ESPN Mosley: Romo: Be patient with me

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 10, 2008 7:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

IRVING -- Until he wins a playoff game, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will continue to be asked about his relatively poor play in December and January over the past two seasons. On Wednesday, he cautioned reporters to give him a few years before deciding he couldn't win big games. He suggested that quarterbacks who've performed well in the regular-season (as he has) shouldn't have a problem winning in December and January. Here's what he told the New York media:
"Well, I have only two Decembers. This is my third one now. So I don't know if you can really have anything -- if I play about eight years and we stink in December every year, maybe we can talk about it.​

"But the first year you are just kind of running around with your head cut off, you don't really know what is going on. When you are playing you are just playing. And I think we went, what, 2-2 last year. But that is also different. I didn't even play but a half in that last game. So I would like to think I had a winning record a little bit except for last year. And we have only played one game [this season] against a good team on the road. So it is what it is. People talk and they come up with stats and a few different things. But the reality of it is if you are a good football team and you are playing games that everyone is playing in, yeah, you will win."​

Dallas Cowboys, Tony Romo, New York Giants
Read comments or leave a comment

The Panch

Reaction score
I didn't even play but a half in that last game.
And he looked horrible in that half. In fairness, so did the running game which were both a result of T.O.s' absence. I was hoping for Barber to go over 1,000 and he went for negative. Every carry made me cringe.

Givincer

Reaction score
The Panch;2480207 said:
And he looked horrible in that half. In fairness, so did the running game which were both a result of T.O.s' absence. I was hoping for Barber to go over 1,000 and he went for negative. Every carry made me cringe.

Guess that's what happens when your team has absolutely nothing to play for, and the other team is fighting for their playoff lives.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Romo will be fine and play great ball sunday nite... He comes back well from bad games...

The Panch

Reaction score
Givincer;2480218 said:
Guess that's what happens when your team has absolutely nothing to play for, and the other team is fighting for their playoff lives.
That's a weak excuse. When you're starters are in there, there's no excuse to get whooped up front like we did.

Givincer

Reaction score
The Panch;2480227 said:
That's a weak excuse. When you're starters are in there, there's no excuse to get whooped up front like we did.

Other than having nothing to play for, I guess...

What would you offer as an explanation? They were a better team? :laugh2:

sbark

Reaction score
Windows of opportunity can close quickly in the nfl...........

Mansta54

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2480238 said:
He sure does.

There's something about this team that I really like. That loss last week hurt but I really liked what I saw. I don't think this Dec. is gonna be like others. Our D is playing absolutely lights out and I have no worries about our O. Again, it was a L last week but it was a damn impressive L, to me anyway....

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The Panch;2480207 said:

No he didnt. He had a sure td dropped in the endzone and austin dropped a crossing route which would have been 6.

Get a freaking clue.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
This guy is still in denial.until he admits he has to win something. we are doomed.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;2480257 said:
No he didnt. He had a sure td dropped in the endzone and austin dropped a crossing route which would have been 6.

Get a freaking clue.
I swear people would have learned to appreciate Tony after 3 weeks of Brad Johnson.

I guess I was wrong.

ddh33

Reaction score
The least appreciative fan base in the NFL?

Romo isn't perfect. He's still one of the five best QBs in the league. And you're crazy if you think all of these December losses are on him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Anyone can say whatever but the turnovers in December are all you need to know. Not just this year but every December this team gets significantly negative in the turnover game.

I keep saying it over and over. You cannot turn the ball over and win in this league. Not one or even two but five is a big number.

That's not all on Romo. A lot is on the play calling. JASON.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
ddh33;2480264 said:
The least appreciative fan base in the NFL?

Romo isn't perfect. He's still one of the five best QBs in the league. And you're crazy if you think all of these December losses are on him.

I actually think this is the least appreciative fan base.

While taking care of my kids today I listened to the Ticket, espn 1033 and the new fan 105.3.

