Entire state of TX Winter Storm warning 1st time ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk

Reaction score
* Thanks for clarification, that should provide well within nominal electrical draw parameters of an average dwelling,tho,I'm lacking personal knowledgement concerning submersible water well pumps / I'd never factored that into the stopgap/ emergency procedure of keeping the lights / modicum of normalcy rolling* ( I was just fixin' as to inquire unit wattage output):star:
well pumps are juice hogs. You need to find out how big a motor you have to figure that; on the side of them there is usually a plate telling you maximum draw in Amps. BUT always remember starting one takes a lot more. AND you might have two depending on your system; one to fill your tank and a booster pump to maintain pressure.

Flamma

Reaction score
If all the wind turbines have problems with this weather then why are they producing similar amounts of energy compared to previous years at this time and the fossil fuel generation is far below normal and causing rolling blackouts across the biggest energy producing state in the country? Huh Einstein? Or are you just going to continue to hurl childish insults? Man up and admit you were wrong or stay a coward.

The only problem I've heard with wind turbines is if the temperatures drop into the teens or single digits. This was back about a decade, so I do not know if it still applies. The problem is they themselves need to keep warm so the fluids don't freeze making them a liability. In other words, using more energy than they produce.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
well pumps are juice hogs. You need to find out how big a motor you have to figure that; on the side of them there is usually a plate telling you maximum draw in Amps. BUT always remember starting one takes a lot more. AND you might have two depending on your system; one to fill your tank and a booster pump to maintain pressure.
*I can be diggin' on what yer' plantin' there, BROUGHAM'S
:thumbup:

( Dude,,, you gotta' s***can that atrocious "Rowdy" avatard,,, most ricky-tick TOO!!! as there's prolly less than a half a fistful of fellow forum members here,who genuinely consider their imparted participation as to being steadily revelent ,,,just saying*:star:

((

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've replaced the pump a couple of times, and the storage tank as well. There's only one pump, and IIRC, it's a two line system, which uses gravity to help the pump?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The only problem I've heard with wind turbines is if the temperatures drop into the teens or single digits. This was back about a decade, so I do not know if it still applies. The problem is they themselves need to keep warm so the fluids don't freeze making them a liability. In other words, using more energy than they produce.
They don’t use more energy than they produce otherwise they would all go bankrupt.

there are articles after articles out right more about what has caused the Texas energy crisis going on right now. It’s a combination of issues by far of which has been the failure of oil, gas and coal infrastructure failures. There have been some wind turbine failures as well in west Texas but the wind farms along the gulf are producing more than normally because of the increase in wind velocity with all these weather systems rolling through. Solar has had reduced production because of the snow and clouds. But again the biggest culprit has been failures in fossil fuel infrastructure.

I’m not against fossil fuels. We currently need it because it provides the majority of our energy needs. But it is not a renewable source and will eventually run out. It behooves us to prepare now and start using renewable sources and wean off of finite resources like fossil fuels. It will also be a tremendous help with climate change.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It's 4800/5300 watts. Plenty of power for my small house.
I did the math so long ago I've forgotten it but after all the ciphering I ended up with a 5kw unit to run our operation the couple times a year we usually need to.

I avoid the max draw scenario of fridge/freezer/water heater/well pump/heater fan all firing up at the same time but that's easy to manage.

Flamma

Reaction score
They don’t use more energy than they produce otherwise they would all go bankrupt.

there are articles after articles out right more about what has caused the Texas energy crisis going on right now. It’s a combination of issues by far of which has been the failure of oil, gas and coal infrastructure failures. There have been some wind turbine failures as well in west Texas but the wind farms along the gulf are producing more than normally because of the increase in wind velocity with all these weather systems rolling through. Solar has had reduced production because of the snow and clouds. But again the biggest culprit has been failures in fossil fuel infrastructure.

I’m not against fossil fuels. We currently need it because it provides the majority of our energy needs. But it is not a renewable source and will eventually run out. It behooves us to prepare now and start using renewable sources and wean off of finite resources like fossil fuels. It will also be a tremendous help with climate change.

I didn't say they used more energy than they produced. Nor am I claiming they're responsible for the lack of power in this situation. Only when temperatures drop so low that keeping them running causes this to happen. Wind turbines are usually kept warm by electric heaters.

