News: ESPN: Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

i

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones publicly backed coach Jason Garrett this week, but pressure surely will be on after the team fell well short of expectations.

Read Full Story

cowboyec

Reaction score
he should be.
the failure to make adjustments in the atlanta game and weak goal-line sequence vs seattle for no other reason.
Ive said before...I have no reason to think the players dont respect him...Im sure they do...but they DO NOT FEAR HIM.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

i

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones publicly backed coach Jason Garrett this week, but pressure surely will be on after the team fell well short of expectations.

Read Full Story

bla bla bla.............These are articles are nothing but a waste of time. EVERYONE outside of Jerrys inner circle knows that Garett is horrid and should be fired.

But the stone cold truth is that Garrett isnt going anywhere. It doesnt matter what happens. That much is certain.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Typically, I think most fans interpreted it correctly when they read it as just classic Jerry bluster, backing up his current head coach for the time being.

This time however he provided at least some reasoning (asst. staff signed to multi-year deals...) which makes me nervous and supports my pet theory that be desperately wants Garrett to be his Tom Landry.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the biggest fundamental problems with this organization is its complete lack of accountability for people at the top. Failure to make the playoffs 5 of 7 seasons apparently is no problem for Jerry.

The lack of accountability for failure is a cancer that seeps into the culture of this team. If leaders at the top are not held accountable for failure, but smaller fish are, like Assistant Coaches and non-star players, you’re entire organization is messed up.

Sadly for us fans, it also reveals that Jerry’s desire to win a championship is a smaller priority to Jerry compared to his desire to see his organization run with his comfort and profits as the guiding principles.

Garrett on the hot seat? No one at the top of this org is ever in the hot seat as long as Jerry is “comfortable”.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They like Garrett and think he’s doing a good job. This is obvious. Not saying they are right, not saying he deserves to be kept, but this notion that they think he’s not a good coach and they just don’t want to hold Garrett accountable for whatever contrived notion needs to die.

I hear different things from Stephen and Jerry here. Stephen sounds like they’re keeping Jason indefinitely to me. He’s staunch about defending him and clear that they think he does a great job and is a very good coach and representative of the organization.

Jerry sounds more like a guy who’s putting it out there that Jason needs to deliver a good season or else.

My bet is we have a good season. But even if we don’t, I don’t think it’s playoffs or bust. I think he’d likely be let go if no playoffs, but that there are probably circumstances where he could survive even that.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Typical BSPN. Wrong as usual. Red Ball is nowhere near being on the hot seat. Jerry will keep doubling down until the team quits on him like they did Wade.
I’m not so sure about Jason having much more leverage if we fumble around next season. Like a zit, it’s coming to a head.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They like Garrett and think he’s doing a good job. This is obvious. Not saying they are right, not saying he deserves to be kept, but this notion that they think he’s not a good coach and they just don’t want to hold Garrett accountable for whatever contrived notion needs to die.

I hear different things from Stephen and Jerry here. Stephen sounds like they’re keeping Jason indefinitely to me. He’s staunch about defending him and clear that they think he does a great job and is a very good coach and representative of the organization.

Jerry sounds more like a guy who’s putting it out there that Jason needs to deliver a good season or else.

My bet is we have a good season. But even if we don’t, I don’t think it’s playoffs or bust. I think he’d likely be let go if no playoffs, but that there are probably circumstances where he could survive even that.
In other words, winning a championship is not the primary goal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep. Agree with overall thought.

Circumstances like Dak becomes a Dud or a key injury like to Elliott. Our future revolves around our former Rookie sensations. Any let down or absence from either will greatly effect results.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
jerry and Stephen are happy where they are making boatloads of money and not walking on egg shells and fans keep spending and believing that there are superbowls in the future for the cowboys, the past record speaks to how effective the gm and his son and front office and coaching staff are I would say don't get your expectations up real high

Reaction score
The problem is that we've already crossed the point where there is no logical reason to keep this obnoxious android. If a head coach is going to take you to the super bowl he'll do it within five years of getting his job. Garrett's nearly eight year tenure hasn't even seen a deep playoff run. The only reason he's stuck around this long is he knows exactly what buttons to press on Jerry to pull his fat out of the fire. I want clappy shipped off to the happy home as much as the next person but I'm at the point where I'll believe it when it happens.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
jerry and Stephen are happy where they are making boatloads of money and not walking on egg shells and fans keep spending and believing that there are superbowls in the future for the cowboys, the past record speaks to how effective the gm and his son and front office and coaching staff are I would say don't get your expectations up real high
The record revenue provides the Football Idiot and son a seal of approval to continue playing ball their way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don’t buy this take, either. I know a lot of people do.

The Joneses actually think their HC is in place. Fans just don’t like it or agree with it.

I don’t even get why fans think any coach would have the Joneses on eggshells if all they wanted was to make money. They could hire dozens of guys to do that job and swap them out whenever they felt like it.