ESPN Dallas: Jerry Jones to dine with Dez Bryant... runs 4.52 at pro day

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ran 4.55

11 foot broadjump with mike mayock and corey chavious

weighed 224

hardly any fat

lost his feet on breaks, but plucked the football, mayock says cant put himm in larry fitzgerald class,

corey said really didnt see him drop his hips, with more questions coming out of his workout in my hometown lufkin texas

you didnt finish your short shuttle or your cone, if this guy starts to slide, where are we going to take him, and have to go back and look at tape

corey said could be a randy moss like slide

running routes mayock said he kept losing his balance with turf with his shoes

when he goes get the football thats where dez is elite, he is quicker than fast right now

talked about returning punts for tds against baylor

good workout corey said, but not great and some of workout was poor

mayock said he could go anywhere from 10 o 25

38 inch vertical too

thats it zoners will cover more from lufkin later on nfl network;

a gm says has questions off of the field, what was his 20, why didnt he finish his shuttle and cone drill, so is this a conditioning issue or mental the ex gm for the texans said casserly

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
zrinkill;3325453 said:
I live in Nac Joe.

Drive to Lufkin about 4 days a week.

cool buddy, want to check out my war room when i get it put back together, putting new carpet in, so take a few days to put everything back, carpet going in tomorrow

i really wanted to go to the pro day, but i couldnt get off of work; :lmao2: :lmao2:

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Bryant has so-so workout

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 30, 2010 2:05 PM ET
Maybe you can scratch Dez Bryant off the Raiders' wish list after all.

Bryant ran the forty in 4.52, 4.68, and 4.52, according to NFL.com. Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy in the times. He jumped 38 inches on his vertical leap and jumped over eleven feet on his broad jump, which is a huge number.

He wasn't able to finish the three-cone drill and short shuttle, which perhaps indicates a lack of work preparing for the pro day. His hands reportedly looked good.

Mike Mayock said he was surprised by the slow forty times. He appears to play faster on tape.

The problem for Bryant is that Adam Schefter tweeted that Bryant ran a 4.32 last week, creating high expectations. Larry Fitzgerald ran a similar time a few years ago, but didn't have the same off-field concerns.

Mayock said "more questions than answers" came out of the workout.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/bryant-has-so-so-workout/

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3325477 said:
Bryant has so-so workout

Bryant ran the forty in 4.52, 4.68, and 4.52, according to NFL.com. Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy in the times. He jumped 38 inches on his vertical leap and jumped over eleven feet on his broad jump, which is a huge number.

He wasn't able to finish the three-cone drill and short shuttle, which perhaps indicates a lack of work preparing for the pro day. His hands reportedly looked good.

Mike Mayock said he was surprised by the slow forty times. He appears to play faster on tape.

The problem for Bryant is that Adam Schefter tweeted that Bryant ran a 4.32 last week, creating high expectations. Larry Fitzgerald ran a similar time a few years ago, but didn't have the same off-field concerns.

I completely agree with this. On the field he looks like a burner.

superonyx

Reaction score
I am typically pretty hard on the bad character players. Dont like Ocho Cinco, TO, Desean Jackson types. I am generally pretty tired of the recent trend of arrogant "look at me" WR's that have infested the NFL. What a breath of fresh air Miles Austin is. I like to see players smile when they produce instead of show boat.

As far as Dez..... I actually feel sorry for him when i read about his childhood. I will give him some slack due to that. I really dont know enough about him to say he is of bad character. A kid with a tough childhood who becomes approached by Dion Sanders is probably easily influenced. I would be more concerned if he had the type of troubles guys like pacman had. Or even Randy Moss had before he came to the Nfl. I am not completely sold on us needing a WR that badly right now. I would like to see some depth added on the offensive line. Especially if Jerry plans to cut Flozell.

But if Dez could be had for a 1st round pick and Brandon Marshall could be had for a 1st round pick and you are set on a Wr which way do you go? I tend to favor Marshall due to his multiple 100 catch seasons. The major difference would be money of course.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
CATCH17;3325165 said:
Ogletree and Hurd isn't a contest.

If you listen to Babe Laufenberg last year Roy had a tough time holding off Ogletree last year and believes he will easily pass him this year.

Hurd is a great coverage guy on special teams and Dez can do everything Crayton does.

