ESPN Dallas: Jerry Jones to dine with Dez Bryant... runs 4.52 at pro day

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alexander;3325144 said:
I would keep Crayton and make Ogletree and Hurd chisel their way on the roster. One of the those two might even have some trade value, if even for a late round choice. Competition would be the best thing in the world for that position. Adding a dynamic player like Bryant would be a huge win.

I imagine if we select Dez than Crayton will be traded the next day.

Personally I would cut ties with Roy and keep Crayton but I don't think that is what we would do.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dez may not be that bad -- I don't claim to know for sure. None of us do.

But my point is, I don't think Jerry will learn whether he is or not over a dinner conversation. Jerry should have all kinds of good contacts at OSU who could tell him the true scoop on the guy's behavior over a period of years, and that would be far more valuable than talking to him for an hour or so.

Jerry seems to think he has some special ability to take in these troubled guys and turn them around, but experience shows that he doesn't.

nfl_i_pacman_jjones_300.jpg

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CATCH17;3325152 said:
I imagine if we select Dez than Crayton will be traded the next day.

I doubt it. Crayton is still a quality special teams player and has proven to be an asset from the slot. I doubt he would be "traded the next day". Even as a third or fourth receiver, he would have value. That fourth spot could be occupied by Bryant, with the winner of the Ogletree/Hurd battle getting the spot if I were running the team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alexander;3325155 said:
I doubt it. Crayton is still a quality special teams player and has proven to be an asset from the slot. I doubt he would be "traded the next day". Even as a third or fourth receiver, he would have value. That fourth spot could be occupied by Bryant, with the winner of the Ogletree/Hurd battle getting the spot if I were running the team.

Ogletree and Hurd isn't a contest.

If you listen to Babe Laufenberg last year Roy had a tough time holding off Ogletree last year and believes he will easily pass him this year.

Hurd is a great coverage guy on special teams and Dez can do everything Crayton does.

So clearly Crayton is the odd man out.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3325089 said:
This is worrying me a little. I hope Jerry isn't back in Pacman/Tank mode where he thinks he can singlehandedly turn these guys around.

He wouldn't forget the lesson of last year's offseason so quickly, would he?
I don't think he got rid of Tank because of "off the field issues." He got rid of him because he oddly turned out to be a complete waste of a roster spot.

He would have kept Pacman if the guy could have actually stayed out of trouble in Dallas.

I just don't think he would (or should) ever just completely rule out players with potential red flags if they have the talent. It's all about the risk/reward calculation. You have to weigh both sides.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;3325170 said:
I don't think he got rid of Tank because of "off the field issues." He got rid of him because he oddly turned out to be a complete waste of a roster spot.

He would have kept Pacman if the guy could have actually stayed out of trouble in Dallas.

I just don't think he would (or should) ever just completely rule out players with potential red flags if they have the talent. It's all about the risk/reward calculation. You have to weigh both sides.
Johnson was also a disruptive force on the field. His antics in that final game in Philadelphia were the final straw. He went for the same reason Owens did. His usefulness on the team did not outweigh the bad from his personality.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I have a feeling that some people will get mad at Jerry for passing on Dez like he did Santonio Holmes.. News out of Pittsburg are not good on him.. Stay away from shady characters Jerry.. So what if 1-10 turn it around.. 9-10 don't..

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
While training for today's Pro Day, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant reportedly ran a 4.32 forty-yard dash last week.

Repeating the time could get Bryant back into the top-ten conversation. It remains to be seen what he'll run with 20 NFL teams expected to be on hand Tuesday, but another sub-4.4 would vehemently quell concerns that he lacks ideal speed and has been out of shape. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bryant is expected to dine with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Wednesday.

Per Rotoworld.

Now you guys don't have to worry about his character, whew!

This is all "reportedly", btw.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't think he's like Tank or PacMan bad in that he doesn't seem to have any criminal tendencies, he just seems like a product of an environment without structure. But I think he's still got a lot of life lessons ahead of him, and if you're playing for the Dallas Cowboys you're not going to learn those lessons low key and under the radar.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;3325193 said:
Johnson was also a disruptive force on the field. His antics in that final game in Philadelphia were the final straw. He went for the same reason Owens did. His usefulness on the team did not outweigh the bad from his personality.
That last game was the only evidence I have of this and I think at that point it was obvious that the staff didn't want him next season so he was "acting out."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;3325139 said:
He had dinner with Moss too, buttered him up that he was going to be Dallas' pick if available and then he promptly took Greg Ellis.

The only flashback he should have is how he passed on an elite receiver for an average end because he was scared off by character concerns.
I used to know a guy who was playing at Arizona that was a cousin to Moss. He said Moss was a huge Cowboys fan and Jerry assured him he was our pick.

I had a giant draft party at my house that day and I was talking trash like you cannot believe. I was telling them how he was the greatest WR ever and going to be better then Jerry Rice and I was going to rub it in.

When the pick was on the way to the podium I made everyone shut the hell up. Dead silence in my living room. When the name was read I was the laughing stock of Tucson. My friends were all over each other laughing. I stood there in dead silence. I was numb all over.

I did hear that Jerry tried to get back into round 1 to take Randy, but couldn't. I have always believed one reason why Randy just kills us is to rub it in to Jerry.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3325202 said:
Per Rotoworld.

Al Davis just had a heartbeat.

reddyuta

Reaction score
jerry is doing his homework.for the record trading up for anybody in this draft is a bad idea,especially for a team missing a 5th rd draft pick.

jcollins28

Reaction score
This is worrying me a little. I hope Jerry isn't back in Pacman/Tank mode where he thinks he can singlehandedly turn these guys around.

Please fill me but didn't Bryant get in trouble because of some business wth an agent? That is a far far stretch from Pacman/Tank type trouble.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If Dez Bryant is sitting there at pick 20 down and none of the o-lineman or Thomas remain, we need to go get him and move Crayton to for a 4th. That's too much fire power and value not to capitalize on.

At that selection and contractual commitment the reward far exceeds the risk. By leaps and bounds.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jcollins28;3325253 said:
Please fill me but didn't Bryant get in trouble because of some business wth an agent? That is a far far stretch from Pacman/Tank type trouble.

:banghead:

The point isn't that Dez is a criminal like those guys. The point is that Jerry thinks he can turn guys' lives around by the sheer force of his personality, and he can't. I probably should have put TO instead. Jerry thought he'd be TO's buddy, pay him a lot of money, constantly stroke his ego, etc... But TO ended up doing the same thing here he's done everywhere else.

I think Emmitt had a saying on this topic.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score

The lesson Jerry Jones lerned last year is that Roy Willimas blows and Dallas is in desperate need of a starting #2 calliber WR. If anything, this proves that Jones has learned and remebers this lesson all too intimately.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
TheCount;3325202 said:
Per Rotoworld.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that 4.32 was true. People were severely underrating his speed.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
The 4.32 may very well be legit, and he may very well be able to post that again, he is very fast. But, the questions that is keeping alot off him, and will probably lead him to drop are:
#1.) How will he play after sitting out most of last year.
#2.) Questions about his character.