News: ESPN: Terrance Williams' play earns coaches faith, trust

NewsBot

Reaction score
Terrance Williams' play earns coaches faith, trust

FRISCO, Texas -- Mention Terrance Williams’ name and Dallas Cowboys fans will almost automatically groan.

They cannot get past the fact Williams did not get out of bounds and allowed the clock to run out in the season-opening loss to the New York Giants or the fumble against the Chicago Bears after a 47-yard catch.

Mention Williams’ name to the Cowboys coaches and you will hear how much they respect the wide receiver’s work.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the nine games without Bryant last year, Cowboys receivers totaled three touchdown catches.

“We just don’t blink,” Williams said. “Last year it was a bit of a panic. But that’s our guy, don’t matter what. And regardless if he’s playing or not, he’s always going to be there. Whenever you have a person that you genuinely care about and you truly like, you’re try to follow his lead. You’ll go in and do whatever you can for the guy. I think that’s what we’re doing. No matter what’s going on, we’re just playing football.”
Somehow it sounds like Dez' teammates managed to work their way around their fury over the missed MRI appointment. It's really good to hear.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Williams will never be Alvin Harper but every now and then he will have a good game.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a little redemption story..
Agreed. He seems to be one of those dudes who needs to feel the pressure to turn it up. When he gets comfortable he goes into a shell. Good for him to respond to some adversity!

robbieruff

Reaction score
Williams will never be Alvin Harper but every now and then he will have a good game.
I was a huge Harper fan, too. In fact, I was at arguabley his greatest game (the first NFC championship at SF). But he benefitted greatly by playing opposite a HOF wideout (among other things) who was an iron man who didn't miss games (albeit his career was bookended by injuries early and late and of course there was the suspension). Irvin was CONSISTENTLY in the line up during the Harper years...without looking it up I would reckon he didn't miss one game over that time period.

While I have been on record for being extremely hard on TWill, I think we'd be singing a different tune if he was able to play opposite a consistently healthy Dez the majority of the time (which he has not).

Indeed, you only need to look at what happened to the Great Alvin Harper when he left to chase the big money and become a number one WR with Tampa Bay. He sucked royally...looked way worse than even TWill looks without Dez. While it is likely we will move on from TWill after this season (that's my guess), I think he has talent and ability - he's just not a number one guy and his play suffers when he's pressed into that role. At least up until now. Perhaps he will change the story?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The headline makes it seem as if they at some point wavered. I don't like TWill as a starter but I have never heard a discouraging word from the staff. Dooley makes excuses for the leaping body catches. It is what it is.

Primetime42

Reaction score
In the nine games without Bryant last year, Cowboys receivers totaled three touchdown catches.

“We just don’t blink,” Williams said. “Last year it was a bit of a panic. But that’s our guy, don’t matter what. And regardless if he’s playing or not, he’s always going to be there. Whenever you have a person that you genuinely care about and you truly like, you’re try to follow his lead. You’ll go in and do whatever you can for the guy. I think that’s what we’re doing. No matter what’s going on, we’re just playing football.”
Somehow it sounds like Dez' teammates managed to work their way around their fury over the missed MRI appointment. It's really good to hear.
More likely that there was no fury. But you know how these things go.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
What? You don't think his teammates were outraged he missed his first MRI appointment and wasn't a team player?

Me either.

Speaking of MRI, Has anyone heard about Romo's?

aikemirv

Reaction score
You mean he will never go to another team, sign a huge contract to be numero uno and be a huge flop?

Never sign a huge contract! and probably not a flop since expectations would not be high but he will end up on another team.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
What if it comes down to signing twill or MO for 8 mil a year? Who would you guys choose?

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score

TWill and Alvin had a near identical first three seasons starting. Even number of targets.

Williams:
wHhiumg.jpg

Harper:
p29btpO.jpg

Full disclosure: I threw Alvin a bone and didn't include his rookie year, because even though he started, he didn't do much. (TWill blows him away rookie year to rookie year.) I also did not include this season for TWill, obviously, because it's not finished yet.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
What? You don't think his teammates were outraged he missed his first MRI appointment and wasn't a team player?

Me either.

We all know it was a bit more than just a simple missed MRI but you can keep spinning..

It's not jump off a bridge worthy but it is concerning to have a player who isn't accountable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know it was a bit more than just a simple missed MRI but you can keep spinning..

It's not jump off a bridge worthy but it is concerning to have a player who isn't accountable.

Yeah. I'm using shorthand. It was, what, I missed MRI on his day off, being upset and unreachable for a time that next morning, and then some rescheduling they had to do during a week he wasn't playing, anyway, because his leg had swollen enough that it was difficult to walk on it.

I disagree that it was even concerning. It's one of those things where you are irritated, realize it's part-and-parcel with Dez' personality and, since Dez is a very hard worker and a great teammate, you simply take it in stride like you do the idiosyncrasies of any co-worker who happens to be really, really good at his job. Only among the fans--I should say 'some of the fans'--was it ever a big issue. And I'd say Williams' comments here make that pretty clear.