running car?......How did one of the parents not know enough to stop when one of them passed out, at the very least??
My question is why no one raised the garage door before getting into the car? The carbon monoxide would have likely not accumulated to a deadly level.

Status
Not open for further replies.