Recommended ESPN: Sources: Dallas' Irving faces possible suspension

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Are you for real? Cry me a river. People are doing dangers jobs all over and you think for a second I feel bad about them making the money they do playing a game? There isnt a player on that field that doesnt understand the dangers of playing football. Just like a police office knows they could get shot and killed or a firefighter knows he could die trying to saves lives or a soldier knows he could be sent to war and die. You have clean up crews working a Nuclear sites getting paid good money because of the dangers.

How about we keep it with sports? A Nascar driver could crash and be killed or injured - Boxers take massive blows to the head and suffer brain damage or die - soccer players suffer concussion all the time ...etc So your right I dont feel for them because they choose that career path and you wont hear a peep out of me when they get CTE. The NFL needs to have every player sign a wavier when entering the draft that they know the dangers of playing in the NFL. I'm so tired of hearing about this. Play or dont play. Its your freedom and choice. But dont act like you dont know the dangers of playing the game anymore than a police office doesnt know every time they pull a car over they are putting their life on the line. I obviously don't wish anything ill will on anyone. But at the same time this concussion in the NFL is so over blown compared to other sports.
How many more victims of CTE do you have to witness in order for you to think it’s not overblown? Junior Seau and Chris Henry wasn’t enough?

And I sympathize with all people who risk their lives everyday. They aren’t valued enough in this society as proof by your post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think he was part of the plan going forward anyways and was not counting on him to be extended.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many more victims of CTE do you have to witness in order for you to think it’s not overblown? Junior Seau and Chris Henry wasn’t enough?

And I sympathize with all people who risk their lives everyday. They aren’t valued enough in this society as proof by your post.

Players know this and they choose to play. It is not as if someone is putting a gun to their head saying they must play this game. Just about everyone in the NFL went to college and was given an opportunity to have a college education and to pursue other avenues in life but they want to play football. Of course I don't want to see anyone get hurt but it is a choice they make.

aria

Reaction score
Average life expectancy of a retired firefighter is what 8 years?
Not much, just had a complete physical at work and not only is cancer now the leading cause of deaths (no surprise) but FF’s are something like 1-200% (maybe even more) to get cancer than the average person.

It does seem like a lot I know retire and due shortly after. Ironically, I just found out my first captain passed away from heart related issues, he was 62. A driver I work with is a year away from retirement and found out he has stage 4 cancer.

Based on the crap I used to inhale (not ralking about weed either, haha) without an SCBA I’m pretty sure cancer or an MI will get me a relatively early age.

Reactions: CWR

aria

Reaction score
They don’t knowingly know they can potentially get CTE. Most of them don’t even know what it is. It’s the perks of getting these guys when they are 22-24 years old. Still young men just a few years removed from high school.
C’mon, pretty much everyone is aware of CTE now, even high schoolers. I’d put good money that 99% of professional football players know what it is and the risks involved. Hell, there’s law suits over it, players union talks about it, former NFL players donating their brains for research because of it, deadly and psychotic incidents blamed on it (Cognito, Hernandez). There’s no way most players are ignorant of CTE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Players know this and they choose to play. It is not as if someone is putting a gun to their head saying they must play this game. Just about everyone in the NFL went to college and was given an opportunity to have a college education and to pursue other avenues in life but they want to play football. Of course I don't want to see anyone get hurt but it is a choice they make.
How can y’all sit here and say they know the outcome when the owners themselves won’t even admit there’s a issue?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
C’mon, pretty much everyone is aware of CTE now, even high schoolers. I’d put good money that 99% of professional football players know what it is and the risks involved. Hell, there’s law suits over it, players union talks about it, former NFL players donating their brains for research because of it, deadly and psychotic incidents blamed on it (Cognito, Hernandez). There’s no way most players are ignorant of CTE.
They don’t. These players can’t tell you what CTE is. Most believe “oh it won’t happen to me”...and it may not. Some clearly do. When guys retire at 25? They clearly have that understanding......Kyler Murray just chose football over baseball....

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I can’t imagine Irving Gregory and Rolando not hanging out at this point. 3 young fellas with more than 300k in there pockets screams montage. Everyone needs a montage

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How can y’all sit here and say they know the outcome when the owners themselves won’t even admit there’s a issue?

