ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

HanD

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

"Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on what Plan B is at quarterback for next year with no quarterbacks currently under contract: Do you know in this day and time you can have them under contract and they still not come? So contracts isn't the end all solution. Some of the best decisions that I've been a part of with the Cowboys have been when we didn't have contracts one way or the other whether the player was on our team or some other team. So I've quit a long time ago getting bent out of shape whether we have someone under contract or not."

What Dak ought to do is force Jerry's hand by suddenly sitting out right now as the season is about to start. Force Jerry to start Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and watch those losses start accumulating while the season starts becoming unwinnable. Then watch the public outcry from Cowboys Nation worldwide for Jerry to stop being a fool and save the season by re-signing Dak!

That will make Jerry eat his words.
Could also backfire and have more fans turn against him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
WAS paid. Im talking about the restructuring that accumulated into the $40m Dead Money.....Some on here say that CAP management (and the Dead Money), is on Jerry. Well Dak had the benefit of Tyrone, Martin, Pollard (even Zeke was a top 10 RB in 2022).

The $40m Dead Money is more of a concern, to Jerry, than arguing over $1 or $2m per year. The way Jerry used the restructuring this contract (to give Dak that offense), he was looking/expecting something back from Dak in this negotiation especially after he gave the NTC and Dak's preferred number of years.

This is the basis of Jerry's comments, reading between the lines he saying....'if you dont give us (the number of years) the responsibility is on you, because we cant afford the restructure we did last time'.
Aaah, gotcha! I totally agree with Jerry.

Thank you brother.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's only the Dak fans who see this as being a Dak v Jerry, the rest of us see both as being the problem. The resolution is Dak, sign a career ending contract at top (ish) money, responsibility then falls squarely on the shoulders of Jerry to create the championship team around him.
Yes, I agree with you.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It seems the Pampering days are over for #4.
Honestly who the heck is he to get a free ride?
You want 60 million man, well prove you're worth it.
Beating dog teams in the regular season ain't cutting it Dak.
There is no way he survives this upcoming schedule esp with all the outside on-grass games......mama Mia....look away look away it will be gruesome!!
306afaad-558d-41a9-b837-379663b5a471_text.gif
Agree.

And the schedule for 2024 is brutal.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I suppose it's hypothetical, but some desperate team may offer $70m, knowing that Dak would need the financial incentive to join a bottom dweller. This is possibly what Jerry's looking at, 'yea he'll get offers, but will he take the extra money to play in the cold or for a non-contender'.
Why would a bottom feeder make Dak the highest paid QB ever? Why wouldn't they just keep their money and look to the draft for a blue chipper with a future? Dak isn't 27, he's 31, and he's never gotten past the divisional round. What team is going to destroy their next five years for Dak?

pitt33

Reaction score
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.

Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
They lost 19-12 to SF two years ago.

The defense played great.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
They lost 19-12 to SF two years ago.

The defense played great.
That's the only one I agree with.

The other 4 losses were all poor fundamentals and players just not showing up and doing their jobs. Or they just got manhandled on the line of scrimmage. You just call it for what it is.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Because that fight/spat Dak and CD got into was really early in the game. Normally guys get frustrated or whatever when losing a playoff game in the 3rd or 4th quarter and start bickering. This was in the 1st quarter and the game was still within reach. It seemed odd. It seemed like a carry over from something else. Then you got CD’s mom doing her thing on social media and Parsons brother following suit. It was weird and a red flag something else was going on.
Exactly and this happened within the first 1-3 min of the game for crying out loud. I tend to believe and I'm just guessing here, that some of the team leaders or leader did not take the game as seriously coz GB was 7th seated and they were playing at home and some young players followed their lead which led to the entire team laying an egg. The game left a scar........Jerry still not letting them off the hook.

It doesn't take much to see/read Jerry's disappointment with Dak by his tone.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.

Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
Do Dak's boots taste good?

rags747

Reaction score
To me this is an unprofessional statement from a GM. Why? Because you can't put up a generally valid measurement for such a "requirement". That's like a boss saying "I want you to be the happiest employee if you want that raise".

So I also think this is just venting. Maybe the issue is something another NTC which Jerry doesn't want to grant right now? I can't imagine that money is the issue here. He likes his guys after all.
Happens All the time! You want those 10k Options at the end of the year, Well you better make your numbers! Nothing wrong with laying out incentive there. Dak steps up he gets that $60m contract plus he gets to retire as a Dallas Cowboy QB and have a life after football like Aikman and Staubach.

rags747

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

"Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on what Plan B is at quarterback for next year with no quarterbacks currently under contract: Do you know in this day and time you can have them under contract and they still not come? So contracts isn't the end all solution. Some of the best decisions that I've been a part of with the Cowboys have been when we didn't have contracts one way or the other whether the player was on our team or some other team. So I've quit a long time ago getting bent out of shape whether we have someone under contract or not."

What Dak ought to do is force Jerry's hand by suddenly sitting out right now as the season is about to start. Force Jerry to start Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and watch those losses start accumulating while the season starts becoming unwinnable. Then watch the public outcry from Cowboys Nation worldwide for Jerry to stop being a fool and save the season by re-signing Dak!

That will make Jerry eat his words.
What Do Contract Mean?! Dak is 100% under one. Not sure why this is such a big issue.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Id go that Jerry thinks he's owed something (YEARS) for conceding on pretty much every demand in the last negotiation (WHEN DAK WAS COMING OFF AN INJURY). The way he's restructured indicates he was expecting an extension, then (as you correctly say), the GB game happens.

If we beat GB, Dak would already of been signed, to ridiculous money AND FOR LIFE.
Let's translate and cut through the bushes ...........Jerry thinks Dak is refusing to negotiate in good faith and being selfish. In other words, he is seeing or has seen a side of Dak he didn't know was there.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry said he was floored after the GB game. For those of you that dont know what that means; a combination of shock, anger, disapointment. Normally he says some form of we'll get em next year. See if you can guess who is near the top of the list that floored him? He watched the first 3 quarters of that game, and like most of the rest of us, wont be able to unsee it.

Qcard

Reaction score
"At some point, you can't make all the money and do less work. He's got to do more work."

Remember when Prescott was on rookie contract.....

Stephen Jones did less work with more money??

Dak Haters history makes you weird ... :lmao: :lmao: