News: ESPN: Terrance Williams' play earns coaches faith, trust

CWR

Reaction score
T-Will has responded well to extricate himself from our wrath lately and give cause for us to afford him some slack for his gaffs of the past. Who knows, he might even work his way into our hearts with more good results and heady play vs. GB. He's not the only one making progress, though, as Butler has been showing signs lately of being a noteworthy contributor as well. Hopefully, they'll both put their best foot forward come Sunday.

The amazing thing is that we are optimistic to win in Lambeau without DEZ. That has to say something about the job our WRS have done in his absence.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I was a huge Harper fan, too. In fact, I was at arguabley his greatest game (the first NFC championship at SF). But he benefitted greatly by playing opposite a HOF wideout (among other things) who was an iron man who didn't miss games (albeit his career was bookended by injuries early and late and of course there was the suspension). Irvin was CONSISTENTLY in the line up during the Harper years...without looking it up I would reckon he didn't miss one game over that time period.

While I have been on record for being extremely hard on TWill, I think we'd be singing a different tune if he was able to play opposite a consistently healthy Dez the majority of the time (which he has not).

Indeed, you only need to look at what happened to the Great Alvin Harper when he left to chase the big money and become a number one WR with Tampa Bay. He sucked royally...looked way worse than even TWill looks without Dez. While it is likely we will move on from TWill after this season (that's my guess), I think he has talent and ability - he's just not a number one guy and his play suffers when he's pressed into that role. At least up until now. Perhaps he will change the story?
Twill is good enough to hang on to, IMO.

Shouldn't mess with team chemistry which this team has right now and hasn't had in a long time.

Chemistry turns into swagger and you walk the walk. Remember those days?

robbieruff

Reaction score
Twill is good enough to hang on to, IMO.

Shouldn't mess with team chemistry which this team has right now and hasn't had in a long time.

Chemistry turns into swagger and you walk the walk. Remember those days?
Oh yeah. Sure do!!!! Great times! I had just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area around that time so u can bet my smack talk was overflowin' to my friends who were Niners fans. Loved it!!!!:)

The reason I said I didn't think he will stick around is due to Butler's and of course Beasely's emergence and the fact that I think TWill will get some nice offers during the offseason that we won't match. I would like to see him stay if he continues to develop chemistry with Dak.

manster4ever

Reaction score
The light is coming on for TWIll...maybe. Have to see him be more consistent. Seems that Dak has better chemistry with him than Romo but....it's a contract year for him I believe. He's locked in for now. Hope it continues.

robbieruff

Reaction score
The fact that we haven't missed Dez says Williams is a bit more than Harper part 2.

If anything, Williams is a poor man's Irvin. If he were tougher in traffic, he would really be a poor man's Irvin.

Williams is a complete receiver.
I think Williams has potential to get there. I don't think he has shown me enough at this point to be called complete. Harper's high jump ability made him much more proficient than TWill at "go up and get it" catches (a la Dez), but I agree that Williams runs better routes than Alvin did. I would say they are about equal in RAC ability.

Williams main issue as I see it is consistency. While he's much more physically gifted than Cole (although I have to admit Cole is a freakish athlete for his size), his long periods of not showing up on the stat sheet needs to change. Also, he clearly has had focus issues. Cole doesn't have those problems. Perhaps this is the season TWill puts it all together. I sure hope so. He sure will be motivated by the contract opportunity waiting at the other side of the season.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Strange ole world three weeks ago everybody was saying he should be shot and then cut!! He has always been a good receiver and plays better when more included in games.

It's amazing how a WR can look better when he actually has a good QB throwing them the ball. Williams looked better even just going to Moore at the end of last year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It's amazing how a WR can look better when he actually has a good QB throwing them the ball. Williams looked better even just going to Moore at the end of last year.

he was open repeatedly last year and was not thrown the ball. It drove me nuts watching the all 22 after seeing it in the stadium. just didn't get the ball for some reason.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It's always the same 5-7 posters flooding every thread with Dez hate kind wish the mods would clean this up. It's really ridiculous at this point. People act like he is the villain getting suspended by the league. Enough is enough, it couldn't just be that the WRs stepped up their game because Dez is injured. I'm glad the team and coaches don't pay attention to what the jokers on this board think.

Some of you must live perfect lives to be able to stand and judge another man whose shoes you've never walked in.

I'm happy Twill is playing well the team needs him to. I would be disappointed if a healthy WR made the gaffes and never redeemed himself. I look forward to the WRs being some what at full strength here shortly. I have hope Dez will be joining them this weekend in a limited role.

rkell87

Reaction score
He's playing for a contract, don't get sucked again. Hopefully williams plays/prices himself out of the organization. With a fat wallet next year he will regress just have to wait to see what team that's on.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing wrong with a little redemption story..
It's too bad that Williams get so much grief from the fans. He seems to have a profession approach to being an NFL player. If Butler had the same approach to being a professional, I think he could be an elite WR, but instead he seems to have many distractions. It's similar with Dez. I would love it if Dez had the same approach to being an NFL player and to life in general as TWilliams.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's too bad that Williams get so much grief from the fans. He seems to have a profession approach to being an NFL player. If Butler had the same approach to being a professional, I think he could be an elite WR, but instead he seems to have many distractions. It's similar with Dez. I would love it if Dez had the same approach to being an NFL player and to life in general as TWilliams.
I'm not sure where you're getting Butler observations from, but he said it himself in an article that he didn't really know the offense last year. It's technically easy to learn, but you have to be able to read the defense the way the QB reads it, and well we know what happened last year. All the media folks expect Butler to take over for T-Will next year.

And T-Will might be a pro in the lockerroom, but he's hypersensitive to fan criticisms. He's worse on twitter than any other athlete I follow. It's hilarious.

Gonna ignore the Dez stuff.. I'm aware of your low opinion of him. No need to discuss that with you. lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure where you're getting Butler observations from, but he said it himself in an article that he didn't really know the offense last year. It's technically easy to learn, but you have to be able to read the defense the way the QB reads it, and well we know what happened last year. All the media folks expect Butler to take over for T-Will next year.

And T-Will might be a pro in the lockerroom, but he's hypersensitive to fan criticisms. He's worse on twitter than any other athlete I follow. It's hilarious.

Gonna ignore the Dez stuff.. I'm aware of your low opinion of him. No need to discuss that with you. lol
Butler has done a lot of interviews on local radio and IIRC one with Brad Sham on video. He wants to be DJ and a bunch of other stuff. He just doesn't come across as all that interested in football. His more recent interviews have been a little better.

Last year it came out that the WR Street was given the task by coaches of hanging out with Butler and trying to steer him in the right direction off the field. You might have heard some of the interviews where the WR coach raved about Street. It turns out that a lot of that was just based on his approach to the practice, film study, etc. more than his physical ability.

Beasley was also a moron on twitter in the past. Yes, TWill has been thin-skinned about criticism; however, the coaches consider his approach a model for what they want other players to follow in terms of his practice habits, film study, attitude in the locker room and ability to stay out of trouble off the field.

If we could just get to the point that the only issue with Dez was twitter, then I would be ecstatic.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm using shorthand. It was, what, I missed MRI on his day off, being upset and unreachable for a time that next morning, and then some rescheduling they had to do during a week he wasn't playing, anyway, because his leg had swollen enough that it was difficult to walk on it.

I disagree that it was even concerning. It's one of those things where you are irritated, realize it's part-and-parcel with Dez' personality and, since Dez is a very hard worker and a great teammate, you simply take it in stride like you do the idiosyncrasies of any co-worker who happens to be really, really good at his job. Only among the fans--I should say 'some of the fans'--was it ever a big issue. And I'd say Williams' comments here make that pretty clear.
I thought it was definitely a childish episode but I never even considered the "his teammates will be furious at him" argument until posters he ran with it. What a weird thing to be getting upset about by our fans.

lwehlers

Reaction score
What if it comes down to signing twill or MO for 8 mil a year? Who would you guys choose?

I would not sign either one of them to 8 million a year. but right now I hate to say this that I believe that mo will be one that gets the money in the offseason. corners always get overpaid.