News: ESPN: Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the biggest fundamental problems with this organization is its complete lack of accountability for people at the top. Failure to make the playoffs 5 of 7 seasons apparently is no problem for Jerry.

The lack of accountability for failure is a cancer that seeps into the culture of this team. If leaders at the top are not held accountable for failure, but smaller fish are, like Assistant Coaches and non-star players, you’re entire organization is messed up.

Sadly for us fans, it also reveals that Jerry’s desire to win a championship is a smaller priority to Jerry compared to his desire to see his organization run with his comfort and profits as the guiding principles.

Garrett on the hot seat? No one at the top of this org is ever in the hot seat as long as Jerry is “comfortable”.
Sad but true, there's not another NFL team run as this one is. And there's not another one that matches the revenue or ratings and as long as that continues, no changes at the top.

The sooner fans accpet that, the easier this becomes to control their expectations. Why would a team with an incompetent GM hire a competent HC?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Landry, starting with a rank expansion team, was playing for the pre-merger NFL championship by his 7th season (back-to-back NFL Champ game appearances in ‘66 and ‘67). The Cowboys were perennial contenders thereafter, playing in 5 SBs and winning two, until @ the mid ‘80s.

Jason Garrett, in 7 full seasons, has yet to get past the conference semifinals.
I have a hard time believing that fans today could handle 6 seasons without a winning season.

GenoT

Reaction score
JJ said it like this "I want Jason Garrett to win COY in 24 months". He said that just recently so project outwards 24 months from now. I know, bad post and thought right
If Jason were to win COY in the next 24 months, the Cowboys will have to have most likely at least appeared in a SB.

Jerry’s statement is therefore somewhat self-serving, as far as taking pressure off JG, since most coaches who at least reach the SB aren’t on the hot seat.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad but true, there's not another NFL team run as this one is. And there's not another one that matches the revenue or ratings and as long as that continues, no changes at the top.

The sooner fans accpet that, the easier this becomes to control their expectations. Why would a team with an incompetent GM hire a competent HC?
True Coach. And sadder to me is that in order to stay a fan of this organization, we have to accept some of the crazy dysfunction that our 75 year old owner/GM tried to make seem acceptable.

I accept that this is the way things are. But I will never accept that this is either good nor a reasonable path to NFL success.

GenoT

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that fans today could handle 6 seasons without a winning season.
Agree...but Jones likely won’t make a change, based on fan pressure, unless he sees his attendance, merch sales and TV ratings go down.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

They could handle it if they knew the new coach was starting with an expansion team full of rejects from other teams and was literally rebuilding every position. JG wasn't hindered by any of that, he had a talented team from the get go that he mismanaged into 3 straight 8-8 seasons.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can't and most HC's don't get but about 3 to get to that, and some don't get that. The patience level of owners has dropped significantly and the GM's feel the heat to get a winner.

There aren't many teams like the Cowboys that will sell it out regardless of the record. These owners look out and see empty seats or hear boos from the ones that did show up, that has effect.

And the ones that pay close attention watch their locker rooms. That's where a lot of coaching jobs are lost.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Agree...but Jones likely won’t make a change, based on fan pressure, unless he sees his attendance, merch sales and TV ratings go down.
I don't think it's all about money with Jones, I believe he genuinely wants the franchise to win. But he's his own worse enemy and won't bring in the right group.

acr731

Reaction score
They can't and most HC's don't get but about 3 to get to that, and some don't get that. The patience level of owners has dropped significantly and the GM's feel the heat to get a winner.

There aren't many teams like the Cowboys that will sell it out regardless of the record. These owners look out and see empty seats or hear boos from the ones that did show up, that has effect.

And the ones that pay close attention watch their locker rooms. That's where a lot of coaching jobs are lost.

That doesn't bother Jerry. The seats are always full, and Jerry doesn't care what color jersey the fan is wearing. A butt in a seat is a win-win for him, regardless of who that fan is rooting for that particular day.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True Coach. And sadder to me is that in order to stay a fan of this organization, we have to accept some of the crazy dysfunction that our 75 year old owner/GM tried to make seem acceptable.

I accept that this is the way things are. But I will never accept that this is either good nor a reasonable path to NFL success.
Totally agree that this is not the way but we are the Raiders fans when Al became Crazy Al. I was a Raiders fan and that was even more frustrating than this because at one time he had been good, very good. Booger has never been good.

Ever wonder where this all might be if he hadn't hired the best man to build the team? He would have had to so the same thing that Bright did, sell it.

acr731

Reaction score
If Dallas was hosting the Packers one day and the stadium was filled with 80,000 Packer fans, I doubt Jerry would even blink. Its money in his pocket.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They could handle it if they knew the new coach was starting with an expansion team full of rejects from other teams and was literally rebuilding every position. JG wasn't hindered by any of that, he had a talented team from the get go that he mismanaged into 3 straight 8-8 seasons.
You can believe what you want but there's no way fans would handle 6 losing seasons.
I couldn't care less what excuse you want to use. The expansion wouldn't be a good enough excuse today.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not trying to change what you said. I was just stating what I believe about what’s wrong with the organization’s proclivity for excuses.

IMO- As long as your organization accepts excuses, like finding “valid reasons” why your team didn’t make the playoffs, your team won’t have the resiliency necessary to be a champion. Excuses are always available. Great teams just choose not to use them.

Aren't, "valid reasons," you know... valid?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Dallas was hosting the Packers one day and the stadium was filled with 80,000 Packer fans, I doubt Jerry would even blink. Its money in his pocket.

Jerry's a 75 year old man whose net worth is over $5 billion. At this point in his life making more money isn't his primary motivation. He wants another ring.

The problem is, he wants to be the "football guy" leading the charge. Hiring a top coach/GM and letting them do the work wouldn't make him happy.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Meh, expectations?! Who needs them, they really are just premeditated disappointment

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The problem is that we've already crossed the point where there is no logical reason to keep this obnoxious android. If a head coach is going to take you to the super bowl he'll do it within five years of getting his job. Garrett's nearly eight year tenure hasn't even seen a deep playoff run. The only reason he's stuck around this long is he knows exactly what buttons to press on Jerry to pull his fat out of the fire. I want clappy shipped off to the happy home as much as the next person but I'm at the point where I'll believe it when it happens.
It takes time for Garrett to build the roster. ;)

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You can believe what you want but there's no way fans would handle 6 losing seasons.
I couldn't care less what excuse you want to use. The expansion wouldn't be a good enough excuse today.
Fans wouldn't do it today because expansion teams can win in a hurry. Back in the 60's it wasn't possible. And especially the Cowboys who didn't even participate in the 1960 draft. Those teams were made of NFL castoffs. Garrett inherited a team that was picked to go to the SB the year before.