ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To me this is an unprofessional statement from a GM. Why? Because you can't put up a generally valid measurement for such a "requirement". That's like a boss saying "I want you to be the happiest employee if you want that raise".

So I also think this is just venting. Maybe the issue is something another NTC which Jerry doesn't want to grant right now? I can't imagine that money is the issue here. He likes his guys after all.
Yep, I reckon the issue's number of years. Dak wants another big pay day in 2027/8 and Jerry, with the $40m Dead Money, is struggling to find money to put out a team, hence the comment that 'if you want the money, you'll have to play up to (and even above) the contract'.

There's some that just want to absolve responsibility of CAP management onto Jerry.....well Dak's benefitted from the restructuring, that give him those WR1 AND WR 2, running game and O-Lines.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How do you get to these numbers?

Do you have any kind of work behind those statements you can lean that on?

If so please post your work so we are all be able to follow your thinking process. Or are thise numbers just fictional BS?
I suppose it's hypothetical, but some desperate team may offer $70m, knowing that Dak would need the financial incentive to join a bottom dweller. This is possibly what Jerry's looking at, 'yea he'll get offers, but will he take the extra money to play in the cold or for a non-contender'.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep, I reckon the issue's number of years. Dak wants another big pay day in 2027/8 and Jerry, with the $40m Dead Money, is struggling to find money to put out a team, hence the comment that 'if you want the money, you'll have to play up to (and even above) the contract'.

There's some that just want to absolve responsibility of CAP management onto Jerry.....well Dak's benefitted from the restructuring, that give him those WR1 AND WR 2, running game and O-Lines.
Running game and O-Line?

Who is getting highly paid out of those 2 groups? None of the RBs. On the Oline, it's only old man Zack Martin (which this year is his last under contract) and Terence Steele. That's it. Pretty much no big pay is currently being used for either the RB or Oline groups.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
It seems the Pampering days are over for #4.
Honestly who the heck is he to get a free ride?
You want 60 million man, well prove you're worth it.
Beating dog teams in the regular season ain't cutting it Dak.
There is no way he survives this upcoming schedule esp with all the outside on-grass games......mama Mia....look away look away it will be gruesome!!
306afaad-558d-41a9-b837-379663b5a471_text.gif
Dak is so soft. This is just icing on the cake. Mentally he’s checked out

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.

Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
Do you collect the Davidians tides ??

Lmaooo !!

Never seen suck dedicating before worshipping a loser. Good luck with that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you collect the Davidians tides ??

Lmaooo !!

Never seen suck dedicating before worshipping a loser. Good luck with that.
Dak will eventually get re-signed for a record contract extension, and you will still be here worshipping Jerry, Dak and this franchise as usual. Gripes and all.
:muttley:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Running game and O-Line?

Who is getting highly paid out of those 2 groups? None of the RBs. On the Oline, it's only old man Zack Martin (which this year is his last under contract) and Terence Steele. That's it. Pretty much no big pay is currently being used for either the RB or Oline groups.
WAS paid. Im talking about the restructuring that accumulated into the $40m Dead Money.....Some on here say that CAP management (and the Dead Money), is on Jerry. Well Dak had the benefit of Tyrone, Martin, Pollard (even Zeke was a top 10 RB in 2022).

The $40m Dead Money is more of a concern, to Jerry, than arguing over $1 or $2m per year. The way Jerry used the restructuring this contract (to give Dak that offense), he was looking/expecting something back from Dak in this negotiation especially after he gave the NTC and Dak's preferred number of years.

This is the basis of Jerry's comments, reading between the lines he saying....'if you dont give us (the number of years) the responsibility is on you, because we cant afford the restructure we did last time'.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak will eventually get re-signed for a record contract extension, and you will still be here worshipping Jerry, Dak and this franchise as usual. Gripes and all.
It's only the Dak fans who see this as being a Dak v Jerry, the rest of us see both as being the problem. The resolution is Dak, sign a career ending contract at top (ish) money, responsibility then falls squarely on the shoulders of Jerry to create the championship team around him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.
1 playoff win was Dak's claim to fame early on............
Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
Your posts make my brain hurt.....................OMG...........

Yobwocs

Reaction score
That's true. It'll be fun to watch them for 6 more years try to keep telling us Dak sucks while Dak is still gonna be here consuming 300 more of their Sundays. Maybe won't win anything but still... gonna be fun to see these people cry :laugh:

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Jerry calling the kettle black. After 29 seasons without making it to the championship game, let alone the Superbowl, as a self-appointed GM he should listen to his own words. You haven't produced anything Jerry, and as GM, that's YOUR responsibility. But yet, somehow you're worth $10 billion and climbing.

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm confused......is he questioning Dak's ceiling, work ethic or leadership? IF you mean this, then it seems to me we need to shut down any talk of extension until after the season.

The bottom line is this goes back to his disappointment with the GB game IMO. In one of the biggest games of his career, Dak shows up ill-prepared. I have said it before and will say it again, something happened that week before the game that raised a red flag in leadership.
I took it as questioning his ceiling. I took it as can Dak do more with less. If he’s asking that then there’s some question if Dak can raise the level of play of those around him.

