News: ESPN: Dak not fretting on deal: 'I don't play for money'

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You don't play for money huh? Then how about agree on a Tom Brady like deal that pays you a lot but leaves cap room for the cowboys to build a strong team around you?

I don't belive anything coming out of Mr choke artists mouth anymore.
Or take a longer deal, that'll allow restructuring.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
If he is hearing those footsteps he must have some of the best hearing in the world. At the start of last season Lance was inferior to Sam Darnold meaning he was not a top 50 NFL QB. There are multiple tiers between that. You have the 3rd string level QB he was, then a low end backup, high end backup, low end starter, low end franchise QB (think Goff) and then you have the top 10 QBs. Those are all the tiers that separated them so the idea that he could leap through all of those in a single year to be an actual threat is laughable to me.
Trey doesn't have to leap all those tiers in a year. He just has to show progress, he's younger, with a higher talent ceiling than Dak, if he's showing signs of putting it together which way do as a franchise go? 55 mil a year for Dak who has obviously reached his ceiling, or the younger kid with untapped potential?

Adreme

Reaction score
Trey doesn't have to leap all those tiers in a year. He just has to show progress, he's younger, with a higher talent ceiling than Dak, if he's showing signs of putting it together which way do as a franchise go? 55 mil a year for Dak who has obviously reached his ceiling, or the younger kid with untapped potential?
Im not sure what the basis for a higher ceiling is. He has shown nothing at any point at any level that says he can play at the level of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Lamar. At some point though players are what they are. He will be entering his 4th season and if you are going to tell me that the sum total of that progress is he will look like a mid tier backup then that is not really encouraging if you want him to start in 2 years even if it would be a massive leap forward for him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If he doesn't play for money, then give a team friendly deal.

I don't care that players go for major contracts, but don't attempt to lie about it. It's about the money.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
also by saying he will let his agent handle all that , was stupid, because everyone knows his agent will try to get
as much $ as possible.
Everyone knows what he said was a lie, they all play for the money, but they all dont want a market setting contract.d
he does, and cd does too, which is why they should get rid of both of them.

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm done with the guy, I defended him on here for a long time and he is past the point of no return...even stats wise last season he wasn't as good as some make him out to be, qbr he was 11th...he is a fraud
I mean he was 2nd in quarterback rating, 1st in TDs, 3rd in yards, 2nd in INT %, and 2nd in completion %. You can make whatever complaints you want about how much you want to believe the numbers but it’s a lie to say the numbers were not great.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great news, can you give us back a 100 million on your way out?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean he was 2nd in quarterback rating, 1st in TDs, 3rd in yards, 2nd in INT %, and 2nd in completion %. You can make whatever complaints you want about how much you want to believe the numbers but it’s a lie to say the numbers were not great.
But when the pressures on those #s go out the window.
What about 2023 season when he led the world in ints? This past season was the perfect storm, he had a new system, a WR and TE who were wide open, and a collection of horrible defenses he faced. However as usual when the competition stepped up, Dak went south. Same story his whole career. This will not end well, his teammates know he folds, they will all have a look at Lance and they'll want the best guy behind them, and it's not Dak. This is Treys job to win and try to keep, if not we'll aquire a new QB in 2025.
Jerry made up his mind Dak was not the guy last year in TC, now change is upon us.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I can't believe he would say something like this. How does he sleep at night?

Oh wait...

Adreme

Reaction score
But when the pressures on those #s go out the window.
What about 2023 season when he led the world in ints? This past season was the perfect storm, he had a new system, a WR and TE who were wide open, and a collection of horrible defenses he faced. However as usual when the competition stepped up, Dak went south. Same story his whole career. This will not end well, his teammates know he folds, they will all have a look at Lance and they'll want the best guy behind them, and it's not Dak. This is Treys job to win and try to keep, if not we'll aquire a new QB in 2025.
Jerry made up his mind Dak was not the guy last year in TC, now change is upon us.
I mean Dak's career INT % is something like 7th best all time at 1.9%. You are right that 2 years ago his number of 3.8 was not good but it is also more than double every other year since his 2nd year in the NFL. To reiterate for the last 6 seasons here are his INT %: 1.5, 1.8, 1.8, 1.7, 3.8, and 1.5. The 3.5 is very clearly the outlier number.

His teammates know those numbers. His teammates know he was 2nd in the MVP race and 2nd team all pro. You are right they are going to start the best guy and it is going to be the unquestioned top 10 QB and not the guy who is probably not a top 40 QB. Trey Lance has one path to the starting job and it is an injury. Every person in that locker room knows Lance is not as good. They will all say nice things and try to hype him up but that is what every team tries to do to their backup especially when the starting job is locked up.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I mean Dak's career INT % is something like 7th best all time at 1.9%. You are right that 2 years ago his number of 3.8 was not good but it is also more than double every other year since his 2nd year in the NFL. To reiterate for the last 6 seasons here are his INT %: 1.5, 1.8, 1.8, 1.7, 3.8, and 1.5. The 3.5 is very clearly the outlier number.

His teammates know those numbers. His teammates know he was 2nd in the MVP race and 2nd team all pro. You are right they are going to start the best guy and it is going to be the unquestioned top 10 QB and not the guy who is probably not a top 40 QB. Trey Lance has one path to the starting job and it is an injury. Every person in that locker room knows Lance is not as good. They will all say nice things and try to hype him up but that is what every team tries to do to their backup especially when the starting job is locked up.
His teammates mom's must have not gotten that memo?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are the most underqualified luckiest BUM QB ever to join the NFL and you say what????
I Wouldn't care if you were worth the bucks but you suck man!!!!
Now go elsewhere and have them try and carry your inept self but that won't last very long will it now Daktrash???

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can see not playing for money but that doesn’t mean he will play for less than his worth either. Both can be true.
Agreed, but just like Jerry's "all in" can come with a few different definitions and will be repeated by fans every chance they get I get the feeling so will this. Part of the fan base will be expecting a discount from this comment, another part of the fan base will repeat it every chance that it's given to them to use it as an easy one liner. It certainly gives the anti Dak crowd some ammunition.

I get what he was trying to say here, but being a Cowboy up for a new mega contract every word out of his mouth gets magnified 10x. Had he said what he said minus the "I don't play for money" it's probably not a multi page thread right now.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are people acting like this is an unusual thing to say? NFL players say it “isn’t about the money” all the time when seeking a new deal.

Or is it just another opportunity to seethe in anger at Prescott over nothing?
Who is seething?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The only thing that should ever come out of his mouth is acknowledgement that he has been a huge part of the problem in the post season and that all he can do is work as hard as he can to try to be better next time. He thinks he is a big stud QB. His season ending games is starting to become an absolute clown show blooper reel.