ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

Staubacher

Reaction score
New CBA rules state as long as a player shows up and plays 10 games in a 17 game season, he gets credit for that season...and PAID...while awaiting free agency by the end of the season.

Guaranteed, Jerry will be calling and offering Dak a $60 mil/year new contract if the team starts off 2-5 (or worse) to start the season.
So we know you'll be rooting for the team to lose once again just like you did when Cooper Rush was quarterbacking

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Best thing for this franchise is that Dak doesn't sign a new deal. Wets the bed in the playoffs (I rather he wins a SB or goes to the Conference Championship. But I doubt it). Signs with another team. Belicheat comes in with a clean slate.
Belicheat won't come here unless Dak stays. He absolutely loves Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What would that have accomplished? He would still be under contract, subject to fines & have to show up now anyway. Plus, it would kill any perception that he was bargaining in good faith.
It didn't kill Zack Martin's reputation of bargaining in good faith when he sat out last summer...or when CeeDee did it this summer.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It didn't kill Zack Martin's reputation of bargaining in good faith when he sat out last summer...or when CeeDee did it this summer.
It did hurt Zack's. People have questioned it. The fact everyone knew he was angling for his last payday tempered it though and the net difference wasn't anywhere near the numbers of these other extensions. CeeDee was bargaining for his first extension and didn't do anything outside the norm in how he went about it.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Serious question, Have we ever seen Dak go to the def and tell them to get their act together???? I don't believe I have.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I'm confused......is he questioning Dak's ceiling, work ethic or leadership? IF you mean this, then it seems to me we need to shut down any talk of extension until after the season.

The bottom line is this goes back to his disappointment with the GB game IMO. In one of the biggest games of his career, Dak shows up ill-prepared. I have said it before and will say it again, something happened that week before the game that raised a red flag in leadership.
All of the above

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If Dak is so avg, how come justin fields sucked so bad? How come russel wilson sucks? How bout Pickett? They play some pretty avg teams on the schedule as well. How come the Bears havent won at least 10 games... since like 2000?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

"Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on what Plan B is at quarterback for next year with no quarterbacks currently under contract: Do you know in this day and time you can have them under contract and they still not come? So contracts isn't the end all solution. Some of the best decisions that I've been a part of with the Cowboys have been when we didn't have contracts one way or the other whether the player was on our team or some other team. So I've quit a long time ago getting bent out of shape whether we have someone under contract or not."

What Dak ought to do is force Jerry's hand by suddenly sitting out right now as the season is about to start. Force Jerry to start Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and watch those losses start accumulating while the season starts becoming unwinnable. Then watch the public outcry from Cowboys Nation worldwide for Jerry to stop being a fool and save the season by re-signing Dak!

That will make Jerry eat his words.
You assume we win with Dak or that Dak can elevate the team.

75boyz

Reaction score
Whatever it takes to sway Jerry because every decision he makes is a head scratchier. Even after these comments I am still not convinced Jerry will not cave . . . for no other reason then it is Jerry doing what Jerry does
Yep, me too.
While I fully support PAPPY and Mountain in their moving on from Dak opinions, I just need to see him physically off this team before I can believe.
Just hard for me to believe it til it actually happens.
Jerry has perfected the art of caving to player contract demands.
And I can't let go of that fact until Dak is officially gone.
Til then I'll expect some massive switcheroo from Jerry and him caving like he always has.

jmo

bottleKids

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

"Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on what Plan B is at quarterback for next year with no quarterbacks currently under contract: Do you know in this day and time you can have them under contract and they still not come? So contracts isn't the end all solution. Some of the best decisions that I've been a part of with the Cowboys have been when we didn't have contracts one way or the other whether the player was on our team or some other team. So I've quit a long time ago getting bent out of shape whether we have someone under contract or not."

What Dak ought to do is force Jerry's hand by suddenly sitting out right now as the season is about to start. Force Jerry to start Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and watch those losses start accumulating while the season starts becoming unwinnable. Then watch the public outcry from Cowboys Nation worldwide for Jerry to stop being a fool and save the season by re-signing Dak!

That will make Jerry eat his words.
I also think the happy medium is what you have been saying or months... take a team friendly deal, so the statement of "less around you" does not to be the case. Dak has proven he needs talent around him so best of both worlds is that team friendly. Will he do it? Probably not ....