ESPN Reporter Britt McHenry Suspended After Foul-Mouthed Rant

JDSmith

Reaction score
Interesting that the Arlington News responded to a tweet of hers that said she got towed after eating dinner (that has been deleted) Easter Sunday night, asking where she was parked and what happened.
They must have Marty McFly's DeLorean. She responded the next morning. Arlington News also told her that the same thing happened to another newswoman. I guess she was whoring around too. Along with the other people who responded about how corrupt and immoral this towing company is.

Her response doesn't say she was towed on a Sunday night, it says she ate dinner on a Sunday night. Is 3 am still Sunday night if you ate dinner in a restaurant at 6 pm? She doesn't say when it was towed, merely that it was towed from the lot of the place she ate dinner, so it's entirely possible that she left it in the lot overnight after eating dinner. I'm guessing she lied about that part because she wanted to garner some sympathy, but since I only heard of her a result of this I'm basing that assumption entirely on the fact that she appears to be both vile and phony - both things that have been demonstrated in this thread.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
you'd think by now people would quit doing it. we see a tidbit, hear a phrase, see a fraction of a video and wa-la, we know the whole story.

now i've been on the internet since it's free roaming days where you didn't have pretty graphics and your only website editor to depend on was notepad. however, the same faults existed long before, but just harder to spot. this fault?

instant judgement.

we see something, we're told how it should make us feel, so we feel that way, and are off and running on it. it's human nature and not sure why it can take such a "revelation" to say "hey, i'll sit back and learn more about this first" instead of "THAT BCH!!!" and making everything fit the scenario laid out to start.

i've only had my car towed once. it was my own damn fault for parking where i later did in fact read NO PARKING OR YOU'LL BE TOWED. i paid the bill at 3am and got my truck. (yes, i was out clubbin seeing live bands in my younger days) and drove my date home. however, one of my best friends got an older pathfinder to go to colorado with once a year and do the loop. this has left his other car lost and alone in the apartment complex parking lot. yes it did sit for awhile but yes, he went out and started it, cleaned it off, and it never really showed to be abandoned at any time. he came out one day and it was gone. he called the police and reported it stolen. eventually it was found at a towing impound lot because they towing company said the complex put a note on the car a week ago but nothing ever was.

so who's responsible? you? the towing company? subway? (yes i've read other threads!) and if that was your car that was towed from your own place of residence and you had to pay $150 or whatever to get it back, how mad would you be and what would you say? esp if provoked?

now no idea if this happened here or not but it doesn't matter. i'm not going to take 1 towing companies word for the entire story. yes from what i have seen she was acting the spoiled brat. yes she said some mean things. but we don't know what happened before that, do we?

if you still think it's ok to judge off so little information, let me give you 2 names and see if you remember the event that so many were up in arms about.

michael irvin and erik williams.

did you get furious at these 2 when you heard the news? did you feel like a moron when you learned the truth? you'd think life would teach people to stop but they rage on in the need to judge and move on.

i don't think she should lose her job and i don't think ESPN really has any right to punish her either. if i go out and get into a word fight with someone no one will give a damn much less have it cost me my job potentially. if you really want to see justice so badly, be patient and learn the whole story.

things look so different when you do that with an open mind.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Now don't take this wrong as I find what the woman said to be pretty stupid.

But fire her? I don't think so.

I don't believe ESPN has any right to fire her, or suspend her to be quite honest, for something she said to people in her personal time.

Was she on the clock for ESPN doing a story? Maybe I missed something here but it would appear to me she was getting her own personal vehicle out of there, on her own time, which means ESPN does not, nor should they, have anything to say or feel about what she says to someone.

She's an employee, so on or off the clock, right or wrong, her behavior reflects on her employer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the unedited video had been released. My only curiosity covers what did the window attendant do or did not do to get berated. As McHenry entered the front door, did the attendant say, "It's [insert amount] to get your vehicle released" before McHenry opened her mouth. I can see how that would irritate someone. That would be discourteous. Maybe the attendant said, "We don't accept personal checks." I have witnessed that statement annoy people in all sorts of situations. Perhaps McHenry questioned why her vehicle was towed and the attendant frigidly remarked, "We towed your car because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time." Certainly, that would be a contentious reply.

