ESPN: Cowboys rookie Jourdan Lewis to stand trial for domestic violence charge

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Police said they saw no visible injuries when they arrived at the scene." So it's just he said, she said? How does that merit a DV charge that goes to trial? :facepalm:

CooterBrown

Reaction score
"visible injury" is not a legal standard for assault, (or assault and battery as some states call it). Bodily injury is required, but bodily injury is anything that caused pain. A finger thumb on the nose would probably hurt, but wouldn't leave a visible mark. It is still bodily injury under the law and if done without the thumpee's consent it is the same as a black eye from a criminal charge standpoint. The only difference is that the black eye usually carries a stiffer sentence.

Aven8

Reaction score
Because the DA in Ann Arbor has nothing better to do or what???

Frozen700

Reaction score
You know you have those holier than thou types on here. To many of them, as a matter of fact.

I'd love for them to post their personal information so we can research them

Sadly the people on here who cry and ***** about these types of things, don't have the balls to show us their resume. Instead they might make an excuse like " it's for my own personal protection"

Knowing damn well they probably have done more embarrassing things in their life.

It's usually the insecure type. Knock another down to feel better about their life

erod

Reaction score
I'd love for them to post their personal information so we can research them

Sadly the people on here who cry and ***** about these types of things, don't have the balls to show us their resume. Instead they might make an excuse like " it's for my own personal protection"

Knowing damn well they probably have done more embarrassing things in their life.

It's usually the insecure type. Knock another down to feel better about their life
I've just hired and fired a bajillion people, and I've heard every excuse in the book for way too long.

Integrity/character is rarer than the Hope diamond.

Frozen700

Reaction score
What irks me the most is the women that cry wolf "zekes ex" and no charges are filed against them. I can almost guarantee if Zeke had gone after her for slander or making false claims to police or what have you, the NFL's investigation would have been closed long ago.

I always felt like to stop all the false claims, and bull**** is to charge the female the max amount of years the man would have gotten if found guilty. Especially if it's been proven to be a made up story.

That would put an end to false claims.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I wonder how many of these domestic abuse allegations are legit? It does make me wonder how many of these woman are looking for an easy payday by shaking down potential millionaires? As soon as Lewis becomes a starter the NFL will begin an endless investigation, because judge, jury and executioner Goodell/Mara know they are better than the police, DA and juries...

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"visible injury" is not a legal standard for assault, (or assault and battery as some states call it). Bodily injury is required, but bodily injury is anything that caused pain. A finger thumb on the nose would probably hurt, but wouldn't leave a visible mark. It is still bodily injury under the law and if done without the thumpee's consent it is the same as a black eye from a criminal charge standpoint. The only difference is that the black eye usually carries a stiffer sentence.
Thanks for your comments -- I should preface my reply by stating I am not a lawyer. Your note tweaked my interest regarding the difference between assault and battery vs. DV. This is what I found in the statutes for Colorado:

domestic violence means any assault or battery, aggravated assault or battery, sexual assault or battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.

If, instead of DV, the alleged victim had accused Lewis of assault and battery, he could have been charged for simply threatening and touching.

What does it all mean? Who knows, but from my very limited view-point, it would appear that without any evidence of physical violence, the charges are either dropped or, at worst, he is fined.