ESPN: Don't Be Surprised If Tony Romo Holds The Cowboys Together

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you think losing Dez is going to be a positive? According to you the Cowboys should have saved their money and let him walk. LOL

Nope not a positive, but not going to run around like a chicken with the head cut-off either.

I wouldn't have been crushed the Cowboys did let him walk and snagged a 1st round pick for him.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
QB's need receivers and the Cowboys need Dez which is why he got paid. He made some huge catches including one against Houston last season that helped win that game and accounted for 16 TD's. Some here are blowing his loss off while others are spinning it could be a blessing in disguise which is typical here but the Cowboys offense has become easier to defend without him. Without Dez you lose the jump balls and the fades in the endzone that were hard to defend. TWill have a tougher time getting open down the field especially being covered by every teams top corner.

Go back to the 09 season the Cowboys had cut TO loose during the offseason and were looking shaky until Miles Austin had his breakout game vs KC ending up having a big season. One of the Cowboys receivers is going to have to step up and make a real impact if the Cowboys are going to have any chance of being the team they were last season.

Kind of in my head man. I was thinking the same thing. The addition by subtraction spin that some put on this isn't accurate, and I point to 09 as proof (very constipated offense before miles emerged).

That said romo is a better QB now. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Romo can hold the ship together, but we will miss Dez.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Agreed, it's pretty surreal. However, I don't doubt that after 1 not-so-great performance, they'll revert back to their old ways.

As long as Romo is healthy, we are still Super Bowl contenders. Dez is among the best at what he does and has a big impact on the field, but at the end of the day he's one of several NFL-caliber options that Tony Romo has at his disposal.

As long as the rest of our pass catchers (and that includes running backs and tight ends) can at least perform at an average NFL level, we will still win games.

The thing is, now, we have a good team. For years we had good players in certain positions. But this team never panics. Never quits. They just take what comes their way and deals with it. That's what winners do. That's why I like our chances each and every week as long as Romo plays. And this coaching staff, knows how to play to players strengths. They aren't just gonna ask Beasley to go be Dez. They'll expect Beas to do more of what he does.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Dallas is just gonna falter without Dez Bryant just doesn't know football. Elite quarterbacks make receivers who would otherwise look ordinary look a lot better. We've seen Romo do it time and time again. He made Miles Austin into a pro bowl receiver. Laurent Robinson had a breakout season and quickly fizzled out of the league after leaving the Cowboys. Same thing happened to Patrick Crayton who had previously been a very solid #2 and 3. When you have such a magician at QB you always have a chance. Compound that with the fact that you still have an elite tight end with a superb offensive line and we'll be fine.

It's not just losing Dez now you feel the loss of Murray even more. This team has lost it's top receiver and RB from last season who accounted for 3165 yards and 29 TD's. Murray was allowed to walk so the Cowboys could sign Dez now we don't have either one. I agree that QB's make receivers but Dez isn't your ordinary receiver he made Kitna look real good in 2010 because of his ability to catch jump balls. Dez had his first 100 yard game with Kitna. Dez is like TO he can make any QB productive due to making plays on jump balls and fade routes. Dez is a magician at WR he makes plays on contested balls and anyone trying to downplay his loss is just looking for positives when there isn't any.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Nope not a positive, but not going to run around like a chicken with the head cut-off either.

I wouldn't have been crushed the Cowboys did let him walk and snagged a 1st round pick for him.

That would've been stupid. We already have a proven, superstar WR who is gonna make the offense damn near unstoppable when he gets back on the field. It'd be foolish to trade an establish star like Dez for an unproven first rounder who could very well be a bust.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would've been stupid. We already have a proven, superstar WR who is gonna make the offense damn near unstoppable when he gets back on the field. It'd be foolish to trade an establish star like Dez for an unproven first rounder who could very well be a bust.

At this point everything is conjecture and there is a whole lotta money invested in Dez.

And for those keeping score at home, top-flight wide-outs haven't been winning Super Bowls lately.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The fact you wouldn't have been crushed had the Cowboys let Dez walk shows you don't value WR's. You could end up with nothing for that #1 certainly not a player the caliber of Dez Bryant but that's the kind of logic you get here. There were FANS on this board hoping both Dez and Murray were let go due to money claiming the Cowboys wouldn't miss a beat without them. When Romo went down in 2010 I kid you not there were may on the board spinning positives with that.

RunDMC

Reaction score
At this point everything is conjecture and there is a whole lotta money invested in Dez.

And for those keeping score at home, top-flight wide-outs haven't been winning Super Bowls lately.

Doesn't mean you just let a guy walk if you have him. Part of the problem with teams with those superstar wideouts is they try to force the ball to them rather than spreading the football around and making the defense defend more than one guy. The Cowboys aren't one of those teams. They have plenty of other weapons and Romo doesn't force the football to Dez. That's the beauty of having him. In this stretch without him you'll see a lot more diversity and when Dez returns teams will not be able to shift coverage towards the likes of Escobar, Witten, Beasley, Dunbar, and Williams. They'll have to go back to doubling Dez and with these guys being utilized more it'll make us much more dangerous once he gets back.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact you wouldn't have been crushed had the Cowboys let Dez walk shows you don't value WR's. You could end up with nothing for that #1 certainly not a player the caliber of Dez Bryant but that's the kind of logic you get here. There were FANS on this board hoping both Dez and Murray were let go due to money claiming the Cowboys wouldn't miss a beat without them. When Romo went down in 2010 I kid you not there were may on the board spinning positives with that.

To me the offensive line, Witten & Romo are far more important to the offense.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If New England can get by with the likes of Edelman and Amendola at receiver so can Dallas. Cole Beasley and Terrance Williams as good as those guys. Not to mention we have a better OL and at this point Romo is a better quarterback than Brady.

I always hate that comparison. I love Witten but he isn't the receiving threat that Gronk is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To me the offensive line, Witten & Romo are far more important to the offense.

No one is more important than Romo that can't be argued but we're going to find out starting tomorrow what the loss of Dez means to the team. When you add up all the solid players the team has lost since last season "on paper" the Cowboys look average. Dez put fear in defenses and the Cowboys now have no one who scares anyone. You can bet they've been doing some scrambling trying to figure out how they're going to overcome Dez's loss.

RunDMC

Reaction score
I always hate that comparison. I love Witten but he isn't the receiving threat that Gronk is.

Why do you hate it? I never said Witten is the receiving threat Gronk is. No tight end is, but Jason remains one of the best. With Escobar's skill set we can have a similar dynamic between those two that the Pats had in 2010 and 2011 with Gronk and Hernandez.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Why do you hate it? I never said Witten is the receiving threat Gronk is. No tight end is, but Jason remains one of the best. With Escobar's skill set we can have a similar dynamic between those two that the Pats had in 2010 and 2011 with Gronk and Hernandez.

Because people say....if Brady can do it with Edleman and the like why can't Romo ignoring that Gronk now has the most TD receptions since 2010 (Dez is down to 2nd)?

I suspect our passing game will be fine, but it's not a genuine comnparison.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Because people say....if Brady can do it with Edleman and the like why can't Romo ignoring that Gronk now has the most TD receptions since 2010 (Dez is down to 2nd)?

I suspect our passing game will be fine, but it's not a genuine comnparison.

Sure it is. Witten isn't as good as Gronk, but the Pats also don't have a second tight end as talented as Escobar. They also don't have the best offensive line in pro football. They don't have a field stretcher like Terrance either. I don't see what's so outlandish about this comparison. Yeah we don't have a Gronk, but we do have a great all around and future Hall of Fame tight end and another guy who's about to get more opportunities to make plays who is more than capable of being a big play guy down the middle. Romo is gonna have the time to still get big plays down the field and because of the run game as well as all three being solid pass catchers along with those two tight ends and a big time slot receiver in Beasley we'll still be able to consistently move the chains.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kind of in my head man. I was thinking the same thing. The addition by subtraction spin that some put on this isn't accurate, and I point to 09 as proof (very constipated offense before miles emerged).

That said romo is a better QB now. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Romo can hold the ship together, but we will miss Dez.

Every time the Cowboys lose a significant player FANS try and spin a positive or claim it could be a blessing in disguise. There's no positives losing one of the top receivers in the league who's accounted for more TD's the past 3 seasons than any receiver. There's no positives losing a receiver who Romo could just throw the ball up to and have them make a play on it either down the field or in the endzone. Without Dez those plays are gone. Romo is a much better decision maker now but he's getting older and he can't be running around trying to Houdini spin his way out of trouble all season to extend plays due to receivers not getting open.

Harder to free receivers up with no Dez Bryant on the field taking up multiple defenders. The attention and fear he brought is going to be hard to overcome. Escobar is the only receiver the Cowboys have that might be able make up for some of what we'll be losing with Dez in the redzone. He's got the size/height to go up and get the ball we saw that on the play he made last Sunday Night. Time to get him involved.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Wow...now it's talk about Romo not having top receiver to throw to?

I thought the torque on his back was so strong that he should not throw? It's hard to understand when someone talks out of both sides of their mouth.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
It actually seems like Romo has been gaining more and more traction in the media as an Elite QB. It's become pretty hard to keep that fallacy going. Now the only ones saying it are the biggest mediots like Screamin A and Howard Eskin who have very little credibility to maintain anyways.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
the only thing i worry every game, for seasons now, is tony getting injured.

thats it. i never worry about the rb or wr or d line or anything but tony getting injured.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anyone say Dez's loss is addition by subtraction Or a blessing in disguise. I think we're all upset about it and just hoping the Cowboys can stay in the race until he returns.