So clearly Crayton is the odd man out.

if we listened to Babe..Danny Amendola would still be here....:D

romo2to

Reaction score
I hope he falls to us. He was an absolute beast in college, and tape matters more than these workouts anyways.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant reportedly forgot his cleats for Tuesday's workout, causing his numbers to drop while wearing shoes that hadn't been broken in.
NFL Network's Mike Mayock pointed out during the workout that Bryant was slipping during his forty-yard dash. If the reports of a 4.32 forty during training last week are to be believed, Bryant would have run faster Tuesday if not for the slipping. Bryant posted highly impressive numbers in the vertical (38 inches) and broad jump (11'1"), but he didn't finish the short shuttle or the three-cone drill.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Maybe an explanation for the higher times. However, I'm not a fan of a guy who forgets his cleats on one of the biggest days of his life. From the outside looking in he seems to be one of those guys who has a reason for everything.

Reaction score
CIWhitefish;3325596 said:
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant reportedly forgot his cleats for Tuesday's workout, causing his numbers to drop while wearing shoes that hadn't been broken in.
NFL Network's Mike Mayock pointed out during the workout that Bryant was slipping during his forty-yard dash. If the reports of a 4.32 forty during training last week are to be believed, Bryant would have run faster Tuesday if not for the slipping. Bryant posted highly impressive numbers in the vertical (38 inches) and broad jump (11'1"), but he didn't finish the short shuttle or the three-cone drill.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Maybe an explanation for the higher times. However, I'm not a fan of a guy who forgets his cleats on one of the biggest days of his life. From the outside looking in he seems to be one of those guys who has a reason for everything.

Sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding how you forget the correct cleats.... This guy really has issues.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3325625 said:
Sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding how you forget the correct cleats.... This guy really has issues.

Jerry stole them.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3325089 said:
This is worrying me a little. I hope Jerry isn't back in Pacman/Tank mode where he thinks he can singlehandedly turn these guys around.

He wouldn't forget the lesson of last year's offseason so quickly, would he?

[strike]In all fairness, I have yet to see anyone post anything here with concrete evidence supporting Bryant's character flaws.[/strike] edit: I read above. Nevermind.

I wish he didn't hang out with Deion Sanders, too :banghead:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3325477 said:
Bryant has so-so workout

I wonder what the "official" number is. Eleven feet is crazy. Over eleven feet could be a record.

There's no way he's falling to 27.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3325705 said:
I wonder what the "official" number is. Eleven feet is crazy. Over eleven feet could be a record.

He might not fall past the Raiders. :laugh2:

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
theogt;3325705 said:

I've read eleven feet one inch.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
Here you go.........

WR Dez Bryant works out for scouts, gets mixed reviews
4:24 PM Tue, Mar 30, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
***BANNED-URL*** sports Bio | E-mail | News tips
After skipping the NFL combine and Oklahoma State's pro day, highly touted WR prospect Dez Bryant finally worked out for scouts on Monday.

There's no consensus on what his exact 40 times were (from "two runs at 4.52 seconds and a third at 4.68" to "a consistent 4.5" to "an average of 4.55"), but most reports would place him outside the top 10 times run by wide receivers at the NFL combine.

According to NFL.com, Bryant measured in at 6-foot-1 1/2 and 224 pounds, had a 38-inch vertical, an 11-foot-1 broad jump, 4.48-second short shuttle and 7.21-second three-cone drill.

Some reports on how his workout went:

NFL.com's Mike Maycock: "I like the guy but I can't put him in Larry Fitzgerald's class ... Very similar numbers, but he was completely clean off the field. This kid didn't finish his short shuttle, didn't finish his three-cone. There are some red flags there."

KTRE Sports Director Nick James: "Dez looked explosive. He ran well, he caught the ball well and he looked like he was in shape."

Bryant's numbers would have probably been a bit better had he not forgot his cleats, as ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports. An excerpt:

We're told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

As a result, Bryant was slipping, as NFLN's Mike Mayock pointed out when discussing the workout on the air.

Bryant is expected to be drafted in the first round of next month's NFL draft. Maycock said he could see him going as early as the top 10, but dropping as far as late in the first round. The Cowboys have the No. 27 overall pick.

In a blog post Monday, SportsDay's Jean-Jacques Taylor said "Absolutely. No question." when asked if the Cowboys should select Bryant if he falls to No. 27.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/03/wr-dez-bryant-works-out-for-scouts-gets.html?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
How did he "not finish" a drill? As in he stopped part way through, or in that he didn't spring through the goal line or something after?