I've been through many blizzards here in the northeast. I just can't remember the last one that was single digit temps. That adds an entirely new element of crap to an already bad situation.

Turk

Reaction score
I did the math so long ago I've forgotten it but after all the ciphering I ended up with a 5kw unit to run our operation the couple times a year we usually need to.

I avoid the max draw scenario of fridge/freezer/water heater/well pump/heater fan all firing up at the same time but that's easy to manage.
Well it depends as regards easy to manage. Depends on what you have. When looking at a backup generator you have two ways to go about it: install it with a transfer switch to completely take the place of utility power or just use it to supplement. The transfer switch comes in two models: automatic and manual. Manual one you have to do; automatic ones are a lot more expensive since they are set up to start the generator up as soon as the power fails; there is a pause that can be programmed if you live in an area that has fairly frequent short power outages that will not keep turning the generator on and off when you do not need it.

To just supplement basically means you are using extension cords. Now you can do that with a microwave, or a refrigerator and some lights but not really with a furnace or installed equipment like water pumps.

As regards the size of your backup system that obviously varies immensely. The last two houses my mother had were equipped with back up generators with a manual switch in the first and an automatic one in the second. The first one was sort of jerry built; we did the wiring ourselves and then got an electrician to approve it. The second one was professionally done. I have lived in an for several years and also for a few years in a house with a backup generator so I have a fair amount of experience in all of this.

The vast majority of backup generators professionally installed use natural gas; hooked up to the system. They are fairly expensive to buy and install. Upwards of $10,000 and above. Most of them are set up so that once a month they start up and run for a few minutes; and if something is wrong they have either an alarm or a flashing light. Usually one inside the house as well.

You can do your own a lot cheaper of course if you are willing to do more of it yourself. The biggest thing is wiring it up; you need a electrician to either install it or approve it because if you don't and there is a fire the insurance company will not pay out. You can get a good quality portable generator of 7500 running watts for around $1000. Dual fuel is the way to go. If not that then frankly go with propane since as I earlier posted it does not deteriorate as gasoline does. In one year gas will start to lose its octane power and in two years its not going to be worth a whole lot. Staballoy will give you an extra year but that is all. A 7500 watt generator will use when under a big load around half a gallon an hour of gas and a little more of propane.

Oh and a side note: those propane bottles you see used in barbecues are typically what are called 20 pound containers. Why that is who knows? they have when full around 4.5 gallons of propane. The next size is 30 lbs and have around 7 gallons; then comes 40 lb bottles that have about 9 gallons in them. then comes the big 100 lb bottles that have just under 25 gallons in them. Needless to say the bigger they are the heavier they are and the more they cost. a 20 lb bottle you can exchange for $20 or so; to buy them is a far amount more expensive. 30 lb bottles are usually around $70 or so; and 40 lb around $100. 100 lb are $150 and above.

Propane can be gotten - tanks refueled- at a fair number of places. Expect to pay around 50 cents a gallon more than regular gasoline.

The only thing to think about as regards your professionally installed system running on natural gas is what to do if that runs out. Does not happen often but it has; if the gas company cannot keep the system going and pressure drops too low. the really cautious have their backup system set up to run on either Propane or Natural gas and you can switch back and forth.

Most of this comes down to how concerned you are and how much you want to spend.

As the saying goes about any fool can solve most problems if you throw enough money at it. The smart ones figure out how to do it with less.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you want a whole house generator to take care of the basics like furnace fan, lights, microwave and refrigerator then you are looking at around a 7500 watt generator; because you want one that can handle all of them running at the same time.

Problem with both refrigerators and furnace fans is that the initial surge is a lot higher then the steady pull and THAT is what you have to have the capacity for.

Now a/c is even more of a juice hog especially at start up; you need at least 18 amps at 120 volts which is 2160 watts JUST for that; now once its running it will go down to around 12 amps (depending on its size) which is 1440 watts.
you have to calculate all of that for each item you want to run on the generator and always add 10% just in case.
My grandmother god rest her soul, used to have a whole house generator that was powered by propane. She had all kinds of health and mobility needs and being without power was not an option for her.

so we got a big generator and propane tank installed that could power the whole house if needed.

