News: ESPN: What Cowboys saw in Trey Lance and what's next for the former 49ers QB

Motorola

Reaction score
This quote from the article brought back some bad..bad memories: :facepalm:

"After quarterback Troy Aikman’s retirement following the 2000 season and the ascension of Tony Romo from undrafted free agent to Pro Bowler in 2006, the Cowboys went through Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Anthony Wright, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Drew Bledsoe as their starting quarterbacks."
That sure was a motley crew of signal callers for those 5 and 1/3 seasons.

Creeper

Reaction score
I really do not like that Jerry didn't even talk to the head coach before trading for Lance. When Jerry is impulsive nothing good comes of it.

They have one year to determine if he can be a QB in the NFL. I think next preseason he will get a lot of playing time.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The most illuminating quote of the article. Delivered by Jerry.
We all know it.
At least he's not pretending like it's not true.

“I didn’t have to go through any committee meetings. That’s the nature of our system around here is that I don’t have to talk to the owner, I don’t have to coax the general manager. I just do it.”
It's great when the owner and GM are so well aligned.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Everyone knows why they traded for him. The starting QB has reached his ceiling and there are doubts about him. Dallas would consider moving on from Dak next offseason if there is no playoff success this year. 2024 Cooper Rush would be the starter with Lance as backup. Rush is 5-1 as a starter with the same roster as Dak. (2-0 at home) (3-1 on the road).

Rush is not a starter type QB it wouldn’t work long term. They got Trey to play him not sit if things go bad for Dak.

mardwin

Reaction score
Rush is not a starter type QB it wouldn’t work long term. They got Trey to play him not sit if things go bad for Dak.
Rush is going to have his shot until Trey is full go. No need to throw him to the wolves when he spent his first 2 years in a different system.

ghst187

Reaction score
Lance is a developmental prospect and is a bag of tools at this point.

I still have zero issues trading a 4th rounder for him and don’t know why anyone else would.
I did because I thought he was going to be a bust coming out of college, was a horrible bust, and then we traded a fairly valuable fourth round pick for him when I don’t see any hope or chance that he becomes even quality backup material. He also took a roster spot that forced us to cut someone else like Land, whom I thought could play a bit.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I wanted to read about Trey's progress since coming to Dallas, but McCarthy saying he's glad Lance is here will have to suffice.
1. This offense seems more suited towards Cooper Rush strengths, so he's a really good QB2.
2. Cowboys should let Dak play out his contract then look to replace him, and having Lance around is a good start if that's the plan they have.
3. Dak is having a decent year, and if he can master this offense in the next year Jerry/Stephen will have a tough decision to make.
4. The QB room is strong, so it's all good. Just hope TL is a fast learner in case of injury.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I did because I thought he was going to be a bust coming out of college, was a horrible bust, and then we traded a fairly valuable fourth round pick for him when I don’t see any hope or chance that he becomes even quality backup material. He also took a roster spot that forced us to cut someone else like Land, whom I thought could play a bit.
Context matters.

He was waaaay overdrafted to be taken 3rd overall.

However, to have his traits and still only be 23, I’ll take that gamble for a 4th rounder, which is precisely the range you draft developmental QBs anyways. He’s worth the minor risk and effort IMO.

quickccc

Reaction score
I really do not like that Jerry didn't even talk to the head coach before trading for Lance. When Jerry is impulsive nothing good comes of it.

They have one year to determine if he can be a QB in the NFL. I think next preseason he will get a lot of playing time.
More so, how come VP Stephen Jones did not present the trade to HC McCarthy as well ?

But it was not like McCarthy had the power to vote it down, ...if anything, he was gonna be out ruled and
" ask" to go with the trade move no matter what - just as he was " asked" to let Kellen remained the OC.

