News: ESPN: Dak not fretting on deal: 'I don't play for money'

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You don't play for money huh? Then how about agree on a Tom Brady like deal that pays you a lot but leaves cap room for the cowboys to build a strong team around you?

I don't belive anything coming out of Mr choke artists mouth anymore.
you did know this past year we had 15M on the cap? and in 2022 we had about 20M. so, where are these players to build a strong team around you speak of?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sounds to me like 1 of 2 things:

Lance looks more formidable than Dak thought he would and he feels the heat.

or

Dak is terrified to leave the comforting no consequence environment that has been created for him in Dallas and join a team that will hold him accountable that he is putting it out there he might be willing to not break the bank again and take a slight discount.

Either way this isn't the "confident a deal will be done Dak" we've seen in the past.

I think option 2 is too little too late. He's been a loser far to long to warrant another contract here. Tough luck and enjoy your new team next year, Dak!
Lance will truly be the first real competition Dak has had. Admittedly, Dak enters the year as the unquestioned number 1 QB, but could be an injury away from getting Romo'd.

shabazz

Reaction score
Nothing good usually happens when players start talking about money

Saying " I don't play for the money" usually means, " I'm financially set for life so the goal is now to win a championship".....

But, than he says, " I'll leave it up to the business people to decide what I'm worth"......Dak can easily instruct his agent to not break the bank....if he really wanted that.

So, in reality, nothing has changed. The " Business Person" is his agent that Dak is worth north of 55 Million per year..........no, there will be no team friendly deal.

No hate......just logic. And more, importantly, just business.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not sure what the basis for a higher ceiling is. He has shown nothing at any point at any level that says he can play at the level of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Lamar. At some point though players are what they are. He will be entering his 4th season and if you are going to tell me that the sum total of that progress is he will look like a mid tier backup then that is not really encouraging if you want him to start in 2 years even if it would be a massive leap forward for him.
Entering 4th season....but hes had some setbacks. Why dont we just consider him our 2024 4th rounder? Kinda reset things a bit.

Or we could just tear him up for 3rd year bust.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lance will truly be the first real competition Dak has had. Admittedly, Dak enters the year as the unquestioned number 1 QB, but could be an injury away from getting Romo'd.
I think horrible play could do it too.

Imagine going into the bye at 2-4 with Dak playing abysmal football and the last time we saw Lance was him lighting it up in preseason.

I think this preseason is going to be very important for the QB position.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed, but just like Jerry's "all in" can come with a few different definitions and will be repeated by fans every chance they get I get the feeling so will this. Part of the fan base will be expecting a discount from this comment, another part of the fan base will repeat it every chance that it's given to them to use it as an easy one liner. It certainly gives the anti Dak crowd some ammunition.

I get what he was trying to say here, but being a Cowboy up for a new mega contract every word out of his mouth gets magnified 10x. Had he said what he said minus the "I don't play for money" it's probably not a multi page thread right now.
I don’t know man I think at this point he could cure cancer and people would complain what took him so long lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well first Lance has to beat out Rush. He has a long ways to go right now the only thing keeping him on this team is his draft status.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Fine, give it to Me then, My Butler is bellyaching about a pay rise.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Im not sure what the basis for a higher ceiling is. He has shown nothing at any point at any level that says he can play at the level of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Lamar. At some point though players are what they are. He will be entering his 4th season and if you are going to tell me that the sum total of that progress is he will look like a mid tier backup then that is not really encouraging if you want him to start in 2 years even if it would be a massive leap forward for him.
Sounds like we going to have to wait until we see him on the field. Because neither of us know for sure what this kid is capable of.

Adreme

Reaction score
Entering 4th season....but hes had some setbacks. Why dont we just consider him our 2024 4th rounder? Kinda reset things a bit.

Or we could just tear him up for 3rd year bust.
He is entering his 4th season. His setbacks have been not being good enough to even be a backup. His setback last year was not being good enough to beat out Sam Darnold for a backup job. Meanwhile every time he saw the field in his first 2 years his setback was being wildly inaccurate.

The thing about pretending he is a 2024 4th rounder is he is going to not be on a rookie deal after this year. If he starts next year and even looks like Goff out there (so a tier below Dak) he is going to get 2 years 90 million plus the 40 million in dead cap after Dak leaves. Now I think it is highly unlikely he looks good if he gets any play time based on the past 3 years of seeing him try to play but again the best case scenario does not save money and has you downgrading at QB for the same level of cap hit and just hoping in 2-3 years maybe some nice drafts can you get back into contention.

Sandyf

Reaction score
FRAUDO laying it on think once again.
Great PR guy lousy QB!
Will agree with the great PR but regardless of what any fan thinks, the NFL and oddsmakers believe Dak is a top ten if not top five QB especially under McCarthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fair point. A good chunk of fans already have their mind made up on Dak and won’t move off that stance for anything.
Yeah even if he won a ring. Realistically they are probably the minority. I think a lot just want him being to get to a SB or move on. Which is understandable.

Adreme

Reaction score
Sounds like we going to have to wait until we see him on the field. Because neither of us know for sure what this kid is capable of.
I mean I have seen him play in the NFL for 2 years and then fail to beat out Sam Darnold last year. That is plenty of evidence that he does not have it. I have seen him be wildly inaccurate for his entire tenure with SF.

Now you are right players can get better but by that logic do not sign Lamb because a random undrafted FA might be the next Jerry Rice and you do not know that he is not. However that is a silly idea because history suggests that such a thing is unlikely. Similarly it would be rare for a player who has shown for 3 years he cannot play so suddenly be even a top 15 QB forget an actual upgrade over a top 10 one.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
spaceballs.gif