News: ESPN: Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t buy this take, either. I know a lot of people do.

The Joneses actually think their HC is in place. Fans just don’t like it or agree with it.

I don’t even get why fans think any coach would have the Joneses on eggshells if all they wanted was to make money. They could hire dozens of guys to do that job and swap them out whenever they felt like it.
Yep.. not sure all fans understand Jerry’s agenda and his comfort with who they think is the best puppet to lead their team.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The problem is that we've already crossed the point where there is no logical reason to keep this obnoxious android. If a head coach is going to take you to the super bowl he'll do it within five years of getting his job. Garrett's nearly eight year tenure hasn't even seen a deep playoff run. The only reason he's stuck around this long is he knows exactly what buttons to press on Jerry to pull his fat out of the fire. I want clappy shipped off to the happy home as much as the next person but I'm at the point where I'll believe it when it happens.
Really 5 years? What about Landry? It took him 12 years to win a SB.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not remotely what I said.

They don’t think the reason we’re not winning more right now is coaching. Some fans do. The fans aren’t necessarily right. Lots of different things can keep teams from advancing in the playoffs.
Not trying to change what you said. I was just stating what I believe about what’s wrong with the organization’s proclivity for excuses.

IMO- As long as your organization accepts excuses, like finding “valid reasons” why your team didn’t make the playoffs, your team won’t have the resiliency necessary to be a champion. Excuses are always available. Great teams just choose not to use them.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He would have to have utter failure and the players would have to pull a Wade style thing to get him fired. JJ don’t want to give up power for anything.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lip service. Can't believe a word JJ says until I see it. Same for when SJ becomes owner.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a good comparison IMO. Landry took an expansion team with an original roster of NFL rejects in 1960, and by 1966 was playing in NFC championship games (called NFL championship until the 1970 merger) Yes, Landry didn’t win a championship for 12 seasons, but he had his team playing championship games within 6 years.

And once Landry had a winning season, he had 20 in a row. Not the up and down roller coaster we’ve seen around here. Sure, it was a different era, but by even today’s metrics, having a HC only lead your team to the playoffs 2 times in 7 years, and 3 winning season...not exactly a great resume.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
jerry and Stephen are happy where they are making boatloads of money and not walking on egg shells and fans keep spending and believing that there are superbowls in the future for the cowboys, the past record speaks to how effective the gm and his son and front office and coaching staff are I would say don't get your expectations up real high

Extremely wealthy people aren't as enticed by "more money" as easily as people who don't have it. The Cowboys could break even for years and the Joneses would remain filthy rich.

Jerry and Stephen like playing fantasy football. They want to win, but not more than they want to be in control. Garrett fits their model because he's been around Dallas long enough to know that's the deal. Some coaches wouldn't accept it. Those coaches will never work for the Joneses, and they're okay with that.

GenoT

Reaction score
As long as Jerry can cite the team losing a key player or two or three — be it to injury or suspension — as an excuse for failure, Garrett’s job is relatively safe.

The catch-22 is, we have both players with suspensions on their records (Zeke, D-Law, Irving and, if reinstated, Gregory) AND injury-prone players who have little depth behind them (Lee, T Smith) on this roster...so we’re never far from excusable failure.

Another thing...

Jerry Jones will turn 76yo this season and has a LOT of time and “football guy” credibility invested in Jason Garrett leading this team to a championship. If JJ were to fire Garrett after 2018, he would have to accept and admit that his formerly anointed “head coach in waiting” couldn’t get it done. At which point, he’d be halfway through his 77th year and starting over with an entirely new coaching staff and system.

Unless this team completely implodes, with NO reasonable excuses, Jason Garrett won’t be fired by Jerry Jones.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Did Garrett start with an expansion team? No he did not, so the remark about Landry is pointless and baseless.

Back to the topic: I don't feel Garrett is on the hot seat, not now, not next season, not ever. As long as Jerry still draws breath Garrett will remain in place. I absolutely hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any way he will be fired. In my opinion he could go 1-15 every season until Jerry dies and remain employed. Jerry will simply make a new excuse each year; an injury, a suspension, etc.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Extremely wealthy people aren't as enticed by "more money" as easily as people who don't have it. The Cowboys could break even for years and the Joneses would remain filthy rich.

Jerry and Stephen like playing fantasy football. They want to win, but not more than they want to be in control. Garrett fits their model because he's been around Dallas long enough to know that's the deal. Some coaches wouldn't accept it. Those coaches will never work for the Joneses, and they're okay with that.
Great observation. Garrett serves the purpose the Jones boys have for a head coach that makes him “useful”. They know 90% of the top NFL HCs would never accept the fantasy football model the Jones guys want.

Reaction score
I think Landry is an outlier, as he also was also tasked with building a team from nothing. If you look at Belichik, Tomlin, Carroll, Shula, Parcells, all of them won in a ring within 5 years. I'm not saying it's impossible for a coach to win his first super bowl after the first 5 years, just unlikely.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

i

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones publicly backed coach Jason Garrett this week, but pressure surely will be on after the team fell well short of expectations.

Read Full Story
I don't think this is a revelation but rather SOP for any FO including the Cowboys FO (however dysfunctional it may be). Why say publicly that your coach must reach a standard performance goal or be terminated? I am pretty sure Red Jesus better do something to make positive waves for organization or else. Even Booger is not immune to public pressure.

I'm just like everyone else and would have probably canned JG a long time ago ... probably after 2015.

GenoT

Reaction score
Landry, starting with a rank expansion team, was playing for the pre-merger NFL championship by his 7th season (back-to-back NFL Champ game appearances in ‘66 and ‘67). The Cowboys were perennial contenders thereafter, playing in 5 SBs and winning two, until @ the mid ‘80s.

Jason Garrett, in 7 full seasons, has yet to get past the conference semifinals.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
JG will always be on the hot seat with the majority of fans and that's not a "likely", that's fact. Predicting JG's likelihood of being on the hot seat in 2018 is like predicting the weather in 2018, It's likely to be sunny some, rainy some, cold some, hot some. It's a good thread to stimulate "empassioned pleas" much like the weather

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Did Garrett start with an expansion team? No he did not, so the remark about Landry is pointless and baseless.

Back to the topic: I don't feel Garrett is on the hot seat, not now, not next season, not ever. As long as Jerry still draws breath Garrett will remain in place. I absolutely hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any way he will be fired. In my opinion he could go 1-15 every season until Jerry dies and remain employed. Jerry will simply make a new excuse each year; an injury, a suspension, etc.
Relax, just offering a different perspective.

If current fans were around those days we would be cutting people down from the rafters.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think Landry is an outlier, as he also was also tasked with building a team from nothing. If you look at Belichik, Tomlin, Carroll, Shula, Parcells, all of them won in a ring within 5 years. I'm not saying it's impossible for a coach to win his first super bowl after the first 5 years, just unlikely.
But more coaches did not win a SB within 5 season. I'm not defending JG, I would have ended the roller-coaster after 2015, just making a point when I see what some fans consider eternity.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
JJ said it like this "I want Jason Garrett to win COY in 24 months". He said that just recently so project outwards 24 months from now. I know, bad post and thought right