News: ESPN: Stephen on the new direction on offense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."
Last year, that addition was James Washington. Those expecting it to be some expensive free agent are pipe-dreaming.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The amazing part of this to me is that we hired a Head Coach (key word, Head), yet 3 years into his tenure he had to make a compelling case that he should be calling the plays. I'm not even that high on MM, but he has a SB winning resume as a HC and playcaller, yet he had to persuade the Jones to allow him to call the plays. OK. Says a lot.
Finally someone says it. Yes. That is the story. Mike McCarthy had to "make a compelling argument" to take over the offense. That is what the focus should be on.

Bet ya a beer nobody questioned Stephen about it. Like why in the heck would a head coach have to appeal to the owner and his son about changes to his own offense. A Super Bowl winning head coach at that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's days like this that I hate living 5 hours from the coast and the nearest pier:banghead:

Shut up man!

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
The amazing part of this to me is that we hired a Head Coach (key word, Head), yet 3 years into his tenure he had to make a compelling case that he should be calling the plays. I'm not even that high on MM, but he has a SB winning resume as a HC and playcaller, yet he had to persuade the Jones to allow him to call the plays. OK. Says a lot.
Yep because when MM got signed, Jerry told him KM is calling plays... Do you really think MM is going to go up against Jerry? Now that KM is gone, now we can really see what MM is all about..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally someone says it. Yes. That is the story. Mike McCarthy had to "make a compelling argument" to take over the offense. That is what the focus should be on.

Bet ya a beer nobody questioned Stephen about it. Like why in the heck would a head coach have to appeal to the owner and his son about changes to his own offense. A Super Bowl winning head coach at that.
A bunch of media members owe you a cold one. It is like many are cowed into not asking relevant questions by the Jones family. They should collude among themselves, agree to ask questions that will get them banned by the Joneses and wait until there is no one else available to stick microphones into their faces. That would force them to make a decision about either communicating with the media about commonsense topics or going cold turkey altogether.

It is a win-win scenario for the public in my opinion.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35747137

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."
One year too late. These guys are just full of excuses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah it is just a bit peculiar that he wasn’t good enough to call plays when hired but is now.

Pretty sure we all know the answer to that question.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Our new offense

folding-lounge-chairs-on-a-cruise-ship-deck-D15FT7.jpg

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Yeah it is just a bit peculiar that he wasn’t good enough to call plays when hired but is now.

Pretty sure we all know the answer to that question.
....The Cowboy way....

Dummies "Coach in training" 101
note: (incubate til hatched/trained, some incubation periods may take longer than others)

:banghead:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they envision Pollard being the guy, but pointing more to the receiving core. There is a reason why they looked into trading for one, brought OBJ before they signed Hilton.
That and once teams started taking away CeeDee and with Pollard out, where's the juice?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That and once teams started taking away CeeDee and with Pollard out, where's the juice?
All the so called bread crumbs point to a high-level receiver opposite Lamb. We know they tried to trade for Juedy, Cooks and entertained signing OBJ, before they settled with Hilton. Clearly this is the area they are going to address and they have always prioritized the position. All their major trades or signings have been in this area-remember they traded 2 #1's for Galloway/Roy Williams, traded for Cooper, etc.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
So we are finally able to say we are Garrett free? That dude was the worst thing to ever happen to the Dallas Cowboys besides Jerry buying the team

Aven8

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35747137

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

After 15 years of emails he finally read it! Thank you for listening! ;)

links18

Reaction score
So basically he is saying it took them 15 years to figure out the Garrett system really did suck after all. :lmao2:
2007 to 2022. Just think of all the world events that have happened in the timespan we ran Garrett's offense.