ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

bottleKids

Reaction score
I can hang with you until the last statement. Why is it difficult to get in y’all’s heads that Dak is only getting 60 in Dallas. If he leaves. Hell get 70
So someone else is going to pay him 15 million more than the next highest QB? Really? Circle false. Take Dak out of it ... i don't think next richest contract will jump that high per year all at once... Burrow makes 55 a year on average... you are telling me someone will pay the next guy due 15 Million more a year?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Yep, me too.
While I fully support PAPPY and Mountain in their moving on from Dak opinions, I just need to see him physically off this team before I can believe.
Just hard for me to believe it til it actually happens.
Jerry has perfected the art of caving to player contract demands.
And I can't let go of that fact until Dak is officially gone.
Til then I'll expect some massive switcheroo from Jerry and him caving like he always has.

jmo
This. Anyone who "knows" what Jerry will do...doesn't know Jerry. Just ask Jimmy. Ask Stephen. Heck..ask Charlotte. Jerry is a guy who thrives on messing with people's expectations...because he loves/needs the attention.

shabazz

Reaction score
I like Dak and Im indifferent on whether he stays or not.i dont believe hes been THE reason for our failures but hes certainly contributed. That said I don't think Dak did anything honorable here at all. I think an honorable thing would be for him to recognize there's work to be dont and that he doesn't need to set the market again.He did it once or came close. I dont blame these athletes for getting their bag especially when owners don't always honor contracts and 1 injury can derail you.

I think Dak is selfish and is thinking free agency or that Jerry will cave. an honorable thing would be about 55 mil and be ready to go get that ring. I figured hed be signed by now but Jerry does like to be relevant in the news
It takes a truly elite quarterback here to overcome the Jones's

They've been blessed by being in a weak conference and weak division ( the bipolar Eagles withstanding).....if they were in the AFC their record would look way different.

starfan1

Reaction score
It takes a truly elite quarterback here to overcome the Jones's

They've been blessed by being in a weak conference and weak division ( the bipolar Eagles withstanding).....if they were in the AFC their record would look way different.
I may agree with that and there is literally 1 maybe 2 truly elite QBs in league at the moment. Best hopes is Jerry fix all the other spots and Im not sure weve done that

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Right and saying that other Qb's have started elsewhere and had success and Dak not being afraid to do what they did, so be it!!
It is what it is. Dak aiming to be the highest paid player in NFL history and that’s fine; only shocking to see he’s surprised that any GM would be hesitant to do that with a guy who was just dog walked out of playoff game against GB.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You guys are listening to a Dumbo GM that has not gotten his team past the divisional round in the playoffs in 30 years, fired 2 Hall of Fame Super Bowl Head Coaches, fired one back to back HOF Super Bowl Head Coach, ran off another HOF Super Bowl Head Coach, fired all the personnel that knew how to put a Super Bowl contending team, and is trying to challenge a QB that everyone in the NFL says is a leader, winner, top 10 QB to cover up his failures as a Dumbo GM.

Will McClay for GM. Yes, I know a lot of NFL personnel managers that can do it better than Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. One is sitting 2 offices down and does not have the last name Jones.

John813

Reaction score
So someone else is going to pay him 15 million more than the next highest QB? Really? Circle false. Take Dak out of it ... i don't think next richest contract will jump that high per year all at once... Burrow makes 55 a year on average... you are telling me someone will pay the next guy due 15 Million more a year?

Yea, the 70mil number is wild. He going to play in a Saudi football league?

I'm still not convinced he cracks 60mil here.

khiladi

Reaction score
I took it as questioning his ceiling. I took it as can Dak do more with less. If he’s asking that then there’s some question if Dak can raise the level of play of those around him.

I do strongly agree with you that something happened in that Green Bay game that goes beyond losing. There’s a small part of me that wanted CD to sign elsewhere and spill the beans. Because that fight/spat Dak and CD got into was really early in the game. Normally guys get frustrated or whatever when losing a playoff game in the 3rd or 4th quarter and start bickering. This was in the 1st quarter and the game was still within reach. It seemed odd. It seemed like a carry over from something else. Then you got CD’s mom doing her thing on social media and Parsons brother following suit. It was weird and a red flag something else was going on.

There’s a big part of me that believes money is not the reason for the lack of extension. I believe it’s the contract structure, Jerry has doubts about Dak, or possibly what we just discussed: locker room issues. Purely speculation on my part but I would love to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Jerry has always took care of his guys and I feel overpaid a lot. I mean he was about to sign Randy Gregory to a massive deal and RG backed out (thank God). So why not with Dak? It’s definitely weird.
Jane Slater said it flat-out that a WR said Dak panics if his first read isn’t there…. Stephen A. smith said something like he met a couple of Cowboys in the off-season last year in Vegas at the fight and they said they all believe the roster is good enough, but the question is whether Dak has it to get them there.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jane Slater said it flat-out that a WR said Dak panics if his first read isn’t there…. Stephen A. smith said something like he met a couple of Cowboys in the off-season last year in Vegas at the fight and they said they all believe the roster is good enough, but the question is whether Dak has it to get them there.
My opinion is if we had a better HC and QB, yes, this team would go much further than they have and likely will.

shabazz

Reaction score
I may agree with that and there is literally 1 maybe 2 truly elite QBs in league at the moment. Best hopes is Jerry fix all the other spots and Im not sure weve done that
There can only be so many reasons to explain how a team that has three 12 win seasons in a row has gone 1-3 in the playoffs......I can look at their strength of schedule as a good reason why......the only playoff team they beat was a putrid 8-9 Bucs team that had no business being there.

People forget how really bad the NFC East was in 2021......the Cowboys swept the entire division but promptly lost to a 3rd place wildcard team in the first round.

If there a different explanation, I'm all ears

Mikexike

Reaction score
You guys are listening to a Dumbo GM that has not gotten his team past the divisional round in the playoffs in 30 years, fired 2 Hall of Fame Super Bowl Head Coaches, fired one back to back HOF Super Bowl Head Coach, ran off another HOF Super Bowl Head Coach, fired all the personnel that knew how to put a Super Bowl contending team, and is trying to challenge a QB that everyone in the NFL says is a leader, winner, top 10 QB to cover up his failures as a Dumbo GM.

Will McClay for GM. Yes, I know a lot of NFL personnel managers that can do it better than Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. One is sitting 2 offices down and does not have the last name Jones.
He is sure dumb but he fielded the teams that got to the playoffs, All the blame can't be on him for the player personnel not performing to get past the divisional.....

The teams mentality are just Charmin soft once the elimination games begin.....

NotForLong

Reaction score
Yep, me too.
While I fully support PAPPY and Mountain in their moving on from Dak opinions, I just need to see him physically off this team before I can believe.
Just hard for me to believe it til it actually happens.
Jerry has perfected the art of caving to player contract demands.
And I can't let go of that fact until Dak is officially gone.
Til then I'll expect some massive switcheroo from Jerry and him caving like he always has.

jmo
Exactly

kskboys

Reaction score
The penalty is no pay, sitting out a season without accruing credit for it pension wise and having his contract toll for a season, meaning he won't be a free agent in 2025. It actually helps the Cowboys financially, as they get a credit for his pay each week that can be pushed to 2025 to offset his salary.

But, right, no problem for Prescott doing that.
Leveon found that out. Lost millions.