Who knows what was said? Only McHenry, persons or persons in the work area with McHenry, the window attendant and the towing company personnel who reviewed the video know what was said. Still, the complete video would allow viewers to see and hear why someone, who did not tow McHenry's vehicle, got cussed out, while person or persons who did the actual towing were spared from her wrath. Personally, I think it is only fair for someone actually guilty of doing something wrong should be punished and not someone perceived as being guilty by association.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I wish the unedited video had been released. My only curiosity covers what did the window attendant do or did not do to get berated. As McHenry entered the front door, did the attendant say, "It's [insert amount] to get your vehicle released" before McHenry opened her mouth. I can see how that would irritate someone. That would be discourteous. Maybe the attendant said, "We don't accept personal checks." I have witnessed that statement annoy people in all sorts of situations. Perhaps McHenry questioned why her vehicle was towed and the attendant frigidly remarked, "We towed your car because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time." Certainly, that would be a contentious reply.

Who knows what was said? Only McHenry, persons or persons in the work area with McHenry, the window attendant and the towing company personnel who reviewed the video know what was said. Still, the complete video would allow viewers to see and hear why someone, who did not tow McHenry's vehicle, got cussed out, while person or persons who did the actual towing were spared from her wrath. Personally, I think it is only fair for someone actually guilty of doing something wrong should be punished and not someone perceived as being guilty by association.

anytime i see an "edited" video i dismiss it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
anytime i see an "edited" video i dismiss it.
Edited videos automatically diminish the capability for judging what actually happened in any given situation. Then again, they don't entirely conceal all details either. In this instance, McHenry was pissed. The victim of her justified or unjustified anger wasn't the person who towed her vehicle. It wasn't the owner of the predatory towing company. It wasn't the person who may have reported her vehicle to the tow company. It was the woman behind the glass. I will never know but it does not stop me from wondering why people don't go postal on folks who actually did something to them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Edited videos automatically diminish the capability for judging what actually happened in any given situation. Then again, they don't entirely conceal all details either. In this instance, McHenry was pissed. The victim of her justified or unjustified anger wasn't the person who towed her vehicle. It wasn't the owner of the predatory towing company. It wasn't the person who may have reported her vehicle to the tow company. It was the woman behind the glass. I will never know but it does not stop me from wondering why people don't go postal on folks who actually did something to them.

"kill the messenger" has been around a lot longer than upset prom queens. i just think if you edit the video you do it for a reason, most are not good, or designed to illustrate a point or say something that may not come across as "strong" if you know the whole story.

i'm not defending the prom queen. if that were me i'd likely be exchanging enough insults with her to make her break down and cry and become as sensitive as a runway model with 1 extra pound they carry around. however, just because you can put something on camera, why? again, i don't want my life being judged off 30 seconds. i don't think anyone would. but it's a fad these days and suddenly we intimately know someone off a video someone shot off their phone.

more to life than 30 second clips. the fact this is even news is more of a shock than the actual event.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
more to life than 30 second clips. the fact this is even news is more of a shock than the actual event.
I pray no one insults their intelligence and label it as genuine news. It was a hissy fit caught on camera, albeit a cut up hissy fit. It's tabloid fodder at best. Of course, these sorts of events never stop "reputable" news agencies from running them under the pretense of relevant validity. :p

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I pray no one insults their intelligence and label it as genuine news. It was a hissy fit caught on camera, albeit a cut up hissy fit. It's tabloid fodder at best. Of course, these sorts of events never stop "reputable" news agencies from running them under the pretense of relevant validity. :p

yea, but define tabloid fodder today vs. what it was when newspapers were still .50¢ and actually reported news. back then we laughed at the inquirer and dubbed the readers conspiracy theorists. today, people thrive off of that and "journalism" doesn't care about right or wrong anymore, just hits. put this up, you're tabloid trash, not a news site. even traditional news sites are littered with editorials on how i should feel and why this or that is news. hit another site you get a different spin but it's funny, compare the 2 and they both tell for the most part different news all together, or at least different spins.