Expensive. But it was a life saver when hurricane sandy hit and her neighborhood lost power for a week.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas broke a 70 year record with -4 below zero yesterday. We’ve been below freezing since last Wednesday breaking another record for longest consecutive days and hours below freezing.

The 4-8 inches of snow along with ice and freezing temperatures has caused wide power outages with over 4 million without power in Texas.

In my 66 years had never experienced this type of power outage and total extended shutdown. Initially down 32 hours. Now it’s in a rolling blackout where it’s on for 3-4 hours and shut off for 7-8 hours. Today was first morning since Sunday woke up to power . Fortunately we had enough firewood, to sleep by the fire overnight maintaining a safe but chilly inside temperature . And butane and charcoal to cook on the patio. But most newer houses are all electric.

Many of our neighbors weren’t as prepared and had to seek shelter in motels or nearby friends and family. But many of them of course lost power too but hopefully had more supplies.

This part of the country simply isn’t prepared for this extended caliber of Artic blast. We don’t have basements or generators . There are no snow plows to clear the roads. Basically have to wait for it to melt or thaw out. Most business including most all eateries and fast food have been closed since Sunday. Only those who had generator backup opened like Walmart and a couple convenience stores. But their shelves are all wiped out as no deliveries of new supplies have been made since weekend.

Good news is ice and snowfall expected to end today and above freezing tomorrow and back to normal by weekend . By next week high temps back into the 60’s and 70’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d always enjoyed the rare snowfall we’d received over the years and wished it had stayed in the ground longer as it’s usually gone the next day. But this was awful. The snow is still piled up for several days now. No fun without power and normal conveniences.

No wonder all of these Snowbirds come down to Texas every year. And more people moving here to retire. Must be awful having your lives so inconvenienced for several weeks and months a year.

This brutal experience had forever changed my outlook and view on a fun snow day. Y’all can have it. If I want an extended winter experience I’ll come visit where you’re prepared to handle it.

I’ll never complain about our hot summers again. I’m so ready for shorts and flip flops next week again. And back to the golf course. Best winter weather usually In Texas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The second largest wind farm and most dependent on that for energy in the US is in Iowa. Ask those people how cold it gets there.

Denmark has been reliant, RELIANT, on wind farms for over a decade.

The spokesperson for ERCOT, the energy controller for Texas, has already disputed these reports blaming this on wind power. He said that is a very small part of the problem.

Texas is being exposed for what it is, the most corrupt state in this country. There are people in leadership roles that should be prosecuted for manslaughter.

You are going to see some reports coming out about the wealthy neighborhoods in central Texas that never lost power and some of the poorer ones never rotated out of the rolling blackout, they were told 40 minutes and it's been over 48 hours. There are going to be a lot of people ashamed of Texas, this was not our finest hour.

Turk

Reaction score
The second largest wind farm and most dependent on that for energy in the US is in Iowa. Ask those people how cold it gets there.

The spokesperson for ERCOT, the energy controller for Texas, has already disputed these reports blaming this on wind power. He said that is a very small part of the problem.

Texas is being exposed for what it is, the most corrupt state in this country. There are people in leadership roles that should be prosecuted for manslaughter.

You are going to see some reports coming out about the wealthy neighborhoods in central Texas that never lost power and some of the poorer ones never rotated out of the rolling blackout, they were told 40 minutes and it's been over 48 hours. There are going to be a lot of people ashamed of Texas, this was not our finest hour.
California, Illinois, Louisiana and New Jersey say high as regards corruption.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The mild winters in Texas over the past few years have resulted in the insects being really bad in the summertime. This extended freeze has been sorely needed. The bug population should now be somewhat tolerable. Just trying to put a positive spin on the situation. :)

catiii

Reaction score

I was gonna say something similar but I was askeered to. Well said! (and now of course my Spectrum internet is down to add insult to injury..using wifi hotspot from cell phone data.. my family is dispersed, on water boil orders, sis in SAT been without power and water for 3 days) FYI some on ERCOT are NOT Texas residents and at least one is not a resident of the United States - no joke.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mild winters in Texas over the past few years have resulted in the insects being really bad in the summertime. This extended freeze has been sorely needed. The bug population should now be somewhat tolerable. Just trying to put a positive spin on the situation. :)
Man, agree with that. Saw skeeters last summer big enough to stand flat footed and make love to a turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.