Video: ESPN: What kind of contract could Dak Prescott get from the Cowboys?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, they created the monster with their rule changes and now the QB's are the dog and they're the tail. Got a QB wanting out because he didn't have a say on the hiring of the GM or HC. However, according to reports, he was told he would have input on both when he signed that new deal. So, I get that part of it and what a stupid thing to promise.

That's just bad management, to be honest. I mean, players really have no business in the hiring or firing of GMs and HCs. That's just a bad business practice to even entertain. The more I watch Houston, the more I think that they really are clueless in the way a Football team should be run.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's just bad management, to be honest. I mean, players really have no business in the hiring or firing of GMs and HCs. That's just a bad business practice to even entertain. The more I watch Houston, the more I think that they really are clueless in the way a Football team should be run.
Yep, that's a qualified unmatched mess.

However, not the first time a star has had a say in management. Magic started the ball rolling and Elway picked it up. Rodgers pleads innocent with McCarthy but I don't buy that. Star QB's don't usually get in shouting matches on the sideline during a game and everything is copasetic after that. Manning gave Fox the cold shoulder coming off after a TD and he was gone, Elway strikes again.

it's a spin off the old Momma saying. Ain't nobody happy unless the QB is happy,

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yet with those supposed elevated metrics Dak has won only a mere 4.5 games more than Wentz.

Why did I know ahead of time that you would ignore the “with all other things being equal” sentence that I said not once, but twice, because I knew you would ignore it.

but by all means. Ignore the MAJOR difference in turnovers and big difference in passer rating. And focus on “wins” when football is a team sport.

Qcard

Reaction score
LOL....surprise, another Dak lover that goes automatically to trying to insult a veteran.....by the way, you are welcome for my service.
Well, I am a Marine. I've earned the right to "insult" a soldier . Thank You for you service slacker :muttley:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep, that's a qualified unmatched mess.

However, not the first time a star has had a say in management. Magic started the ball rolling and Elway picked it up. Rodgers pleads innocent with McCarthy but I don't buy that. Star QB's don't usually get in shouting matches on the sideline during a game and everything is copasetic after that. Manning gave Fox the cold shoulder coming off after a TD and he was gone, Elway strikes again.

it's a spin off the old Momma saying. Ain't nobody happy unless the QB is happy,

Well, Basketball is a very different story. Only 5 to 7 guys there and it's a lot less physical, less combative between coaches and players. That makes a difference to me.

What GB has done with Rodgers, to me, is a Faustian Bargain. GB has to have a QB like Rodgers to be competitive in FA. They give him a lot and get a certain benefit in return but look at what that gets you now. Rodgers is threatening to leave to force a bigger contract and security but then again, that's why GB drafted Love. GB, IMO, will cut Rodgers loose and get draft capitol for him in return, if it comes down to it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let's compare Dak Prescott's Career Stats to another Quarterback:

Dak Prescott Career Stats (69 Games)

42 Wins 27 Losses (1-2 Playoffs) 1514 Completions 2293 Attempts 66% Comp % 17,634 Yards 106 TD's 40 INT's QB Rate 97.3 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 15 259 Rushes 1,314 Yards 24 Rushing TD's

QB #2 Career Stats (68 Games)

35 Wins 32 Losses 1 Tie (0-1 Playoffs) 1562 Completions 2492 Attempts 62.7% Comp % 16,811 Yards 113 TD's 50 INT's QB Rate 89.2 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 10 258 Rushes 1,061 Yards 8 Rushing TD's

DIFFERENCES

Winning Percentage: Dak +.087 roughly 4 more games won

Comp %: Dak +3.3%

Yards: Dak +823

TD's: QB #2 +7

INT's: Dak +10 (as in less thrown)

QB Rate: Dak +8.1

4th QTR Comebacks: SAME

Game Winning Drives: Dak +5

Rushing Yards: Dak +253

So when looking at Dak compared to QB #2, there are some obvious yet ever so slight differences in terms of passing statistics and team record. So, my question is based on statistics you would think that Dak and QB #2 should be paid similar based on performances at the position as typically that is what players are judged on when seeking a new contract: how they perform at their position compared to others (with of course other variables as well).

For the record, QB #2 is...........Carson Wentz
You are one of those fools that doesn't understand that stats often lie and rarely tell the whole story. Get that mess out of here.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You are one of those fools that doesn't understand that stats often lie and rarely tell the whole story. Get that mess out of here.

LOL....at 1253PM you say ignore you and you will ignore me,....5 minutes later you post this.....get a life lunatic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I mean, I certainly believe that they have made some bad decision along the way, in terms of what they have paid certain players but the perception that it's the front office that has failed to get Dak signed, I'm not so sure I believe that one.
If they were sold on him as they have claimed to be they should have extended him a couple years ago like many of these teams are.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If they were sold on him as they have claimed to be they should have extended him a couple years ago like many of these teams are.

Show me proof that the Cowboys didn't try to sign him. It's Dak and France who have refused to sign every deal in front of them. It was Dak and France that consistently asked for more and more every time Jerry came up to meet their contractual salary demands. I don't believe this is on the team. I believe that this is Dak and France making a decision that gets them to FA as quickly as possible. Why did France demand for three years in the off season last year? Because the team can only tag Dak three times?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Show me proof that the Cowboys didn't try to sign him. It's Dak and France who have refused to sign every deal in front of them. It was Dak and France that consistently asked for more and more every time Jerry came up to meet their contractual salary demands. I don't believe this is on the team. I believe that this is Dak and France making a decision that gets them to FA as quickly as possible. Why did France demand for three years in the off season last year? Because the team can only tag Dak three times?
How many teams offer a QB contract who walk away from it?

It’s up to the franchises to offer a contract they know the QB will accept. The only reason you wouldn’t is because you’re either an idiot or aren’t all in .

