ESPN: Police suspend investigation involving Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott, cite lack of witnesses

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't know all the details of that but I know the NFL attempted to get more information and the local chief of police wouldn't cooperate. Once more information was released he was cut by the Giants.

I also know the DV incident originally in question was the slightly red wrist that she had from him trying to prevent her from picking up the phone and call the police which he admitted to. No charges filed.

After the chief of police coopersted and the NFL concluded their investigation it turns out he is a POS and admitted he has problems.

That's about all I know with regard to that. What else?
How about the fact there was 27 seperate complaints for DV filed with the police, and he still only got one game. Meanwhile, Elliott is still under investigation for 2, one of which she is an admitted liar, and looking to "ruin his career". I mean you can call me a conspiracy theorist all you want, but 27 seperate counts of DV and he gets one game? The reason for Elliotts long investigation is because of how they botched the Josh Brown situation, and low and behold, our investigator is a Giants nut. lol You cant just sit there and think this is all ok and there isnt something else going on.

aria

Reaction score
How about the fact there was 27 seperate complaints for DV filed with the police, and he still only got one game. Meanwhile, Elliott is still under investigation for 2, one of which she is an admitted liar, and looking to "ruin his career". I mean you can call me a conspiracy theorist all you want, but 27 seperate counts of DV and he gets one game? The reason for Elliotts long investigation is because of how they botched the Josh Brown situation, and low and behold, our investigator is a Giants nut. lol You cant just sit there and think this is all ok and there isnt something else going on.
I've already said I completely agree that this investigation is taking way too long but I've also said perhaps they have found more on Zeke then what we publicly know. Perhaps they may have cleared him of the DV charges but not of "conduct detrimental to the league" in relation to his other off the field "incidents". We just don't know all the details yet. I was actually optimistic that if all they had on him (DV related) was what we know then there wouldn't be a suspension. After the club incident, I find it unlikely he gets away without some sort of suspension. The guy skated on thin ice in college and he's been doing it since day 1 in the NFL.

I'm sure you're right about the NFL taking it's time with Zeke because of the botched Brown case. They also look into DV more then they ever have starting with Ray Rice.

Out of curiosity, when did the NFL find out about the 27 accusations of DV? Before or after the one game suspension? I was under the impression he was suspended one game for the wrist thing which is all they knew about at the time.

I could be mistaken but if they didn't find out about all the DV claims until after the suspension, and that's also when the Giants cut him, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a longer suspension if he ever comes back to the league. Then again, maybe not, I think he went or is going to counseling/rehab so maybe that will be enough.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I've already said I completely agree that this investigation is taking way too long but I've also said perhaps they have found more on Zeke then what we publicly know. Perhaps they may have cleared him of the DV charges but not of "conduct detrimental to the league" in relation to his other off the field "incidents". We just don't know all the details yet. I was actually optimistic that if all they had on him (DV related) was what we know then there wouldn't be a suspension. After the club incident, I find it unlikely he gets away without some sort of suspension. The guy skated on thin ice in college and he's been doing it since day 1 in the NFL.

I'm sure you're right about the NFL taking it's time with Zeke because of the botched Brown case. They also look into DV more then they ever have starting with Ray Rice.

Out of curiosity, when did the NFL find out about the 27 accusations of DV? Before or after the one game suspension? I was under the impression he was suspended one game for the wrist thing which is all they knew about at the time.

