ESPN Playoff generator

mmohican29

Reaction score
I messed around with it and picked with clear conscience.

I do think we win out.

Green Bay got in.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Is anyone else in the mindset of not counting our chickens...... We still need to win a game. Not afraid by any means but Colts, Bucs, Giants are not lay ups.

You're technically right, but the Cowboys are in the next time the Eagles and Commanders each lose a game. The Eagles still must play the Rams and Texans and the Commanders are just waiting for 2018 to end.

Winning one more game is not Dallas' only path to the playoffs. They can be an 8-8 division winner. It would look ugly, but it would still be good for the 4 seed.

mmohican29

Reaction score
After playing with the Playoff Simulator, it appears the only way we can get in as the #3 seed is to win out and the Bears lose 2 of their last 3. If the Bears finish 11-5 and we do as well, they own the tie-breaker.

It's slightly possible, as they travel to Green Bay this week and face the Vikings in Minnesota where the Vikings will most likely be fighting for their play off lives in that game.

More than likely, I see us as the #4 seed facing the Seahawks in the Wild Card Round.

Honestly, we might be better off as the 4 seed regardless.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I don't think so because if they used games already played then Chicago would win a tie breaker on conference record. That only becomes a tie if the Bears lose one more game. Maybe since they can't compute strength of victory after 3 weeks of play where I did not input anything else is the reason for the mess up? I'm going to try and fill in the other games and see what happens.

Nope it didn't work. I guess the model just can't go as far as strength of victory. That's my guess.

I'm talking about the formula strictly for common opponents it's possible that is what is flawed.

They never get to SoV because the tiebreaker used was common opponents. But they can do SoV because other scenarios show SoV as the tiebreaker. For the Bears/Cowboys, they plainly state that the Bears win tiebreak because of common opponents,.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm talking about the formula strictly for common opponents it's possible that is what is flawed.

They never get to SoV because the tiebreaker used was common opponents. But they can do SoV because other scenarios show SoV as the tiebreaker. For the Bears/Cowboys, they plainly state that the Bears win tiebreak because of common opponents,.

Yeah, you were suggesting they're just not adding the Tampa game that I fed the program. What I was saying is they wouldn't need to go to common games as a tie breaker if that were the case because Chicago has a conference record lead. Under tie breakers it would say Chicago has a better conf. record if none of my input was counted.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Like we lose our remaining 3 games. (bite my tongue) That opens up a lot of doors for other teams to move in.

The cowboys could lose their last 3 games and still win the divison and be the 4 seed. Unless the Commanders or eagles win out. Which is very very very very unlikely.

The cowboys could realistically finish 11-5 or finish 8-8-8 and get the same playoff seed.

That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the cowboys are resting starters in week 17 and giving themselves their own “bye” week.

Verdict

Reaction score
The cowboys could lose their last 3 games and still win the divison and be the 4 seed. Unless the Commanders or eagles win out. Which is very very very very unlikely.

The cowboys could realistically finish 11-5 or finish 8-8-8 and get the same playoff seed.

That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the cowboys are resting starters in week 17 and giving themselves their own “bye” week.

I was thinking the Commanders are already out no matter what. Am I mistaken.

Verdict

Reaction score
DAL goes 11-5 if you use win %
They go 9-7 if you use home team.
Either way they are a 4 seed and face SEA
off rank where DAL sucks still goes 4 seed and faces SEA at 8-8
Def rank makes it 11-5 DAL again 4 seed hosting SEA.

DAL is basically in beyond all but miracle status and it seems about 90% likely the face SEA.

Although nothing is set in stone, if you are a betting person you can bet it as if it has already happened.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I was thinking the Commanders are already out no matter what. Am I mistaken.

Technically if the cowboys lose out and the Commanders win out, they would win the division.

They are 2 games back, with 3 to go. So they would be 9-7. Dallas would be 8-8.

Obviously the chance or both those things happening is very very slim. And Dallas holds the tiebreaker over the skins.

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score

Maybe they lose this week against the Packers and all of a sudden, we are the favorite to get the 3rd seed since they will have to play @Vikes in the regular season finale and the Vikes are at risk of not making the playoffs, which might put a lot of significance to that game.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
You really want this defense having to chase Russell around? Not to mention their other RBs can run the ball pretty well.

I dunno. We have a LOT of speed on defense and we are REALLY good against the run. I like our chances.

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
I messed around with it and picked with clear conscience.

I do think we win out.

Green Bay got in.

I don't see how that is possible. There is a very small chance that they make the playoffs but lots of ifs to happen.

The Vikings have the breaker against the Packers on H2H win.

Vikings' (6-6-1) last three vs. Dolphins, @Lions, vs. Bears

Packers' (5-7-1) last three @Bears, @Jets, vs. Lions

Assuming that the Packers win out, the Vikings need to lose two of their last three games. How likely is that?

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't see us losing to either the Seahawks or any other 6th seed team whether we finish 3rd or 4th.

What concerns me more is the next round. I would love playing against the Rams in LA, where there will be a sea of Cowboys fans.

I am not sure yet about who will finish 1st in the conference. Both teams sit at 10-2, the Saints have the tiebreaker but they have three tough games while the Rams' schedule is way too easy.

If the Rams finish 1st, we, at 4th seed, are the likely opponent of them, barring a big upset in the other wild card game.

Matt

Reaction score
I disagre..
Struggling 6th seed would be beneficial to play in the wild card... there’s no hot team this year on a streak getting that wild card.. all the 6th seeds are pretty bad... and, 3rd most likely would miss a trip to New Orleans.. don’t think we’d do well with a pissed off saints team In NO

Honestly, we might be better off as the 4 seed regardless.[/QUO
Honestly, we might be better off as the 4 seed regardless.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Reading the comments on the generator several people have said there is an error in the formula. ESPN messed up somewhere along the way