ESPN Dallas: Jerry Jones to dine with Dez Bryant... runs 4.52 at pro day

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SMCowboy;3325314 said:
The 4.32 may very well be legit, and he may very well be able to post that again, he is very fast. But, the questions that is keeping alot off him, and will probably lead him to drop are:
#1.) How will he play after sitting out most of last year.
#2.) Questions about his character.

If he runs a 4.3, it won't be a question we need to answer.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
It's possible that Jerry Jones really wanted to go to dinner with WR Roy Williams, only when Jones dialed 9-11, Roy once again dod not answer. :laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dez is a very good WR and return man. If he is our pick I no problem with it.

I have said it before but I think there are more than 1 or 2 options or players out there who would be a good pick up at 27 and Dez is one of them.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Even with all the bad press he is getting. I just don't see Dez sliding all the way to 27th. Especially with teams like the Raiders, Bengals, and now Mike Holmgrenless Seattle whom needs a true #1 to compliment Hoosh drafting a head of us.

If anything, Jerry is courting for a possible trade up. I just can't see him trading up 7 slots to draft before say the Bengals for him. That would be expensive. Especially when a safety or OL might be available. Though if he is there around the 20th slot, he will easily be the best player available.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Adam_Schefter
Initial reports on Dez Bryant's 40-yard dash are not encouraging. One scout in attendance texted that Bryant clocked an unconfirmed 4.57.

Eek! :eek:

Woods

Reaction score
TheSport78;3325351 said:
Adam_Schefter
Initial reports on Dez Bryant's 40-yard dash are not encouraging. One scout in attendance texted that Bryant clocked an unconfirmed 4.57.

Eek! :eek:

I expected him to be around 4.50 area anyway. Not sure that's surprising.

EDIT: I don't think most people thought of him as a 4.3 or 4.4 guy.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
North of 4.55 isn't good but like Woods said, most expected him to run in the 4.5 range. I'm more worried about his routes.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
A little slower than expected, but not a huge surprise. He's not a straight line burner (but he runs faster in pads). His best traits are his size, ballskills, initial burst and lateral quickness.

Bad athletes don't win the All Big XII Special Teamer of the Year Award as punt returners, and run back 3 punts for TDs in only 22 punt return attempts.

Woods

Reaction score
Big Dakota;3325365 said:
North of 4.55 isn't good but like Woods said, most expected him to run in the 4.5 range. I'm more worried about his routes.

To tell the truth, I'd be more surprised if he ran sub 4.5 sec. :laugh2:

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Big names come out for Bryant's pro day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 30, 2010 12:53 PM ET
We're still waiting to hear about Dez Bryant did at his pro day, but here's a spoiler alert: He's going to do great. (We base this on every other pro day review.)

Make no mistake: Lufkin, Texas is the center of the NFL universe Tuesday. The Sacramento Bee reports Mike Singletary and Trent Baalke have continued their excellent adventure together by looking at another Eugene Parker client with ties to Deion Sanders. (Hmmm.)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports 20 teams are in attendance, including Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll. (Take that, Brandon Marshall!)

Packers coach Mike McMarthy is also in attendance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/big-names-come-out-for-bryants-big-day/

RS12

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3325154 said:
Dez may not be that bad -- I don't claim to know for sure. None of us do.

But my point is, I don't think Jerry will learn whether he is or not over a dinner conversation. Jerry should have all kinds of good contacts at OSU who could tell him the true scoop on the guy's behavior over a period of years, and that would be far more valuable than talking to him for an hour or so.

Jerry seems to think he has some special ability to take in these troubled guys and turn them around, but experience shows that he doesn't.

nfl_i_pacman_jjones_300.jpg

Jerry and Boone Pickens are close. That means Jerry can pick up the phone and find out anything that ever went on at OSU anytime he wants. If Dez ran 4.32 top 10. If he ran a 4.57 second round.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78;3325351 said:
Adam_Schefter
That speed just cost him some big bucks.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3325271 said:
I think Emmitt had a saying on this topic.
What was it? Something like, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat,"?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
RS12;3325382 said:
Jerry and Boone Pickens are close. That means Jerry can pick up the phone and find out anything that ever went on at OSU anytime he wants. If Dez ran 4.32 top 10. If he ran a 4.57 second round.

I don't think he makes it out of the first either way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jerry must have told him over dinner to ease up on the 40 so you will last to 27. :laugh2:

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Bryant posts expected 40 times during private workout
Posted: March 30th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: 2010 Pro Days, Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is still going through position drills at his private workout for NFL teams, but I do have his 40-yard dash times to pass along.

Bryant began the workouts Tuesday in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas, with the 40, posting times of 4.52, 4.68 and 4.52. He was asked to run the third time due to the discrepancy between the first two times.

Early during his position drills, Bryant did drop some passes, but he looked much better after getting into the flow of the drills with former Oklahoma State QB Bobby Reid.

The notable NFL coaches and executives in attendance today include Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, coach Mike Singletary and director of player personnel Trent Baalke of the 49ers, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and director of college scouting John Dorsey, Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, Bucs wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and Raiders scout Cliff Branch.

– Gil Brandt

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/30/bry...ut/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JeffInDC

Reaction score
TheCount;3325420 said:
4.52 is definitely good enough.

I wonder what he weighed, because a 4.52 @ the 225 he weighed at the combine is more than acceptable. When you watch his game tape, he is very fluid for a guy that size.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Forty times kill me.

4.52 and everyone is like "Yeah, that's what we expected."

4.57 and everyone is like "He's gonna slide!!!"

:laugh2: