ESPN: Don't Be Surprised If Tony Romo Holds The Cowboys Together

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
QB's need receivers and the Cowboys need Dez which is why he got paid. He made some huge catches including one against Houston last season that helped win that game and accounted for 16 TD's. Some here are blowing his loss off while others are spinning it could be a blessing in disguise which is typical here but the Cowboys offense has become easier to defend without him. Without Dez you lose the jump balls and the fades in the endzone that were hard to defend. TWill have a tougher time getting open down the field especially being covered by every teams top corner.

Go back to the 09 season the Cowboys had cut TO loose during the offseason and were looking shaky until Miles Austin had his breakout game vs KC ending up having a big season. One of the Cowboys receivers is going to have to step up and make a real impact if the Cowboys are going to have any chance of being the team they were last season.
If tony has all day to throw then we're in good shape. Dez or no Dez. Does philly have a Dez Bryant type receiver? I don't hear that as a concern for philly but for some reason it's a reason to count dallas out. It's about keeping your QB upright and having a good gameplan. That will give you a chance against anybody. Good qb play and a good scheme make receivers look better than they are. James Jones gets cut by the Raiders and less than a week later he catches 2 td's from Aaron Rodgers.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If tony has all day to throw then we're in good shape. Dez or no Dez. Does philly have a Dez Bryant type receiver? I don't hear that as a concern for philly but for some reason it's a reason to count dallas out. It's about keeping your QB upright and having a good gameplan. That will give you a chance against anybody. Good qb play and a good scheme make receivers look better than they are. James Jones gets cut by the Raiders and less than a week later he catches 2 td's from Aaron Rodgers.

Romo won't have all day to throw every week like last Sunday the Giants DL isn't the same without JPP. If the Cowboys have to rely on Romo having all day to throw they're going to be in trouble. Some of you can downplay Dez's loss all you want but he's a huge loss for the Cowboys. If you want to be a championship team you need great players. The 90's Cowboys wouldn't have been the same great team without Irvin and Emmitt. The Cowboys lost their Irvin and Emmitt and they're going to have to try and compensate for these losses. A lot of short passes to the backs to make up for the lack of a running game and having to hope TWill or someone can step up and give the team a dependable down the field threat. Opponents don't need a Dez Bryant type receiver to exploit the Cowboys secondary especially minus Scandrick.

We had very little pass rush last week with Gregory in there. With him gone for a few weeks and Hardy still 3 games away from being added not having much of a pass rush and the loss of the teams top corner is bound to have some negative effects. As for James Jones he's caught a lot of TD passes from Rodgers but he obviously didn't fit in with the Raiders they're so screwed up no one seems to fit in with them. His familiarity with Rodgers and the Packers offense enabled him to step in last week and make an impact.

Junglist

Reaction score
This is where TWill getting more snaps in TC is going to pay off. I think he'll change some of your opinions on whether he's a solid #2. Also, the Cowboys almost never have two bad games in a row. We were bad last week, but still pulled off the win. That's what great teams do.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The guy stretches out.... Seems like good hands ... East touch on the catch....
And... He catches the ball away from his body... Up and over defenders.

I was exaggerating a little with the post, I admit. But yeah, I like what I've seen of him. But what really impresses me with him is that he lives and breathes football; read in the offseason, he trains with Calvin Johnson and AJ Green.

This guy certainly has the talent to be productive in the league. I think he can help out until Bryant gets back.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Am I the only one who expects Romo and his cast of pass catchers to hold it down til Dez gets back? Good thing was he didn't have Dez for the offseason and only for a minute in camp. I consider Tony to be elite. Other elite QBs have done it without true #1 threats. It's Tony's time.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Am I the only one who expects Romo and his cast of pass catchers to hold it down til Dez gets back? Good thing was he didn't have Dez for the offseason and only for a minute in camp. I consider Tony to be elite. Other elite QBs have done it without true #1 threats. It's Tony's time.

Well KJJ obviously doesn't and he won't mind typing hundreds of words over the course of pages to convince you. Just wait a minute so he can talk to you about "spin".

black label

Reaction score
At this point everything is conjecture and there is a whole lotta money invested in Dez.

And for those keeping score at home, top-flight wide-outs haven't been winning Super Bowls lately.

Exactly, Dez the athlete is great

Dez the mind is as dumb as a box of rocks

You dont give that much money to stupid

Zman5

Reaction score
He's bound to have a rough game or two if he's going to have to start carrying the team again. It was pretty much all him Sunday Night and it will catch up with the Cowboys if he's going to have to shoulder the load most of the season. He needs a lot more help than he got Sunday night if the Cowboys are going to make the playoffs.

That's going to depend on the defense and the current cast around him. Had the receivers played better past Sunday, he wouldn't of needed the last second drive.

If the defense hold teams and not give up easy scores at the end of games, I don't think Romo needs to carry the team like he had to do in previous seasons.