I could be mistaken but if they didn't find out about all the DV claims until after the suspension, and that's also when the Giants cut him, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a longer suspension if he ever comes back to the league. Then again, maybe not, I think he went or is going to counseling/rehab so maybe that will be enough.
No. The 27 counts was all over the media before he received the 1 game suspension. This is the point I am trying to make. This was all information that was public and they could have looked at, the poor woman complained numerous times. Yet, he gets one game? Tell me how Mara doesnt have influence again. Please. LOL. Why should Elliott have to pay for the sins of that loser when he didnt even do anything? Personally i dont see the league suspending Elliott because of the simple fact he generates revenue. You dont suspend one of the most recognizable faces of your biggest franchise with no grounds. There better be mountains of evidence if they want to take that leap.

aria

Reaction score
I won't go into the whole Mara vs Jones thing in detail again but people can and do point the finger at us for the entire Blandino party bus incident and calls (specifically Detroit) going in our favor. Opposing fans make a valid point that the NFL WANTS the Cowboys to win because of the revenue and ratings it brings in which you admit yourself above. It's not just Zeke who is paying for the sins of Brown but all NFL players. BTW, you can add Ray Rice and Hardy to that list, not just Brown.

There's no doubt the NFL botched the Brown case but every situation is different and to say Mara has pull over Goodell because of this one incident is a long stretch IMO. If that was the case then refer to my post from last night when I talked about the Giants scheduling issues my buddy was complaining about. Ray Rice had a video, Hardy was found guilty by a judge, appealed for a jury and the suspect "disappeared". The Giants and the NFL were aware of some DV issues and conducted a 10 (TEN) month investigation on Brown and the police didn't release critical information until after they denied the NFL access to that info and the NFL closed it's case. Why would the NFL take 10 months investigating? If Mara had that much pull wouldn't it have taken much less time or was that all part of the scheme?

Just look at all of these cases and how the NFL has handled them, it's a joke. Some were before the nw DV policy and some weren't. Either way, it shows inconsistency amongst all teams and players. One guy was suspended for 4 games and then they were dropped with no explanation. Heck, Josh Brent KILLED someone and gets to come back and play for the Cowboys. Where was the outrage here when that happened? Was Jerry pulling something with Goodell? Some get off easy, some don't. Is Mara pulling the strings for all of them as well? Please just stop.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/09/us/nfl-players-domestic-violence-accusations/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/sports/football/giants-josh-brown-abuse-nfl.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nfl-punish...mestic-violence-goodell-era/story?id=25534452

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/nf...layers-have-domestic-violence-arrests-n204831

diefree666

Reaction score
As I've said, a lot of players want to play for "Americas Team" because of the exposure. With the exposure comes the good and the bad. No one is complaining that we usually get more prime time games even when we're not that good. No one is complaining how good of a job Jerry has done with marketing the team. No one is complaining that we have one of the largest fan bases in the world. No one is complaining that the media, Jerry and a lot of fans are constantly putting us in the SB conversation even when we were just average.

When a starting running back for Cleveland clocks someone the media doesn't care nor do most fans in the NFL, they're irrelevant. When a Dallas Cowboy clocks someone (allegedly) in a bar you're dang right that's going to make headlines, just like we also make headlines for all the reasons I mentioned above. Good or bad, the Cowboys draw attention and ratings. You can't have it both ways.

Hardy is trash and no other team was looking at him other then Miami? I can't remember what the other team was. Regardless, Jerry has a long list of hiring troubled players for a "discount" and I believe he does it not just for the "discount" but for the attention. He eats it up plus it draws more people to watch the games whether they hate or love the Cowboys. He got partly what he wanted by hiring Hardy, attention.

Don't forget Hardy was also different from others with the way everything went down and the victim "disappearing" after he was initially found guilty by a judge.

Dez smeared his own reputation and had help from his mom.

We all now know Brown was a POS but I honestly don't know how much information the NFL had on him prior to him admitting what he did. I know the NFL was investigating him and the chief of police where the charges were filed wouldn't release crucial information until later in the investigation. I'll say this, I at least give credit to the Giants for cutting him. I doubt Jerry would cut a pro bowl type kicker, no matter what he did, if he was only suspended for one game. IMOF, if Bailey wasn't such a stud I could easily see Jerry picking up Brown for a discount and no one here would have any problems with it.

