ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

plymkr

Reaction score
Jane Slater said it flat-out that a WR said Dak panics if his first read isn’t there…. Stephen A. smith said something like he met a couple of Cowboys in the off-season last year in Vegas at the fight and they said they all believe the roster is good enough, but the question is whether Dak has it to get them there.
Ouch. I knew about Jane Slater’s report but I didn’t know about SAS. There’s a lot of smoke there. It would explain why Jerry is cool letting Dak play out this year.

Flamma

Reaction score
If I was Dak, after Jerry just bashed me and tried to punk me out in front of the whole world, I would call Jerry, Stephen and McCarthy, today, and tell them I'm sitting out until I receive a new contract which I agree to. Let Rush and Lance QB the team to start the season. Once those losses start piling up and all of Cowboys Nation starts picketing to sign Dak immediately, we will soon find out who can punk who out.
His competitive nature won't allow him to do that. He knows he sucked and embarrassed himself against the Packers. Jerry calling him out. It's human nature as an athlete to take him up on his challenge. Not cry.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Jerry must have rewatched the Packer game when Dak crapped on himself as per usual in the playoffs and took them outta the game in 24 minutes. Jerry said " wait just a darn minute! Who singlehandedly keeps losing these big games?"

cowboyed

Reaction score
Dak is just is not as effective competing against the more talented quarterbacks on formidable teams who usually advance in the playoffs. The quality of player depth on better teams tells us that our team has and is being run by pedestrian general and executive management that is not as intuitive and shrewd trading for, and drafting college players and acquiring free agents as we think.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I don't think that there has been anything disrespectful uttered in this. It's a business, and all parties understand this. I never will blame a player for trying to get as much as they can - they have a limited shelf life to earn as much as possible, and it's not the player's responsibility to manage the cap - it's ownership's job. Conversely, I don't blame ownership for holding the line on what they want to pay someone either. If it were my team that I owned, I would have went to Prescott/France after the season ended, and asked for them to waive the no-trade clause so they could move on. Prescott isn't worth that salary IMO. They didn't, and here we are.

Don't think for a minute that this is playing out the way that BOTH parties want this to play out. Prescott and France want to hit free agency, and Jones now has the Cowboys as a conversation point throughout the season. Yes, it's stupid to create a huge distraction for the whole team, but to Jerry Jones, distractions via media reporting of the contract=relevance=clicks=dollars.
This (text in bold). I absolutely agree. Both didn't expect the way it all developed and I think both parties don't want to be in that situation right now. I can understand Dak's comments after Jerry's idiotic (and useless) bantering but in effect both should just keep their mouths shut until a decision has been made.

I doubt Dak would have waived his NTC though. Unless of course there had been a huge offering from any other club. But I doubt there would have after the GB game.

It really doesn't make any sense for both parties doing what they are doing right now. Weird how things go sometimes. :huh: And it's not good for the team. This does something with the other players heads. A guy saying publicly that he doesn't care about what his boss says... I guess many awkward moments in Frisco these days.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don't pay someone a d expect them to step up.....you pay them because they stepped up. That's how you win with big contracts.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jane Slater said it flat-out that a WR said Dak panics if his first read isn’t there…. Stephen A. smith said something like he met a couple of Cowboys in the off-season last year in Vegas at the fight and they said they all believe the roster is good enough, but the question is whether Dak has it to get them there.
I don't know about this part. The second part about SAS I can see but to say he panics w/o a first read especially coming from just "a WR". There is a long article over on The Athletic.com that's titled NFL QB Tiers 2024. It is their 11th annual survey of 50 NFL coaches and executives. I can't link any info for obvious reasons but here are few nuggets...
Tier 1 has only 3 QBs......Mahomes, Burrow and Allen. These QBs ( as stated ) can carry their team each week. Teams win because of them. They have no holes in their game.

Tier 2 has 11 QBs .........Jackson, Stafford, Herbert, Rogers, Stroud, Dak, Goff, Hurts, Purdy, Cousins, Love. These QBs can carry a team sometimes but not consistently. They can handles pressure passing situations in doses but possess other dimensions that elevate them above tire 3 QBs. They have a hole or two in their game. A couple of comments about Dak......#9 BTW
" Dak can roll out of bed and throw for 450 yards" but this OC went on to say he has to overcome his playoff issues to be tier 1. ( this is what I think Jerry is referring to about he has to do more)
" I have always given him a 2 said a defensive coor but this year I gave him a 3" He's proven year in and year out he can't get it done in the playoff"
" Dak is the definition of tier 2". He is not perfect, he has some holes but he is about as steady of tier 2 as you can be.

My point here is you don't have issues/problems making 2nd and 3rd reads and put up the kind of stats he has. In other words, Lamb and Ferguson are likely his 1st and/or 2nd read on most passing plays. They both had career years last season.

My issue is him not taking ownership of plays from the side that he either knows or should know won't work but he runs the play anyway trying to make something that's not there.