Which our dysfunctional ownership publicly has been anything but all in with Dak. So either they are big frikin liars or hypocritical.

Or are just playing to public perception which if that’s the case it’s going to either cost you more money or your QB leaving. You can’t over hype or promote your QB as elite or one of the best then try to offer him a deal less than that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How many teams offer a QB contract who walk away from it?

It’s up to the franchises to offer a contract they know the QB will accept. The only reason you wouldn’t is because you’re either an idiot or aren’t all in .

Which our dysfunctional ownership publicly has been anything but all in with Dak. So either they are big frikin liars or hypocritical.

Or are just playing to public perception which if that’s the case it’s going to either cost you more money or your QB leaving. You can’t over hype or promote your QB as elite or one of the best then try to offer him a deal less than that.

Are we talking about in general or are we talking about clients of France specifically?

For the record, it is not up to the team to offer a contract that a player will accept. That's a bunch of BS. It's up to a team and a GM to offer a contract that does not expose the team or put the teams financials in jeopardy. That's the simple truth and that's not open to interpretation, to be honest. Now, sometimes, a lot of times, those two things meet and you have a deal but sometimes they don't and then you don't. That's not necessarily the fault of the organization. But again, the job of the team is not to offer players whatever they want. That's just not even kinda reasonable. If GMs did that, every single team in every single league would be out of business.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are we talking about in general or are we talking about clients of France specifically?

For the record, it is not up to the team to offer a contract that a player will accept. That's a bunch of BS. It's up to a team and a GM to offer a contract that does not expose the team or put the teams financials in jeopardy. That's the simple truth and that's not open to interpretation, to be honest. Now, sometimes, a lot of times, those two things meet and you have a deal but sometimes they don't and then you don't. That's not necessarily the fault of the organization. But again, the job of the team is not to offer players whatever they want. That's just not even kinda reasonable. If GMs did that, every single team in every single league would be out of business.
That’s not what I meant . The job of the team when it comes to the QB is make them an offer they can’t refuse. It’s the one position that must be over paid.

Now , if you’re not All In on your guy then you try to negotiate. And why my argument is the Cowboys organization says one thing but does another.

You’re focusing on the lesser point of my argument.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s not what I meant . The job of the team when it comes to the QB is make them an offer they can’t refuse. It’s the one position that must be over paid.

Now , if you’re not All In on your guy then you try to negotiate. And why my argument is the Cowboys organization says one thing but does another.

You’re focusing on the lesser point of my argument.

I suppose everybody has an opinion. It pretty much ends here, if your a GM of anything and you basically make decisions that compromise financial stability, you are gone. So no, it's not the job of the team, when it comes to QB or otherwise, to make an offer that said player can't refuse. It's the job of a GM to make sure the team is solid long term. That's it, that's the job. You may think otherwise but that is the job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I suppose everybody has an opinion. It pretty much ends here, if your a GM of anything and you basically make decisions that compromise financial stability, you are gone. So no, it's not the job of the team, when it comes to QB or otherwise, to make an offer that said player can't refuse. It's the job of a GM to make sure the team is solid long term. That's it, that's the job. You may think otherwise but that is the job.
If the GM believes the QB is vital to the teams success then it is their job to get a deal done. Only those who don’t believe our QB is critical for the team being solid long term would disagree.

Which is the basis of my argument. On one hand our dysfunctional organization states they are All In and he’s an Elite QB and in the other hand their offers don’t support.

Cant have it both ways by over hyping your QB then try to get cheap or undercut him. If you tout him as one of the best then you need to pay him as such. Jethro and son are frikin idiots.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry's going to cave. He always does.
That’s certainly how I see it. From the position he’s taken overhyping and promoting his QB as one of the Elites in the league I’m not sure what choice he has. Unless he’s decided Dak isn’t Elite anymore.

It’s the conflict of interest we have with our owner wearing too many hats. It’s tough to negotiate when your promoting on one hand as owner and trying to build a team as GM. It’s part of why our dysfunctional situation is doomed .

Jethro made it clear what our priority is. “ relevant and interesting” . And that’s what Dak provides us. And why our Football Idiots will over pay him. Lol

FVSTONE

Reaction score
JJ needs to hold the line!!!!!!!!!!!! Either it's a team friendly contract or it's "don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out". This team needs too many pieces and can't afford to give out some contract that's going to hamper the clubs ability to sign future FAs. There are a lot of perks playing for America's team and if Dak feels the need to make 36-40 million a year then see ya!!!!!!!!! We all watched Dak come in and kick *** his first season, but the seasons to follow haven't been ANYTHING to write home about. So how the hell is paying Dak a fat *** contract going to get this team to the next level??????? Paying him more money isn't going to enhance the clubs ability to win games, we're still going to be stuck with the same AVERAGE QB.............. JJ needs to throw that QB money at a few defensive pieces and stop with all this Daks our future sh^t. Dak has been here how many years and how many Super Bowls has he gotten us???

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the GM believes the QB is vital to the teams success then it is their job to get a deal done. Only those who don’t believe our QB is critical for the team being solid long term would disagree.

Which is the basis of my argument. On one hand our dysfunctional organization states they are All In and he’s an Elite QB and in the other hand their offers don’t support.

Cant have it both ways by over hyping your QB then try to get cheap or undercut him. If you tout him as one of the best then you need to pay him as such. Jethro and son are frikin idiots.

The team is what is important, not any individual player. That's what's wrong with this entire issue. If you don't like the money, go find a better paying gig. It's as simple as that. The offer is more then fair IMO.

So you are right, you can't have it both ways. You can't have a QB that is making so much money it prevents you from doing other things to improve the team and then complain about Jerry or Stephen not winning. You absolutely can not have it both ways.

See how that works?