people go gaga over things like this and wanna show that so and so what's what and never even have to really understand the situation. mob mentalities were bad in the wild wild west and they still are. but right now, the mob rules. talk out against them, your sexist, racist, or other words that end in "ist". sucks.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Her response doesn't say she was towed on a Sunday night, it says she ate dinner on a Sunday night. Is 3 am still Sunday night if you ate dinner in a restaurant at 6 pm? She doesn't say when it was towed, merely that it was towed from the lot of the place she ate dinner, so it's entirely possible that she left it in the lot overnight after eating dinner. I'm guessing she lied about that part because she wanted to garner some sympathy, but since I only heard of her a result of this I'm basing that assumption entirely on the fact that she appears to be both vile and phony - both things that have been demonstrated in this thread.

What are you babbling about? The date shows that she knew it was towed that night. The tow truck took it before closing. They claim she left it there in the parking lot past closing so they towed it. Of course she couldn't pick it up until morning once they towed it.

rynochop

Reaction score
The woman she was chewing out was probably the tow drivers wife.
Beingin auto insurance i deal with with these places daily. Most are really small operations and everyone is related..kids, wives, siblings. Im not saging they all are scum, but they are notch below used car salesmen.

Passepartout

Reaction score
It is not easy facing the public. Having worked ten years in customer service. As really you think it is easy to face customers.It is not at all. You get ridicule and humiliated from rude customers. But you just have to take it. In order to win back them coming back again.

Really hope that Britt will live and learn. Do not know what happened as only she and the tow truck person know. Though it was on video but edited.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
She's still hot. That's all that really matters here, right? :p

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
What are you babbling about? The date shows that she knew it was towed that night. The tow truck took it before closing. They claim she left it there in the parking lot past closing so they towed it. Of course she couldn't pick it up until morning once they towed it.

If this is true then it's messed up... Again.... What is real story? I need to know lol

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If this is true then it's messed up... Again.... What is real story? I need to know lol

With the edited tape and the reputation of this place it is easy to see what happened. The tow truck company is poorly regulated in that state/city and they take advantage of that fact and then lie through their teeth about when they picked the vehicle up. I'm thinking the people who come in to get their vehicles and pay the extortion money are pretty upset when they come in so the employees are pretty defensive or harsh knowing what is coming. So I am positive there was some accusations about criminal activity and some mouthing back by this employee that has conveniently been removed and it escalated from there. Stuff happens.

This espn girl could very well be a not so nice person. But nobody should be judged by 5 minutes of being upset and especially when they feel they have been taken advantage of.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that she wasn't provoked in some way. The video that I saw was cut/edited to her responses, and starts off visceral... Who knows what was said before she started going off.

Still, not really an excuse.
I'm not excusing her behavior, but...
She WAS provoked...for sure.

That company has a long history of this stuff.
They are a predatory towing company who has a terrible reputation of towing when someone is even legally parked, or towing when they weren't asked to by a biz owner, etc.
Then they have rep for verbally assaulting the customers if they say anything about how they got towed.

Again, not saying her juvenile tirade was acceptable, but there's more to the story than some edited video put out by the tow company. Why did they do that by the way? Scum

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
With the edited tape and the reputation of this place it is easy to see what happened. The tow truck company is poorly regulated in that state/city and they take advantage of that fact and then lie through their teeth about when they picked the vehicle up. I'm thinking the people who come in to get their vehicles and pay the extortion money are pretty upset when they come in so the employees are pretty defensive or harsh knowing what is coming. So I am positive there was some accusations about criminal activity and some mouthing back by this employee that has conveniently been removed and it escalated from there. Stuff happens.

This espn girl could very well be a not so nice person. But nobody should be judged by 5 minutes of being upset and especially when they feel they have been taken advantage of.

Well here's the thing. If it is like you say.., that would explain the woman being so calm and saying you are on video.

Again, no mercy in that situation. I am on Britts side, no one likes to be taken.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question for thread readers: Would you have stopped your tirade at the moment the window attendant said you were on camera?

I would have. I am very wary of any video ending up on the internet, reality shows, etc., casting me in a negative light.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Question for thread readers: Would you have stopped your tirade at the moment the window attendant said you were on camera?

I would have. I am very wary of any video ending up on the internet, reality shows, etc., casting me in a negative light.

Not if I was scammed!