ESPN: Cowboys rookie Jourdan Lewis to stand trial for domestic violence charge

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys rookie Jourdan Lewis to stand trial for domestic violence charge

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive back Jourdan Lewiswill stand trial for one charge of domestic violence next week.

Lewis attended a pretrial hearing Thursday morning, where he and his attorney made it clear they intended to fight the charge.

He was charged with the misdemeanor in March after a late-night altercation with a woman who was his girlfriend at the time. The woman told police that Lewis grabbed her by the neck and held her to the floor for roughly three seconds before leaving the apartment they shared.

Lewis said any contact he had with the woman was made in an attempt to leave the apartment.

Police said they saw no visible injuries when they arrived at the scene.

"Some cases have to be tried," said John Shea, Lewis' attorney. "This is one of them."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...an-lewis-stand-trial-domestic-violence-charge

diefree666

Reaction score
So he held her down for three seconds and left. Sounds to me like she was going off and he did what he needed to so as to leave the room without being scratched, bit, whatever. And they call that domestic violence. What a pile of horse dung.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
So he held her down for three seconds and left. Sounds to me like she was going off and he did what he needed to so as to leave the room without being scratched, bit, whatever. And they call that domestic violence. What a pile of horse dung.
Brother, my buddy, a Marine, slapped burning mail out of his girlfriend's hand, that she had lit on fire in a fit of jealous rage and he got 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling (that he was able to do at a Vet Center, thankfully, and the charges were subsequently dismissed). I guess he shoulda let her burn the place down. Or got a squirt gun.

DV is certainly real, but also overblown sometimes.

Can't stand it when people make assumptions without knowing the facts, like some in this thread.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Brother, my buddy, a Marine, slapped burning mail out of his girlfriend's hand, that she had lit on fire in a fit of jealous rage and he got 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling (that he was able to do at a Vet Center, thankfully, and the charges were subsequently dismissed). I guess he shoulda let her burn the place down. Or got a squirt gun.

DV is certainly real, but also overblown sometimes.

Can't stand it when people make assumptions without knowing the facts, like some in this thread.
What irks me the most is the women that cry wolf "zekes ex" and no charges are filed against them. I can almost guarantee if Zeke had gone after her for slander or making false claims to police or what have you, the NFL's investigation would have been closed long ago.

DFWJC

Reaction score
What irks me the most is the women that cry wolf "zekes ex" and no charges are filed against them. I can almost guarantee if Zeke had gone after her for slander or making false claims to police or what have you, the NFL's investigation would have been closed long ago.
There should be very harsh penalties for false accusations that could trash an innocent man or women's future.
We're starting see the repercussions more of lies. The college student who made up rape charges that trashed a few players scholarships could serve jail time, for example.

dallasdave

Reaction score
There should be very harsh penalties for false accusations that could trash an innocent man or women's future.
We're starting see the repercussions more of lies. The college student who made up rape charges that trashed a few players scholarships could serve jail time, for example.
Well said my friend. Things don't get swept under the rug-they hang on out there like a ball and chain.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the prosecution will be sorely tested to prove guilt in Lewis' case. There seems to be plenty of skepticism about his being found guilty among most of those familiar with his case, including Lewis, himself. I am reasonably optimistic that he'll be found innocent. It does appear to be his word against hers and that almost always spells trouble for the prosecution. Scorned women sometimes have a way of exaggerating their accusations, to say the least. He'll walk away with no backlash, I'll bet.

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think the prosecution will be sorely tested to prove guilt in Lewis' case. There seems to be plenty of skepticism about his being found guilty among most of those familiar with his case, including Lewis, himself. I am reasonably optimistic that he'll be found innocent. It seems to be his word against hers and that almost always spells trouble for the prosecution.
And that's no BULL :lmao2:

Western

Reaction score
By not settling this at the hearing today, putting this case in front a jury always carries a risk.
The prosecution has the burden, but a criminal jury trial can be dicey, depending on the jurors & the fairness of the Judge.
His legal team better be competent.

Under Michigan law, if he is find guilty of this misdemeanor domestic violence charge and this is his first offense, the penalty is imprisonment of 93 days or a fine of not more than $500 or both.
So if he is find guilty, possible look at least 3 months in the big house.
Depending on the Judge, the sentencing may occur immediately, or at a later Sentencing hearing (also by not settling, and if he is convicted, the prosecutor may recommend a harsher sentence to the Judge).

Not sure that the Judge is gonna accommodate the interests of Jerry Jones and the Boys, if and when the sentencing occurs.
Potentially could be a lost or severely derailed season (no training camp, no preseason, no familiarity with the defensive schemes, etc.) for Lewis, if he is find guilty.