I won't argue there is a double standard with regards to the attention they get which I already addressed but that double standard works both ways. I also completely agree with you on the coaching. Again, the Cowboys will always be in the spotlight for better or worse, good or bad, SB caliber team or only 4 wins...that's what they are.

just one example of you carefully picking your 'facts'
Hardy was found guilty by a judge notorious for only believing the woman's side of a case.

aria

Reaction score
just one example of you carefully picking your 'facts'
Hardy was found guilty by a judge notorious for only believing the woman's side of a case.
I'm not picking anything, I'm stating a fact and what I know. You, on the other hand, are much more subjective and refuse to look at anything Cowboys related in a negative or even light. They can do no wrong in your eyes.

diefree666

Reaction score
I'm not picking anything, I'm stating a fact and what I know. You, on the other hand, are much more subjective and refuse to look at anything Cowboys related in a negative or even light. They can do no wrong in your eyes.
wow you really are oblivious to reality. I have been on Jerry's case from day one and on Red Ball pretty much as well. But then you do appear to live in your own world. I caught you out and now you whine.

aria

Reaction score
wow you really are oblivious to reality. I have been on Jerry's case from day one and on Red Ball pretty much as well. But then you do appear to live in your own world. I caught you out and now you whine.
Lol, caught me? I think I'm pretty blunt and black and white but whatever you "caught" me doing, congratulations?

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Haha...I've taken a gander at all other NFCE boards but we're the most entertaining by far. Although I haven't been in a long while I know the Giants have a specific trash talking thread and I think there is (or was) one Cowboy fan that's been there awhile and continuously gets them riled up, it's hilarious. We should all go over some time. Don't even have to "troll", can go right to the trash talk forum and do just that.
I`m afraid if mass Cowboy fans descended on the Giants website, it would crash. Have you seen it? It`s design has an anolog feel to it. Reminds me of the old and outdated yahoo chat rooms.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
I`m afraid if mass Cowboy fans descended on the Giants website, it would crash. Have you seen it? It`s design has an anolog feel to it. Reminds me of the old and outdated yahoo chat rooms.

True, Cowboy boards are far more active and user friendly. Other fan boards pretty much all suck. Ive looked at nearly every other nfl team over the years and we really do have alot more active fans. This board in paticular is ran very well. The scout message boards are all ok, but not up to snuff here.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
When a Dallas Cowboy clocks someone (allegedly) in a bar you're dang right that's going to make headlines, just like we also make headlines for all the reasons I mentioned above. Good or bad, the Cowboys draw attention and ratings. You can't have it both ways.

If you're supposedly a responsible and professional sports journalist and the company you work for is supposedly a responsible and professional sports journalism media entity...there's a double standard when you plaster a fight that allegedly happen and struggle to make a mere mention of somebody who was actually arrested for something.

Just like it's a double standard to claim that there is a 'tape 10 times worse than the Ray Rice tape' for Dez and there is nothing to be found, but that same media entity issues an apology and retraction to the Patriots for allegedly cheating in the 2001 Super Bowl against the Rams (which even Matt Walsh later stated that they did see some of the plays from the Rams practice and reported them to the coaching staff).

"Having it both ways" when it comes to attention is a bit of a moot point. It would be like saying that celebrities and their popularity should be followed around everywhere they go because 'it comes with the territory.' The fact is that it doesn't come with the territory. Attention is one thing...outright lying, not checking your sources is another thing. And being unafraid to apologize to the Patriots while never retracting a very harmful story that had no merit or validity points to a massive double standard that goes beyond the fame of the Cowboys because the Patriots are more recognizable than Dez Bryant.

Don't forget Hardy was also different from others with the way everything went down and the victim "disappearing" after he was initially found guilty by a judge.

And don't forget that Hardy's arrest and conviction was expunged from his record because the newest DA said that he didn't feel comfortable with bringing the case to trial in large part due to the plaintiff's contradictory testimony to what she told police at the scene and what evidence the police had (like her fleeing from the cops when they showed up).

