Twitter: ESPN Insiders rank Garrett 30th out of 32 coaches

Bluefin

Reaction score
It was tough for voters to give Garrett a high grade based on on-field results, but there was also a pervasive feeling that any coach would struggle to succeed in Dallas given owner Jerry Jones' leadership style and decision-making. Multiple voters thought Jones was the one responsible for the disastrous change from Rob Ryan to Monte Kiffin at defensive coordinator, for example. "Tough place, tough everything," said a longtime executive with a background in multiple organizations. "Garrett is a smart guy, but he doesn't reach everybody."

Were they asked to grade Jason Garrett as a head coach or how difficult they believe it is to work for Jerry Jones?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don't know if Garrett should be ranked 30th but he is in the bottom half of the league. I'm tired of his process. It's time to start winning and to stop making the same mistakes over and over again.

Reactions: Coy

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Were they asked to grade Jason Garrett as a head coach or how difficult they believe it is to work for Jerry Jones?

He is a Cowboy head coach. Unfortunately, he has a serious handicap that no other head coach in the league has to deal with.

That said, he knew what he was getting into. I have zero sympathy for him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if Garrett should be ranked 30th but he is in the bottom half of the league. I'm tired of his process. It's time to start winning and to stop making the same mistakes over and over again.

I can't really evaluate him considering the hand he's been dealt here but he obviously isn't part of the solution so I want him gone.

Would it surprise me if he left here and enjoyed success elsewhere? No, it would not.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I can't really evaluate him considering the hand he's been dealt here but he obviously isn't part of the solution so I want him gone.

Would it surprise me if he left here and enjoyed success elsewhere? No, it would not.

I'd have more sympathy for him if the Cowboys at least played like they were prepared. All the mistakes gets old after awhile. I do agree that he should have had the power that other Head Coaches have but that's never going to be the case here.

chicago JK

Reaction score
We could probably do better at head coach. I want Garrett to succeed but I have been disappointed with him. I could see him turn out to be a good coach with a more stable franchise in the future. It wouldn't surprise me despite his struggles here.

Bangin on Garrett is easy. IMO all the hate should go to the person who has put together a defense that appears really bad and years away from being able to be a strength. This after a decision to switch defenses last offseason to a defense that was better suited for this team only to see the worst defense in franchise history.

Fix the front office and most of the other issues will improve or go away.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I have him ranked 63rd. I think he's worse than All NFL coaches, 15 college coaches, 12 UFL coaches and 3 High School Coaches.
Now that's some serious rank. don't care if it's deserved or not. winning cures all.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Not all teams that have finished with worse records had stars like Romo, Dez, Witten, Murray, Tyron, Ware, Lee, Spencer etc. that´s why Garrett is held to a higher standard, as he should be, saying that, I don´t agree with the ranking, I´d have him in the 20 to 25 range because I really do think he is a good talent evaluator, it´s just that he is a lousy game day HC IMO.

Anyway, this is a new year, maybe Garrett can shut us boubters and BSPN up, at least I hope he does.

How is he a good talent evaluator? The guy has turned our defense from ranked 2nd overall in 2009 into all time bad in 3 short years. This season looks even worse. He has zero clue about what he's looking for on that side of the ball.

The offense has been somewhat respectable mostly because of Romo, Dez and Witten... all guys who were handpicked by Jerry before Garrett became HC.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Fix the front office and most of the other issues will improve or go away.

IMO, the biggest problem with the front office, particularly Jerry Jones, has been the frequency of head coaching changes.

I think it's at 3.6 years right now.

You can't develop an identity when this happens.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
IMO, the biggest problem with the front office, particularly Jerry Jones, has been the frequency of head coaching changes.

I don't really see it that way. I think the front office and Garrett have done a great job of at least getting young guys on the field. Under Wade and Parcells, you basically had to drop dead to lose your job.

Again, I like a lot of what Garrett done off the field - it's his gametime portfolio that's REALLY barren.

Coy

Reaction score
How is he a good talent evaluator? The guy has turned our defense from ranked 2nd overall in 2009 into all time bad in 3 short years. This season looks even worse. He has zero clue about what he's looking for on that side of the ball.

The offense has been somewhat respectable mostly because of Romo, Dez and Witten... all guys who were handpicked by Jerry before Garrett became HC.

I am not defending Garrett, in fact I've wanted him gone after the 2012 season, I mentioned that because I believe that we've drafted well this past couple of years, at least on Offense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm sorry, I'm still laughing at the thought that Jerry Jones handpicked Romo and Witten. I'll get back to you.

Coy

Reaction score

I'd go with the quality of HC he's hired, take Parcells and Jimmy out of the equation and the rest of them are laughable.

Zordon

Reaction score
What does he actually bring to the team?

Please don't bring up the fact that the team plays hard just like 90% of the other teams in the league.