News: ESPN: Stephen on the new direction on offense

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Such a dumpster fire of an organization, and the Jones family acts like it's normal.

If your "head coach" has to make a "compelling argument" that he should be calling plays, then he's not the head coach.

Jerry & Stephen Jones are the co-head coaches of this mess.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I would only hope that Stephen realizes that one or two playmakers may not be enough to push this team over the hump in the playoffs. It will surely require far better management than what this team has seen in the past. If he and Jerry, or whomever else, is able to provide such a fine degree of management, it would behoove this organization to make that come to fruition. It would only then reap the benefits of sound leadership. Once and for all times, they should consider empowering a capable GM to take a meaningful leadership role. Stephen should rightly be devoted to making that happen whenever Jerry is no longer able to serve in the capacity as his team's GM. If so, Stephen's level respect would be doubled.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35747137

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."
The words of this “speech“ could have been plugged in after 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2021 and 2022. Just for fun, he even threw in one of his fun phrases- this time it’s “add a little juice”…in the past it was “secret sauce”. These are the words of a lazy and entitled child of the owner who earned his lifetime contract the day daddy bought the team.

We could not find another front office in the entire NFL who admits they’ve run the same offense for 15 consecutive seasons, between 3 different HCs, 4 different OCs and has 4 wild card wins to show for it. And still believes the only reason they haven’t made it to an NFC championship game is just bad luck.

Flamma

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe Fat Mike is some great play caller? Anyone?

offlimits

Reaction score
So basically he is saying it took them 15 years to figure out the Garrett system really did suck after all. :lmao2:
Longer than that. This is still pretty much the same offense that Norv Turner ran in the '90s, only Norv had superior talent.

offlimits

Reaction score
Our new offense

folding-lounge-chairs-on-a-cruise-ship-deck-D15FT7.jpg
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

75boyz

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe Fat Mike is some great play caller? Anyone?
He last called plays 5 years ago. His offense supposedly had gotten stale. That sounds familiar. Never in the top tier of rushing offenses during his regime.

Sounds like Jerry and Stephen have us right where we need to be I tell ya.

I kinda feel sorry for Mac honestly. I'm not his biggest fan but this thing is gonna go way south on him I think.

We'll most likely be working on our 3rd HC and OC during Dak's tenure next offseason.

But Im sure the next guys hired will totally figure out how to make SleepNumber a SB winning QB.

Just gotta be patient, geez. It's a process AND we like our guys.
Shrugs

Last edited:

Pokes12

Reaction score

"Obviously he's the head coach of this football team, and he made a compelling argument that making him the playcaller was going to help us," Jones said. "I mean that's part of the coaching, be one click better. He feels good about it. He's had a lot of success as a playcaller. And he's observed for three years. I think he's been a super leader in that aspect in terms of having the respect for Kellen and the offensive group working with Dak, that that was the better way of doing it. I think he believes now, although they believe in a lot of things the same, there's that 15-20% that they don't. And I think that Mike just thinks that they'll do more with the way he wants to do it [and] that we'll be a better offensive football team."

Jones believes there will be a noticeable change in the offense, especially considering the Cowboys were largely in the same system from 2007 to '22.

"I just think it's some of it's the fundamentals, how you block it, how you coordinate and marry the run game to the pass game, what your pass game is philosophically, what your run game is philosophically," Jones said. "... I think people will notice. Now, we've been a good offensive football team. That's the scary part. But we just hadn't been able to make the plays when it got right down to it in the playoffs."

"Offensively, we've just got to have, maybe add a playmaker to it," Jones said. "Add a little juice. Add a playmaker to it and see if we can do that."
What direction is that? Our offense was in east/west direction. Now we are going South? That is the only direction with Dak as the QB. He is hopeless. Not a clue about running the offense or understanding defenses.

He is the luckiest 4th rounder ever. He should have been out of the league and instead fills a full house in year one and parlays that into a huge contract. He has been mediocre at best and headed in the wrong direction.

We need to move on. The Dak experiment is officially over.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Why did McCarthy not be the play caller in his first year since he could do better?

mardwin

Reaction score
So basically he is saying it took them 15 years to figure out the Garrett system really did suck after all. :lmao2:
Amazing, they let go the guy they kept for more than a decade and retained his playbook that didn't yield any meaningful successful.

mardwin

Reaction score
I can't keep up with the spin. Hiring Mac came WITH the understanding that Kellen was play caller and OC. This was A HUGE PART of Mac accepting the job.

Fast forward 3 years and the offense put up very nice production numbers but overall fell short in playoff games.

Plenty supported Moore here when he was fired and said it wasn't his fault.
Others scapegoated him fully for failure.

So now why are we freaking over "making a compelling" argument to call plays when he didn't have to take the job in the first place if he couldn't call plays.

He wasn't broke.
Nobody put a gun to his head to be the head coach of the Cowboys.
Moore AS OC was a part of it and Mac signed off on it.

All the rest of this back tracking now is spin BS.

It's yours now Mac...
Whatcha got?
Don't worry about it, #4 is going to get another HC soon. And that new HC will blamed as well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serious question: When listening to Stephen Jones talking this week, does he sound like a guy who is dissatisfied with the team’s playoff failures of the recent past, or a guy who has a lifetime contract regardless of results?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serious question: When listening to Stephen Jones talking this week, does he sound like a guy who is dissatisfied with the team’s playoff failures of the recent past, or a guy who has a lifetime contract regardless of results?
He sounds like a guy who will operate as GM exactly as his Dad has.