The response to this was that Hardy must've paid off his ex-gf and not mentioning the fact that she may have disappeared in fear of having to answer for those contradictions and thus potentially perjuring herself.

Nobody complained that much about the Bears signing Ray McDonald (hell, he didn't even get a suspension) or Aldon Smith signing with the Raiders after the crime sprees he had been on. Nobody questioned the Niners who employed both McDonald and Smith and are one of the most popular teams in the NFL. Nope, just business as usual until the Cowboys signed Hardy and then all hell broke loose even though Hardy called 911 on his ex-gf and his ex-gf admitted to being drunk and high on coke at the time and she fled the police and was also begging Hardy to hang up on 911 because she didn't want to go to jail. But hey, she's a woman and he's a player that could have potentially helped the Cowboys...so let's convict the guy and condemn him from society.

Something tells me if Hardy signed with the Eagles he would be 'misunderstood' and there would be 'more to the story than meets the eye' coming from the media.

And that something is that is what the media did with Mike Vick when he signed with the Eagles as he 'served his time' and the media even stood up for him when Vick WANTED TO GET DOGS AS PETS.

We all now know Brown was a POS but I honestly don't know how much information the NFL had on him prior to him admitting what he did. I know the NFL was investigating him and the chief of police where the charges were filed wouldn't release crucial information until later in the investigation.

I have a hard time taking the NFL's word on things when I had heard, from a decent source, that there was a tape of Ray Rice knocking out his fiance and dragging her out of the elevator and it being as brutal as it was later revealed to be. Yet, Goodell and company somehow had no knowledge of this video and had no way of obtaining the video (despite the AC police saying that was a flat out lie).

The Giants knew about Brown and the NFL knew what was going on. If Brown was a Cowboy, he wouldn't get a 1-game suspension.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Better than a poke in the eye I guess but hate having this hanging over him. Suspended is not the same as dismissing it

aria

Reaction score
If you're supposedly a responsible and professional sports journalist and the company you work for is supposedly a responsible and professional sports journalism media entity...there's a double standard when you plaster a fight that allegedly happen and struggle to make a mere mention of somebody who was actually arrested for something.

Just like it's a double standard to claim that there is a 'tape 10 times worse than the Ray Rice tape' for Dez and there is nothing to be found, but that same media entity issues an apology and retraction to the Patriots for allegedly cheating in the 2001 Super Bowl against the Rams (which even Matt Walsh later stated that they did see some of the plays from the Rams practice and reported them to the coaching staff).

"Having it both ways" when it comes to attention is a bit of a moot point. It would be like saying that celebrities and their popularity should be followed around everywhere they go because 'it comes with the territory.' The fact is that it doesn't come with the territory. Attention is one thing...outright lying, not checking your sources is another thing. And being unafraid to apologize to the Patriots while never retracting a very harmful story that had no merit or validity points to a massive double standard that goes beyond the fame of the Cowboys because the Patriots are more recognizable than Dez Bryant.

And don't forget that Hardy's arrest and conviction was expunged from his record because the newest DA said that he didn't feel comfortable with bringing the case to trial in large part due to the plaintiff's contradictory testimony to what she told police at the scene and what evidence the police had (like her fleeing from the cops when they showed up).

The response to this was that Hardy must've paid off his ex-gf and not mentioning the fact that she may have disappeared in fear of having to answer for those contradictions and thus potentially perjuring herself.

Nobody complained that much about the Bears signing Ray McDonald (hell, he didn't even get a suspension) or Aldon Smith signing with the Raiders after the crime sprees he had been on. Nobody questioned the Niners who employed both McDonald and Smith and are one of the most popular teams in the NFL. Nope, just business as usual until the Cowboys signed Hardy and then all hell broke loose even though Hardy called 911 on his ex-gf and his ex-gf admitted to being drunk and high on coke at the time and she fled the police and was also begging Hardy to hang up on 911 because she didn't want to go to jail. But hey, she's a woman and he's a player that could have potentially helped the Cowboys...so let's convict the guy and condemn him from society.

