News: ESPN: Stephen on the new direction on offense

ShortRound

Reaction score
So it was Mikes call to get rid of Kellen is what he’s saying. The coach. What a dope.

75boyz

Reaction score
I can't keep up with the spin. Hiring Mac came WITH the understanding that Kellen was play caller and OC. This was A HUGE PART of Mac accepting the job.

Fast forward 3 years and the offense put up very nice production numbers but overall fell short in playoff games.

Plenty supported Moore here when he was fired and said it wasn't his fault.
Others scapegoated him fully for failure.

So now why are we freaking over "making a compelling" argument to call plays when he didn't have to take the job in the first place if he couldn't call plays.

He wasn't broke.
Nobody put a gun to his head to be the head coach of the Cowboys.
Moore AS OC was a part of it and Mac signed off on it.

All the rest of this back tracking now is spin BS.

It's yours now Mac...
Whatcha got?

khiladi

Reaction score
This authors interpretation is off.

Stephen Jones is basically saying he had three years to watch this offense and then make a compelling case he can call plays. That means the offense isn’t changing.

This is why Brian Schottenheimer was brought in last year and was made OC this year, but Mike is calling plays. Jones is basically just trying to sell Mike and this is further confirmed by the fact he argues we were just short some plays here and there and they need one playmaker, not that they need to make wholesale changes. BTW, They were short because the QB sucked.

Moore was bouncing anyways. He had 1 year left and the Chargers wanted him from the get go and Jerry already gave him an expensive raise to stay. But Moore was interviewing anyway the last two years, so Jerry Already knew the writing in the wall. Moore would have left irrespective after the yeae. This way he gets the expensive salary of Moore off the books as it wasn’t a firing but a mutual agreement to part.

Jerry didn’t have to let him leave and he definitely wasn’t firing him and then pay him millions of dollars to get another job real quick.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Finally someone says it. Yes. That is the story. Mike McCarthy had to "make a compelling argument" to take over the offense. That is what the focus should be on.

Bet ya a beer nobody questioned Stephen about it. Like why in the heck would a head coach have to appeal to the owner and his son about changes to his own offense. A Super Bowl winning head coach at that.
Because most probably they aren’t changing the offense like I said before. This is why Schottenheimer was brought it last year and made OC this year. BS runs the same Coryell offense.

The mistake is people are assuming the authors interpretation that the offense will change is right, when in fact is his interpretation is probably wrong.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The amazing part of this to me is that we hired a Head Coach (key word, Head), yet 3 years into his tenure he had to make a compelling case that he should be calling the plays. I'm not even that high on MM, but he has a SB winning resume as a HC and playcaller, yet he had to persuade the Jones to allow him to call the plays. OK. Says a lot.
We are doomed with this structure.
Divisional round is our ceiling.
It's less painful if you just accept it and set your expectations accordingly.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jerry has been playing this game ever since he ran off Jimmy, with the exception of the Parcells years when Jerry got desperate after 3 straight 5-11 seasons and needed a quick fix to backing for his new stadium. Once BP left Jerry immediately went back to trying to be the de facto HC pulling the strings like he did once he fired Jimmy prior to hiring Bill.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has been playing this game ever since he ran off Jimmy, with the exception of the Parcells years when Jerry got desperate after 3 straight 5-11 seasons and needed a quick fix to backing for his new stadium. Once BP left Jerry immediately went back to trying to be the de facto HC pulling the strings like he did once he fired Jimmy prior to hiring Bill.
And those were the "egg shells" Jerry said he was walking on while Bill was here. He literally meant he had to respect his authority as a Head Coach. That's what made him so uncomfortable.

The guy is a lunatic.

MikeT22

Reaction score
And those were the "egg shells" Jerry said he was walking on while Bill was here. He literally meant he had to respect his authority as a Head Coach. That's what made him so uncomfortable.

The guy is a lunatic.
Yep, that's why after getting rid of Jimmy, other than BP during that short period when Jerry was desperate, he has only hired 'yes men' type HC's, mostly who were just happy to have an NFL HC gig and would go along with his meddling and pulling of the strings

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
The amazing part of this to me is that we hired a Head Coach (key word, Head), yet 3 years into his tenure he had to make a compelling case that he should be calling the plays. I'm not even that high on MM, but he has a SB winning resume as a HC and playcaller, yet he had to persuade the Jones to allow him to call the plays. OK. Says a lot.
Speaks to everything wrong with this organization and why it can’t get over the hump.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Basically, Mike wanted to keep his job. So scapegoating Quinn wasn't going to work, so Kellen got to be the whipping boy.

I wasn't aware, until recently, of Jerry's little on-field pep talk with Maher. I've said this since after the Aikman days, or even right around then, as long as Jerry is coming down to the field to interact with players before games, or in the locker room or on the sidelines or whatever, that they'll never win.

Each and every time he does that, it backfires. I can't really fault him for the way he's handled the personnel of the team. But I can definitely fault him for that, and that is just plain stupid....

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So basically he is saying it took them 15 years to figure out the Garrett system really did suck after all. :lmao2:
yes lol , but that is actually fast for the jones boys !
It only took them 3 years to get rid of kellen and give mike a shot so that is faster lol.
But I dont know how much better it will be, have to wait and see, same for kellen in LA.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically, Mike wanted to keep his job. So scapegoating Quinn wasn't going to work, so Kellen got to be the whipping boy.

I wasn't aware, until recently, of Jerry's little on-field pep talk with Maher. I've said this since after the Aikman days, or even right around then, as long as Jerry is coming down to the field to interact with players before games, or in the locker room or on the sidelines or whatever, that they'll never win.

Each and every time he does that, it backfires. I can't really fault him for the way he's handled the personnel of the team. But I can definitely fault him for that, and that is just plain stupid....
McCarthy is a fraud he's been a train wreck at handling penalties and game management. No way he'll do well with the offense. The ONLY reason the was successful in GB was they were allowed to hold. As soon as the league stopped them from using their "hug" technique he was fired in 2 years
He invented his whole analytics thing and Jerry bought in hook, line, and sinker. Plus he was weak and Jerry could continue his rule .
I can't wait for Quinn, it won't be long

Gaede

Reaction score
Finally someone says it. Yes. That is the story. Mike McCarthy had to "make a compelling argument" to take over the offense. That is what the focus should be on.

Bet ya a beer nobody questioned Stephen about it. Like why in the heck would a head coach have to appeal to the owner and his son about changes to his own offense. A Super Bowl winning head coach at that.
Yep. Brought to you by the same idiots who gave Garrett 10 years.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Yeah and it tells me that Garrett was actually here for 15 years, not 10.

That was Jerry’s one colossal failure…putting all his eggs in the Garrett basket when he was nothing more than an articulate fraud that mesmerized Jerry with his football talk.
All the Clown's football talk was "It's a Process". For 10 frickin' years! Ridiculous that Jerry kept the Clown on for so long.