How many time have we seen Romo drive down and score to give us a lead at the end the games only to have our defense give up a easy score and lose?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Romo's never done it without a true #1 threat he had TO when he first took over in 06. When TO was released prior to the 09 season other than the opening day win over TB it was looking pretty shaky for Romo the next 3 weeks until Miles Austin had his breakout performance vs KC and became Romo's #1 threat that season. Things started going wrong for Aikman after he lost Irvin in 99. This prompted Jerry to go after Joey Galloway prior to the 2000 season.

It's going to be hard for Romo to hold it down if he doesn't get more help from his receivers and backs in the running game. One of his WR's is going to have to step up to help counter the loss of Dez. If Romo is having to shoulder the load this season like we saw on Sunday Night I don't see things going very well. The Cowboys escaped with a win opening day against a Giants team they should have roasted.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Well KJJ obviously doesn't and he won't mind typing hundreds of words over the course of pages to convince you. Just wait a minute so he can talk to you about "spin".

Yeah, Romo is so in his pea brain, that is all he comes here to talk about. You seldom see posts of his about the rest of the team. But, you mention Romo and his negativity comes around here like a tornado.

Then, he attacks anything positive about the Cowboys and calls us FANS...as if that is a bad thing. smh.

I sometimes wonder? Is he and ufcrules related? Or, are they the same guy?!

He likes to talk about spin, you are right. But, one of his favorite words are "agenda" (as if we don't know his). But, be careful...he might cry to the mods that you are harassing him. lol

But, the beat goes on...and it's allowed, so....?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's going to depend on the defense and the current cast around him. Had the receivers played better past Sunday, he wouldn't of needed the last second drive.

If the defense hold teams and not give up easy scores at the end of games, I don't think Romo needs to carry the team like he had to do in previous seasons.

How many time have we seen Romo drive down and score to give us a lead at the end the games only to have our defense give up a easy score and lose?

The defense didn't impress Sunday Night looked pretty much like we saw last season. We had little pass rush only getting to Eli once and when the game was on the line in the closing minutes the defense got gashed via the running game. The Giants had little trouble driving from their own 20 to the Cowboys one yard line. It's the same damn thing we've been seeing with the defense. The Giants could have scored but their back was told not to score. Other than the OL and Witten the cast around Romo looks average.

Defensively even when Gregory was in the Cowboys had little pass rush. Now with Gregory out for a few games and Hardy still 3 games away from being added the defense looks blah!. The way the team surprised last season maybe they'll surprise again but I will be surprised if this team wins 10 or more games. Nothing about the offense is scary and the defense minus several players looks vulnerable.

Zman5

Reaction score
Romo's never done it without a true #1 threat he had TO when he first took over in 06. When TO was released prior to the 09 season other than the opening day win over TB it was looking pretty shaky for Romo the next 3 weeks until Miles Austin had his breakout performance vs KC and became Romo's #1 threat that season. Things started going wrong for Aikman after he lost Irvin in 99. This prompted Jerry to go after Joey Galloway prior to the 2000 season.

It's going to be hard for Romo to hold it down if he doesn't get more help from his receivers and backs in the running game. One of his WR's is going to have to step up to help counter the loss of Dez. If Romo is having to shoulder the load this season like we saw on Sunday Night I don't see things going very well. The Cowboys escaped with a win opening day against a Giants team they should have roasted.

He did it in 2011. That was the first season Dez started and he was not the same receiver hei s now. He wasn't a "true" #1 receiver that he is now.

Yet Romo made a JAG like Laurent Robinson a big time receiver that season. Robinson wasn't even on the team until the 3rd week of the season and only started 4 games. Yet he ended up leading the team with most TDs (11) and had 54 catches for 859 yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

No need t call me out and you're right I don't expect him to hold down everything the entire season.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Dude! Talk to someone that knows football for crying out loud! lol

Not some joker that gets his knowledge from the media.

Zman5

Reaction score
The defense didn't impress Sunday Night looked pretty much like we saw last season. We had little pass rush only getting to Eli once and when the game was on the line in the closing minutes the defense got gashed via the running game. The Giants had little trouble driving from their own 20 to the Cowboys one yard line. It's the same damn thing we've been seeing with the defense. The Giants could have scored but their back was told not to score. Other than the OL and Witten the cast around Romo looks average.

Defensively even when Gregory was in the Cowboys had little pass rush. Now with Gregory out for a few games and Hardy still 3 games away from being added the defense looks blah!. The way the team surprised last season maybe they'll surprise again but I will be surprised if this team wins 10 or more games. Nothing about the offense is scary and the defense minus several players looks vulnerable.

Defense gave up 9 points. We are a bend don't break defense. They'll give up yards but get stingy when it comes to points.

I agree without Gregory and Hardy, our pass rush is going to suffer and it remains to be seen how they do until they return. Luckily, Hardy and Ro comes back after 3 more weeks and from what I've read, Gregory could be back within 2 weeks.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Exactly, Dez the athlete is great

Dez the mind is as dumb as a box of rocks

You dont give that much money to stupid

Based off what? Dez made some mistakes early in his career. He's not perfect. Just like nobody is. He deserved every penny he got. The man is argurably the best wideout in the game. Has about as big an impact on a football game as any player in the league really. Has the ability to single handily take over a game. All the attention he draws. Route running has become more crisp each year. His blocking his superb. Dez is an all around player.