News: ESPN: What Cowboys saw in Trey Lance and what's next for the former 49ers QB

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The most illuminating quote of the article. Delivered by Jerry.
We all know it.
At least he's not pretending like it's not true.

“I didn’t have to go through any committee meetings. That’s the nature of our system around here is that I don’t have to talk to the owner, I don’t have to coax the general manager. I just do it.”
The autocratic man

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Everyone knows why they traded for him. The starting QB has reached his ceiling and there are doubts about him. Dallas would consider moving on from Dak next offseason if there is no playoff success this year. 2024 Cooper Rush would be the starter with Lance as backup. Rush is 5-1 as a starter with the same roster as Dak. (2-0 at home) (3-1 on the road).

lucky to even be on this team
Everyone knows why they traded for him. The starting QB has reached his ceiling and there are doubts about him. Dallas would consider moving on from Dak next offseason if there is no playoff success this year. 2024 Cooper Rush would be the starter with Lance as backup. Rush is 5-1 as a starter with the same roster as Dak. (2-0 at home) (3-1 on the road).
Cooper Rush is lucky to even be on this team. Trey Lance is probably already ahead of him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know it.

“I didn’t have to go through any committee meetings. That’s the nature of our system around here is that I don’t have to talk to the owner, I don’t have to coax the general manager. I just do it.”
Not all but you are right.

quickccc

Reaction score
McCarthy was included in all of directions and planning on team direction in quarterback developments. He also was already fully knowledgeable of where this player was presently valued to the team.

Do some of you really want the team to request a urine test run on Jerry Jones before he does anything to see if he has been drinking?

Really? When his organization is the most valuable in the world. Oh, you say that is purely cash flow....naw.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...San Francisco,McCarthy, until it was complete.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' trade acquisition of 2021 third overall pick quarterback Trey Lance on Aug. 25 from the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for a 2024 fourth-round pick felt spur of the moment. Well, that's because it was. Team owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn't tell anybody about the specifics of the deal, not even head coach Mike McCarthy, until it was complete.

"No, we, we didn't tell anybody until we did it, period," Jones said prior to the Cowboys' preseason finale against the Las Vegas Raiders. "There was nobody that knew [about] it. We told Mike [McCarthy], after we had done it, but my point is we just wanted to get it done. Again, we didn't waste any time. My point is, we didn't, we didn't want them, we didn't want them to hang up."

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe hoping Lance can take over for Rush. I think it’s his last year on his contract. These blowout games I am surprised they haven’t let him go out there and throw it around some. Is there a penalty or something if they use the emergency QB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-jerry-jones-acquired-trey-lance-without-telling-mike-mccarthy-i-can-make-that-trade-in-5-minutes/#:~:text=25 from the San Francisco,McCarthy, until it was complete.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' trade acquisition of 2021 third overall pick quarterback Trey Lance on Aug. 25 from the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for a 2024 fourth-round pick felt spur of the moment. Well, that's because it was. Team owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn't tell anybody about the specifics of the deal, not even head coach Mike McCarthy, until it was complete.

"No, we, we didn't tell anybody until we did it, period," Jones said prior to the Cowboys' preseason finale against the Las Vegas Raiders. "There was nobody that knew [about] it. We told Mike [McCarthy], after we had done it, but my point is we just wanted to get it done. Again, we didn't waste any time. My point is, we didn't, we didn't want them, we didn't want them to hang up."

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.
You may have awaken The Kraken.

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-jerry-jones-acquired-trey-lance-without-telling-mike-mccarthy-i-can-make-that-trade-in-5-minutes/#:~:text=25 from the San Francisco,McCarthy, until it was complete.

Your point changes nothing stated in my quote. SO, he ha a full operational knowledge and time was the element to make an improvment. It was an organizational advantage. I knew there was not an immediate declaration. That was not possible, but all the facts surrounding it stand on merit.

If you are trying to pick an argument or even educate me on FACTS, let's go...:popcorn: This is not just another of your hell with Jerry's! You are full of crap here.

quickccc

Reaction score
Your point changes nothing stated in my quote. SO, he ha a full operational knowledge and time was the element to make an improvment. It was an organizational advantage. I knew there was not an immediate declaration. That was not possible, but all the facts surrounding it stand on merit.

If you are trying to pick an argument or even educate me on FACTS, let's go...:popcorn: This is not just another of your hell with Jerry's!

LOL ....:muttley:

Hey, that's Cool and da Gang.

You can feel completely free to conjure up any thoughts and beliefs of your own as you'd like.
I'm just echoing the reported related facts as they come in and let you to be aware of it.
It's up to you.

ghst187

Reaction score
Context matters.

He was waaaay overdrafted to be taken 3rd overall.

However, to have his traits and still only be 23, I’ll take that gamble for a 4th rounder, which is precisely the range you draft developmental QBs anyways. He’s worth the minor risk and effort IMO.
I think his ceiling is backup qb and we already had a good one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL ....:muttley:

Hey, that's Cool and da Gang.

You can feel completely free to conjure up any thoughts and beliefs of your own as you'd like.
I'm just echoing the reported related facts as they come in and let you to be aware of it.
It's up to you.
No, you were using me as your whipping boy...smile about that and enjoy your own motives...you brought a non issue to glory, :clap:

Whether East meets West or not...That is a very good GM move....keep score correctly.

As to rock stars to earn it! Try Bob Seger!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think his ceiling is backup qb and we already had a good one.
Talent added, and you have no firm indicator...now he' a Cowboy.

San Francisco has failed before, or do you think that only Jerry can do that?

CCBoy

Reaction score
The autocratic man
Not at all, he follows contract law fully guided by a top legal team. Learn the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code - Federal law) Unlike a former President, the final word on unjust enrichment and legally sufficient contracts.

exciter

Reaction score
This new offense makes the QB nothing more than a bus driver, and Rush can do this as good or better than Dak for a lot less money. This might very well be the reason why Trey was signed. Dak can't be trusted and I think we're seeing signs of this with the play call selection.
Lol!

Mannix

Reaction score
I'd feel a whole lot better if you replaced "would consider moving on" with "will move on"....that's all.

quickccc

Reaction score
No, you were using me as your whipping boy...smile about that and enjoy your own motives...you brought a non issue to glory, :clap:

Whether East meets West or not...That is a very good GM move....keep score correctly.

As to rock stars to earn it! Try Bob Seger!
LOL ! :laugh:

OMG ... is something in da water ..?

Just laying down reported facts, man... not mumbling rants, but reported facts.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL ! :laugh:

OMG ... is something in da water ..?

Just laying down reported facts, man... not mumbling rants, but reported facts.
That very point was an already included on the table Jerry item...Kick San Francisco's butt, backs, heads, arms, legs and make them pay for every last thing gained...dearly!:starspin:

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
We all know it.

As it should be! The Dallas Cowboys are worth a billion Dollars. That's with a B. Who is Jerry supposed to give control of a Billion Dollar empire over to ?

Flamma

Reaction score
With a 61M dead cap, that's not going to happen. Even a June 1st cut isn't good. There's no lipstick or perfume that can make a 61M dead cap look or smell pretty.