News: ESPN: Stephen on the new direction on offense

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35747137

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better."
Question Mr. Harry Dunne..? Why did it take three years after hiring Mike McCarthy for the light bulb to finally pop on for you and your DNA donor if it was obvious to both of you?

Sydla

Reaction score

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."
Lots of words that don't really say anything. LOL.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So basically he is saying it took them 15 years to figure out the Garrett system really did suck after all. :lmao2:
Yeah and it tells me that Garrett was actually here for 15 years, not 10.

That was Jerry’s one colossal failure…putting all his eggs in the Garrett basket when he was nothing more than an articulate fraud that mesmerized Jerry with his football talk.

Majic

Reaction score

Just one? How about 2-3 more playmakers, let's be ambitious

fivetwos

Reaction score

Just one? How about 2-3 more playmakers, let's be ambitious
Nah you add one. If that player gets hurt, you’re back to where you were, but you have the excuse.

Robster8989

Reaction score

The amazing part of this to me is that we hired a Head Coach (key word, Head), yet 3 years into his tenure he had to make a compelling case that he should be calling the plays. I'm not even that high on MM, but he has a SB winning resume as a HC and playcaller, yet he had to persuade the Jones to allow him to call the plays. OK. Says a lot.