I do strongly agree with you that something happened in that Green Bay game that goes beyond losing. There’s a small part of me that wanted CD to sign elsewhere and spill the beans. Because that fight/spat Dak and CD got into was really early in the game. Normally guys get frustrated or whatever when losing a playoff game in the 3rd or 4th quarter and start bickering. This was in the 1st quarter and the game was still within reach. It seemed odd. It seemed like a carry over from something else. Then you got CD’s mom doing her thing on social media and Parsons brother following suit. It was weird and a red flag something else was going on.

There’s a big part of me that believes money is not the reason for the lack of extension. I believe it’s the contract structure, Jerry has doubts about Dak, or possibly what we just discussed: locker room issues. Purely speculation on my part but I would love to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Jerry has always took care of his guys and I feel overpaid a lot. I mean he was about to sign Randy Gregory to a massive deal and RG backed out (thank God). So why not with Dak? It’s definitely weird.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry calling the kettle black. After 29 seasons without making it to the championship game, let alone the Superbowl, as a self-appointed GM he should listen to his own words. You haven't produced anything Jerry, and as GM, that's YOUR responsibility. But yet, somehow you're worth $10 billion and climbing.
This

I wish we could dump the GM and QB

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very simple show us what you can do. Dak and will pay you, if not ostela, vista.Baby

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I took it as questioning his ceiling. I took it as can Dak do more with less. If he’s asking that then there’s some question if Dak can raise the level of play of those around him.
Yep, it's the 'law of the Cap'. Mahomes and Allen and every other vet QB are in that same predicament. Dak was lucky that he was artificially supported during the present contract into a 21% CAP hit this year and $40m Dead money next year.

I do strongly agree with you that something happened in that Green Bay game that goes beyond losing. There’s a small part of me that wanted CD to sign elsewhere and spill the beans. Because that fight/spat Dak and CD got into was really early in the game. Normally guys get frustrated or whatever when losing a playoff game in the 3rd or 4th quarter and start bickering. This was in the 1st quarter and the game was still within reach. It seemed odd. It seemed like a carry over from something else.
If we take the SF play-off games, Dak just capitulates as soon as something goes wrong......he's no 'forget it and move on'......CeeDee drops, Dak falls apart.

There’s a big part of me that believes money is not the reason for the lack of extension. I believe it’s the contract structure, Jerry has doubts about Dak
Id go that Jerry thinks he's owed something (YEARS) for conceding on pretty much every demand in the last negotiation (WHEN DAK WAS COMING OFF AN INJURY). The way he's restructured indicates he was expecting an extension, then (as you correctly say), the GB game happens.

If we beat GB, Dak would already of been signed, to ridiculous money AND FOR LIFE.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I agree 100% with Booger. I’m glad Jerry said the soft part loud. Dak’s going to have to do more with less if Jerry pays Dak’s price. If there is any belief or reservations that Dak can’t do more with less then don’t pay his price.
I have no problem with that. But that is LIFE in the NFL as a GM. Either take the chance that he can do more and pay him...or move on. No different than ANY other situation in the NFL. There are no GUARANTEES.
  • When you ask fans to renew season tickets for 2 and 3 year commitments, we do it knowing full well the team is not GUARANTEED to win.
  • When you put your money into the stock market, you do it knowing full well that you are not GUARANTEED to make money.
  • When you buy a house, you do it knowing full well that the housing market is not GUARANTEED to appreciate at a rate you would prefer.
This nonstop whining is ANNOYING. And the irony is, Jerry has it BETTER than any other GM in NFL HISTORY. If he takes a chance and is wrong, he is not going to lose his job and he is going to make more money than any other franchise in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!

cowboyed

Reaction score
With all the fussing about Dak being elite I think what says it best about his overall performance level is that he is Tier 2. A very good regular season quarterback but one that is inconsistent levelling up in the playoffs to contribute more to winning against formidable teams. A substantial increase and long term contract is not an easy decision at this stage of his career. Maybe structure a contract that has additional playoff financial incentives? You still have to pay him well enough though because he has had success getting you to the playoffs. Does Dak have a no trade clause? It would be interesting if we could swap him with a talented backup quarterback that is starting material and also get some additional picks out of it. Though he has talent there would be growing pains starting Trey Lance and we have high priced players on board whose skills and abilities you would not want to waste. It all comes down to our executive management including the GM being subpar.

plymkr

Reaction score
Yep, it's the 'law of the Cap'. Mahomes and Allen and every other vet QB are in that same predicament. Dak was lucky that he was artificially supported during the present contract into a 21% CAP hit this year and $40m Dead money next year.

If we take the SF play-off games, Dak just capitulates as soon as something goes wrong......he's no 'forget it and move on'......CeeDee drops, Dak falls apart.

Id go that Jerry thinks he's owed something (YEARS) for conceding on pretty much every demand in the last negotiation (WHEN DAK WAS COMING OFF AN INJURY). The way he's restructured indicates he was expecting an extension, then (as you correctly say), the GB game happens.

If we beat GB, Dak would already of been signed, to ridiculous money AND FOR LIFE.
Yep, I agree with all your points