And the topic from all the hosts was how romo is not really that good, and every single caller on every station said he is not the guy and that if you put him on the foul line with 1 second left needing one point he would miss both shots.

They went on and on about how it is time for the GM to draft a real qb and how romo wasnt even drafted.

It was ticking me off so much I almost called this mike rodriguez guy on 105.3 He is blaming everything on romo and saying romo is what he is and he just doesnt have it.

This is one of the dumbest sports markets in the world. The fans here are spoiled, entitled and frankly Stupid.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2480198 said:
December 10, 2008 7:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

IRVING -- Until he wins a playoff game, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will continue to be asked about his relatively poor play in December and January over the past two seasons. On Wednesday, he cautioned reporters to give him a few years before deciding he couldn't win big games. He suggested that quarterbacks who've performed well in the regular-season (as he has) shouldn't have a problem winning in December and January. Here's what he told the New York media:
"Well, I have only two Decembers. This is my third one now. So I don't know if you can really have anything -- if I play about eight years and we stink in December every year, maybe we can talk about it.​
"But the first year you are just kind of running around with your head cut off, you don't really know what is going on. When you are playing you are just playing. And I think we went, what, 2-2 last year. But that is also different. I didn't even play but a half in that last game. So I would like to think I had a winning record a little bit except for last year. And we have only played one game [this season] against a good team on the road. So it is what it is. People talk and they come up with stats and a few different things. But the reality of it is if you are a good football team and you are playing games that everyone is playing in, yeah, you will win."​
Dallas Cowboys, Tony Romo, New York Giants
Read comments or leave a comment

Great job by Romo! You know what, I think most of us forget how inexperienced Romo still is.

I don't want to compare but P. Manning was always mentioned as a "Choke Artist" after not playing well at the beginning of his career. I remember when they said that he could not win the big one, dating back to college, after failing to win a National Championship. But, finally, he silenced his critics.

Same goes for younger brother, Eli. Eli, was 0-2 in playoffs before finally winning a title. Hey, I also recall last year when the Giants were 8-5 like us that everybody especially in NY thought Eli was overrated and that they made a mistake by not drafting Philip Rivers. Finally, Eli and the Giants got hot and he won a championship.

IMO, I think we all need to be a little more patient with Romo, including myself because I strongly believe once Romo starts winning he won't be stopped!

The Panch

Reaction score

Get a freaking clue.
Why dont you get a clue kiddo. Even if you included that dropped pass, he only completed half of his passes. I already said I blamed it more on having no T.O. than Romo, so quit your PMSing.

theebs;2480270 said:
I actually think this is the least appreciative fan base.

While taking care of my kids today I listened to the Ticket, espn 1033 and the new fan 105.3.

And the topic from all the hosts was how romo is not really that good, and every single caller on every station said he is not the guy and that if you put him on the foul line with 1 second left needing one point he would miss both shots.

They went on and on about how it is time for the GM to draft a real qb and how romo wasnt even drafted.

It was ticking me off so much I almost called this mike rodriguez guy on 105.3 He is blaming everything on romo and saying romo is what he is and he just doesnt have it.

This is one of the dumbest sports markets in the world. The fans here are spoiled, entitled and frankly Stupid.
They're just reacting in the heat of the moment like everyone else is.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2480276 said:
Great job by Romo! You know what, I think most of us forget how inexperienced Romo still is.

I don't want to compare but P. Manning was always mentioned that he was a "Choke Artist" after not playing well at the beginning of his career. I remember when they said that he could not win the big one, dating back to college, after failing to win a National Championship. But, finally, he silenced his critics.

Same goes for younger brother, Eli. Eli, was 0-2 in playoffs before finally winning a title. Hey, I also recall last year when the Giants were 8-5 like us that everybody especially in NY thought Eli was overrated and that they made a mistake by not drafting Philip Rivers. Finally, Eli and the Giants got hot and he one a championship.

IMO, I think we all need to be a little more patient with Romo, including myself because I strongly believe once Romo starts winning he won't be stopped!
It starts Sunday.