As far as trade value itself, I think this was a great trade value for the Cowboys, with many plus factors:
- We're acquiring talent at the most demanding position in the NFL.
- Wil McClay staff had a 2nd round grade upon this highly regarded QB prospect
- We're addressing the backup QB position, instead of counting/hanging onto a physically limited Cooper Rush.
- It's only a 4th round draft pick for Lance; (A mid-round pick) ..not a 1st, or 2nd, or even 3rd rd pick. : if we can
draft the Josh Ball,.. Jabril Cox, ..Reggie Robinson, etc. 4th rounders, why not a low risk gamble on athletic, high regarded QB prospect and talent like Lance ?

- Low risk/High reward trade, imo

CCBoy

Reaction score
Everyone knows why they traded for him. The starting QB has reached his ceiling and there are doubts about him. Dallas would consider moving on from Dak next offseason if there is no playoff success this year. 2024 Cooper Rush would be the starter with Lance as backup. Rush is 5-1 as a starter with the same roster as Dak. (2-0 at home) (3-1 on the road).
In April's draft, the Cowboys wanted to add a developmental quarterback. Among their targets was Purdue’s Aidan O’Connell, who went to the Las Vegas Raiders six picks after the Cowboys took defensive lineman Viliami Fehoko Jr. at No. 129 overall in the fourth round. They also had interest in Fresno State’s Jake Haener (No. 127, New Orleans Saints) and Houston’s Clayton Tune (No. 139, Arizona Cardinals).

In the Cowboys’ eyes, a fourth-round pick in 2024 for Lance was worth the cost. Sources said they had a second-round grade on Lance in 2021. In January 2020, Cowboys scouts were in attendance at Toyota Stadium just up the street from The Star in Frisco, Texas, when Lance led North Dakota State to the FCS national championship.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And this is a tool, not stupidity since the beginning:

“I knew immediately when they said they might want to trade him that we wanted to not let them off the phone and get it done,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones told ESPN. “I didn’t have to go through any committee meetings. That’s the nature of our system around here is that I don’t have to talk to the owner, I don’t have to coax the general manager. I just do it.”

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thinking is why not? He probably has the highest ceiling of any QB on the roster athletically. I do not understand why the Niners gave up on him after moving all the way up in the draft at great cost to draft him. None of it makes sense given his injury history. Even if they gave the franchise to purdy, what is harm in keeping him around ? It’s not like they cashed out and recouped even a fraction of what they gave up for him.

Proof

Reaction score
"everyone knows" followed by easily disputed conjecture is one of my favorite types of posts here. did you even read the article?

CCBoy

Reaction score
More so, how come VP Stephen Jones did not present the trade to HC McCarthy as well ?

But it was not like McCarthy had the power to vote it down, ...if anything, he was gonna be out ruled and
" ask" to go with the trade move no matter what - just as he was " asked" to let Kellen remained the OC.

As far as trade value itself, I think this was a great trade value for the Cowboys, with many plus factors:
- We're acquiring talent at the most demanding position in the NFL.
- Wil McClay staff had a 2nd round grade upon this highly regarded QB prospect
- We're addressing the backup QB position, instead of counting/hanging onto a physically limited Cooper Rush.
- It's only a 4th round draft pick for Lance; (A mid-round pick) ..not a 1st, or 2nd, or even 3rd rd pick. : if we can
draft the Josh Ball,.. Jabril Cox, ..Reggie Robinson, etc. 4th rounders, why not a low risk gamble on athletic, high regarded QB prospect and talent like Lance ?

- Low risk/High reward trade, imo
McCarthy was included in all of directions and planning on team direction in quarterback developments. He also was already fully knowledgeable of where this player was presently valued to the team.

Do some of you really want the team to request a urine test run on Jerry Jones before he does anything to see if he has been drinking?

Really? When his organization is the most valuable in the world. Oh, you say that is purely cash flow....naw.

shabazz

Reaction score
There's one thing that we all know. Jerry doesn't make a signing like this for a guy to just be a practice squad player or a backup.

He will raise heaven and hell to prove that only HE has what it takes to make Trey a starter in this league

IMO, This has little to do with the current qb and backup and more to do with the Boss and his ego and legacy

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You mean every idiot knows that?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cooper Rush is 5-0 when the opponent is held to 17 or less, and 0-1 when that doesn't happen.