Something tells me if Hardy signed with the Eagles he would be 'misunderstood' and there would be 'more to the story than meets the eye' coming from the media.

And that something is that is what the media did with Mike Vick when he signed with the Eagles as he 'served his time' and the media even stood up for him when Vick WANTED TO GET DOGS AS PETS.

I have a hard time taking the NFL's word on things when I had heard, from a decent source, that there was a tape of Ray Rice knocking out his fiance and dragging her out of the elevator and it being as brutal as it was later revealed to be. Yet, Goodell and company somehow had no knowledge of this video and had no way of obtaining the video (despite the AC police saying that was a flat out lie).

The Giants knew about Brown and the NFL knew what was going on. If Brown was a Cowboy, he wouldn't get a 1-game suspension.

YR
Very nice post! The media thing, I don't know what to tell you. The media sucks which is why I don't watch the news and stay away from ESPN as much as possible. I understand what you're saying about the Patriots and also agree they should be held more accountable but the fact remains the Cowboys will get more attention good or bad and no one complains when we're the talk of television and radio sports shows unless it's negative.

I still disagree with "comes with the territory". Outright lying? Absolutely not but the general attention that comes with being a Cowboy is different than most other teams and that's why a lot of players want to come here, more exposure. As a Cowboy, they'll get more tv time, more prime time games, more articles, more ATTENTION but they also will be living under a microscope so they better mind their manners more than other players. Is it fair? Never said it was but with the positives come the negatives. Out of all teams that hire people with character issues the Cowboys should be the last, not in the running for first.

You can defend Hardy by the law all you want but you'll never convince me he wasn't guilty. The dude hit a clipboard out of a COACHES hand for crying out loud and had constant rages on the sideline, got busted with coke, etc. If he's doing that on national tv then it's not a stretch of the imagination to think of whathe would do to his gf. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that and I strongly disagree it wouldn't be as big of a deal if he went to the Eagles or any kther team.

From my understanding, the Giants knew Brown had some sort of history of domestic violence and had grabbed his wife's wrist. They also knew he was in treatment for his issues. None of the "bigger" issues (ie his journal) were released to the NFL nor the Giants until after the one game suspension at which time the Giants fired him. From what I know, he sounds like a psychopath but I don't think he was ever formally found guilty of anything in the court of law. Based on that logic, according to some posters here he shouldn't have even received a one game suspension.

I truly appreciate your posts man, one of the few I enjoy disagreeing with :)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Maybe one of the Zeke crew had a talk with him... :eek:
Ya know..

At the time it didn't seem important..

but right after he was drafted I remember reading that his father had arrived..

something about protecting Zeke and watching over him.

At the time I just thought he was in Dallas to help him et settled.

Seems it was about more than that.

I'm sure somebody here can research it if needed.

Point is..

where there is smoke there is fire..

no pun intended.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Haha...I've taken a gander at all other NFCE boards but we're the most entertaining by far. Although I haven't been in a long while I know the Giants have a specific trash talking thread and I think there is (or was) one Cowboy fan that's been there awhile and continuously gets them riled up, it's hilarious. We should all go over some time. Don't even have to "troll", can go right to the trash talk forum and do just that.
Agreed!! Great post.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I'm saying the same thing I always have, the Cowboys aren't targeted more than anyone else and people can point the finger at us too for "suspicious" actions so let's not be hypocrites, it sounds whiney and like we're always making excuses.
Absolutely. Targeted!!?? The club has won 5 SB's. Ask the dreaded Eagles about that kind of business. The Cowboys have, simply, had far too much success to be considered targeted. Did ole Jerry make some enemies with his business tactics? Certainly, did the NFL conspire against him...probably not. Jones has fornicated himself for more than 20 yrs.