News: ESPN: NFL appealing Watson's six-game suspension

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree that he should be suspended for longer than 6 games. What I don't understand is why the song and dance of having an arbitrator make a decision only to over ride it. What a waste of time and resources. Why pay an arbitrator to do a job if you're going to dismiss what she says if you don't agree with it.

Anyway I felt as was BS on the league that Ben Roethlisberger got to play again when Ray Rice didn't. But I also feel Watson shouldn't play again or at minimum play this season. I just wish the league was consistent and had some form of logical decision making.
Why? His suspension is exactly what the rules call for, the rules laid out and agreed upon by the NFL/CBA.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is where fans of the teams struggle with the Public Perception. These segments which are outraged or out crying often drive the medias responses which could impact public opinion which correlates with tv networks concerns and ultimately sponsors responses.

The NFL wants to be out in front of these issues and not waiting to see what the public response will be if they take no action. Diehard fans like you and I aren’t a concern for them. It’s the fringe fans which is made up of mostly women and or casual fans.

And these outraged groups are well organized. They use the media and could ultimately use the legislative arms if action wasn’t taken which is the bigger concern from the league. Basically the league is taking a Proactive stance on these Personal Conduct issues. It’s all about Public Perception they are policing themselves.

We don’t necessarily have to agree with it to grasp why they are undertaking an unpopular stance amongst the core of Diehard fans.
I understand that.. did you see 20 people were offended at beyonce for using the word spaz in her Album she just released.. she is going to change the song and remove the word.....smh

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Tell me something. How come these rules and regulations don't apply to the owners as well. Cris Canty on espn brought this up. No one should be above the law, correct?
For the same reason a lot of rich people are not in jail.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is exactly why the Personal Conduct Policy was put in place because the league knew the owners wouldn’t police themselves.

And why they didn’t want to do it themselves because it wouldn’t be popular with their fanbase. So they bestowed the power on the Commissioner to do the dirty work .

Agree... but im not just talking bengals fans. Where was the outraged from the general public.....all those woman you are talking about? There was none.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Your exactly right. No franchise I’d fans want to discipline their own guys. This is exactly why the league has this policy in place because they know individual owners don’t want to police themselves.
My point was all those outraged fans never turn away. It doesn't matter what they do. People just like to say they are offended.. .as they rush to the TV on Sunday.

kskboys

Reaction score
Power bestowed to him by the owners. You’re missing the point. You come across as though Goodell is acting on his own behalf.
If Goody started going against what the owners want, that power would disappear faster than panties on prom night.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Tell me something. How come these rules and regulations don't apply to the owners as well. Cris Canty on espn brought this up. No one should be above the law, correct?
Do you think Snyder up in Washington should get away with his wrong doings? Just answer the question.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why? His suspension is exactly what the rules call for, the rules laid out and agreed upon by the NFL/CBA.
I don't agree with the duration, but what's the point of having a new system to work these matters out if the league is just going to do what they want?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And the arbitrator agreed that he violated the code of conduct and that 6 games should be the penalty. The only reason the NFL is appealing is because the public crying. It's BS
I've said for 30 years that people love the law, love the constitution until the justices use that constitution to render a decision that they don't like. If they like it, they praise the law or jury. If they don't like it, justice was not served.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't agree with the duration, but what's the point of having a new system to work these matters out if the league is just going to do what they want?
Agree 100%. They agreed to the system, but when they don't like the outcome(which, BTW, followed their own rules to a T), they want to renegotiate? What a bunch of sniveling cowards.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So does this prove that the league doesn't go out of their way to target Cowboys' players (Zeke)?
No, Zeke was targeted period. He did not have this procedure that they currently have. The judge would have just dismissed Zeke's case for lack of evidence!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The appeal by the NFL is simply childish. Really puts the NFL in a bad light, IMO, but they don't care as people are not going to stop watching.
But it doesn't put them in a bad light with the vast majority of the public who didn't follow this closely.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Agree 100%. They agreed to the system, but when they don't like the outcome(which, BTW, followed their own rules to a T), they want to renegotiate? What a bunch of sniveling cowards.
My complaint with the entire league is consistency. This just highlights the BS.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, Zeke was targeted period. He did not have this procedure that they currently have. The judge would have just dismissed Zeke's case for lack of evidence!
Yeah, but hasn't the league just proved that regardless, they will take action as they seem fit?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My point was all those outraged fans never turn away. It doesn't matter what they do. People just like to say they are offended.. .as they rush to the TV on Sunday.
I understand but apparently the league doesn’t want to risk what the potential damage could be without taking action. And not just to the fans but the Networks and their Sponsors.