Owners have been sued, they have now put rules in place to try to lessen injuries. Players know damn well the risk of playing, where have you been. This is no secrete

that is like saying did you hear smoking could be dangerous to your health?

CWR

Reaction score
Toll on your body? I’m talking about the brain. I’m not talking about a job that can potentially break your thumb or pinky. You tell me what job you have where you risk your brain every week and I’ll agree with you.....

Potentially? I potentially risk everything every shift. Also without a pay raise in a decade, plus I can pass a piss test. Im sorry he wont get much sympathy from me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Owners have been sued, they have now put rules in place to try to lessen injuries. Players know damn well the risk of playing, where have you been. This is no secrete

that is like saying did you hear smoking could be dangerous to your health?
They put rules in place to protect their money so they won’t be sued lol.

I’m guessing you missed all of the articles of players, coaches and ex players saying the studies are “biased”?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Potentially? I potentially risk everything every shift. Also without a pay raise in a decade, plus I can pass a piss test. Im sorry he wont get much sympathy from me.
Ok what is your job that involves you getting holes on your brain? That’s essentially like getting in a vehicular car crash every week....what is this job you speak of?

No one asked for your sympathy lol. I’m well aware you don’t sympathize with these guys...why should you? Some people can’t sympathize with what they can’t relate to.

erod

Reaction score

Endless piles of steroids and other substances didn't help either.

We're too quick to jump to the concussion reasoning, while we ignore the mental effects of a life on chemicals.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Endless piles of steroids and other substances didn't help either.

We're too quick to jump to the concussion reasoning, while we ignore the mental effects of a life on chemicals.
Very good point....but i guess that’s why we end up here with players admitting to smoking weed as a outlet as opposed to chemicals and prescriptions. I think the scary one was Chris Henry. That one came out of left field.

dfense

Reaction score
Not playing in the NFL isn’t the worse thing. Probably extended years on their life by getting kicked out of the league. You guys don’t feel for them because you look at them as property. As if they should be thankful to bash their brains in every week for your pleasure. Then when they get CTE you guys are quiet as a mouse. As long as they continue to run fast for you and jump for you they are in your good graces.
It's more of a gee wiz, you got free college tuition to a top school and have skated through life with the privilege of a talent and you just toss it into the can so you can roll a doobie.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They put rules in place to protect their money so they won’t be sued lol.

I’m guessing you missed all of the articles of players, coaches and ex players saying the studies are “biased”?

Yes and the reason was based on the law suit dealing with concussions. They know that hits to the head can lead to sever damage to the brain it is not some secret being hidden from owners, players or the public as you seem to allude to. It is now common knowledge. Having said that players still choose to play this game no one is forcing them to play, they went to college they should be able to get jobs in other fields but they choose to play and in doing so can make big money. There are more dangerous jobs out there they do not pay close to what players get in the NFL.

aria

Reaction score
They don’t. These players can’t tell you what CTE is. Most believe “oh it won’t happen to me”...and it may not. Some clearly do. When guys retire at 25? They clearly have that understanding......Kyler Murray just chose football over baseball....
Still disagree, you would have to live under a rock, especially being a professional football player, to not know what CTE is at this point.

Also, as you said most believe “it won’t happen to me”. Well that’s their choice. Even a lot of high schoolers know what it is and decide to take the risk just to play the game for free, these guys are taking a chance to make millions.

I’m not saying I blame them, I would, but I sure as hell don’t have any sympathy for them.

Reactions: CWR

erod

Reaction score
Very good point....but i guess that’s why we end up here with players admitting to smoking weed as a outlet as opposed to chemicals and prescriptions. I think the scary one was Chris Henry. That one came out of left field.
Didn't he die from falling out of a pickup truck?

dwreck27

Reaction score
Not thinking too much. There are guys like this all over the NFL. Josh Gordon has thrown away 100 million at least. I think there is a reason for this. I don’t think people wake up and chose weed over a nfl career.

Sadly yes he did...

Hey man some people just dont care honestly lol you know someone personally who has legit zero goals in life and is completely fine just going through the motions