News: ESPN: Packers to play Eagles in Brazil game in Week 1

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The game will be played in São Paulo, Brazil, on Friday, Sept. 6 -- one night after the traditional season opener involving the defending Super Bowl champions. It will be the first time since 1970 that the NFL has played a Friday night game in Week 1.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
September 7, Sao Paulo (AP) - Brazil closes all its airports indefinitely. Some visitors opt to leave the country by ship.

September 8, Sao Paulo (AP) - Large scale rescue attempts are underway to save hundreds of cruise liner passengers swimming in shark infested waters after the ships sanked simultaneously. Helicopter crews report seeing thousands of cheesehead caps and people yelling, "FLY EAGLES FLY!"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
At least we won’t need an app to watch it. :thumbup:

Motorola

Reaction score

The game will be played in São Paulo, Brazil, on Friday, Sept. 6 -- one night after the traditional season opener involving the defending Super Bowl champions. It will be the first time since 1970 that the NFL has played a Friday night game in Week 1.
Packers - one of the iconic franchises in league, a playoff team last season, plus - Green Bay's three colors in their traditional uniform are colors in the national flag of Brazil.

Motorola

Reaction score
Going out on a limb now -
During draft week, the league announces the Cowboys will be the Panthers' opponent in that International Series game in Hamburg, Germany.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Aren't they also doing a xmas day game this yesr as well? The NFL and Goodell can't let anyone else have a day I guess.

Motorola

Reaction score

At first I thought "I don't recall a Friday night NFL game back then" ---(middle-schooler in San Antonio)...then I did some research.

● 1970 season___first one after the NFL-AFL Merger; but the teams involved were longtime NFL teams (Cardinals & Rams )
● Then the second game of that historic season was played on the following Saturday- the opponents were original NFL teams (Bears and Giants).
● One of the first Sunday games during week 1 was the Chiefs at the Vikings - a rematch of the SB IV___the last of the "Super Bowls" that was played between the NFL and AFL Champions.
● Two of the three longstanding NFL franchises that moved over to the newly formed AFC - Steelers and Colts - played an original AFL franchise on the first Sunday of the season (Oilers and Chargers, respectively).
● Third team - the Browns... also played an inaugural AFL team...the Jets - in the first "Monday Night Football" game on ABC.
● First game for the Cowboys that season__ a 17-7 road win versus the Eagles-
-DAL rushed the ball 40 times for 198 yds, PHL 30 times for 104 yds.
-Staubach was 11 out of 15 for 115 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
-Calvin Hill___25 carries for 117 yds.
-Norm Snead was 10 out of 23 for 138 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT

Just reflecting on how very different the NFL was back then..but I enjoyed it...just like I still do today.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Brazil!?!
Well, at least there's a possibility that both teams will
never be allowed to leave that place. Wouldn't that be great. (somewhat sarcastic comment)

rags747

Reaction score
Free Speech be dammed! NFL does not care! They should pull this game Pronto if they had any Ballz! Ty…