Video: ESPN: What kind of contract could Dak Prescott get from the Cowboys?

Sandyf

Reaction score
The Dak threads are going to continue like it or not, and probably even if he signs a long term contract. The contract is either going to happen or not going to happen but nothing is going to happen until the NFL sets the new 2021 cap number. There are a ton of rumors about it with the latest being it will be just north of $185 million (a drop of some $10+ million in 2020) but there is a new TV deal about to be signed, there is a new gambling deal about to happen, a new app that allows fans more access with the NFL and also to bet), and lord knows what else. What will the number finally be? Probably not going to know until around March 15th when teams have the 48 hour window to court free agents before the new NFL year starts on March 17th.

Teams, I believe, have to be under the cap on the 17th in order to sign any free agents and some 14 teams have quite a bit of work to do before it happens.

For Dallas, the Jones, and Dak it makes no sense to finalize a contract until you know what cap number you have to work with come March 17th. A new contract for Dak will probably be in the $37 million a year average or better (some say 40+) but it will all come down to how the contract is structured and the guarantee money. JMO, but I believe it will be a 5 year deal with a Dak option to opt out year 5 or have a some percentage increase he would accept depending on the cap. The guarantee money will be north of $100 million with probably a large bulk of it being bonus money split between two different years (i.e. $40 million that would split into a cap charge of $8 million a year over 5 years, and 2nd bonus in year 3 of $30 million split over 5 years of $6 million a year - note that can be done because it is assumed that the player will extend beyond the end of the contract but if the player does not or is traded/cut then the charge of remaining bonus has to be eaten in that year he is traded/cut or split over 2 years if after June 1st). Then there will be the inevitable roster bonus each year after year one of anywhere from $5 million to $10 million a year.

So you can see the total guarantee or just bonus money being around $110 million not to mention salary that is guarantee. I could see a contract structure like this:
5 year deal $200 million $125 million in guarantees
Year 1 - Salary $5 million Bonus $8 million - Total cap charge $13 million on a 5 years $200 million contract - Cap project at $185 million - 7% of total cap
Year 2 - Salary $15 million Bonus $8 million Roster Bonus $10 million - Total cap charge $34 million - Cap project at $210 million - 16% of total cap
Year 3 - Salary $20 million Bonus $14 million Roster Bonus $5 million - Total cap charge $44 million (second bonus of $30 million kicks in) - Cap project at $240 million - 18% of total cap
Year 4 - Salary $30 million Bonus $14 million Roster Bonus $5 million - Total cap charge $49 million Cap project at $280 million - 17% of total cap
Year 5- Salary $34 million Bonus $14 million - Total cap charge $43 million - Cap project at $308 million - 14% of total cap
*Year 6 - Bonus $6 million - Bonus for year 6 and 7 would fall back to year 5 if no new deal, also depending on opt out clause
*Year 7 - Bonus $6 million - Dallas could cut or trade Dak after year 3 for a cap charge of $40 million, after year 4 for a cap charge of $28 million

This is just an example of how a contract could be structured. Cap projections came from how the union addressed the cap not going up the usually in 2021 (which would have been around $215 million in 2021). If most remember it was to increase dramatically after 2021 with the new TV and betting deals.

Qcard

Reaction score
Let's compare Dak Prescott's Career Stats to another Quarterback:

Dak Prescott Career Stats (69 Games)

42 Wins 27 Losses (1-2 Playoffs) 1514 Completions 2293 Attempts 66% Comp % 17,634 Yards 106 TD's 40 INT's QB Rate 97.3 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 15 259 Rushes 1,314 Yards 24 Rushing TD's

QB #2 Career Stats (68 Games)

35 Wins 32 Losses 1 Tie (0-1 Playoffs) 1562 Completions 2492 Attempts 62.7% Comp % 16,811 Yards 113 TD's 50 INT's QB Rate 89.2 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 10 258 Rushes 1,061 Yards 8 Rushing TD's

DIFFERENCES

Winning Percentage: Dak +.087 roughly 4 more games won

Comp %: Dak +3.3%

Yards: Dak +823

TD's: QB #2 +7

INT's: Dak +10 (as in less thrown)

QB Rate: Dak +8.1

4th QTR Comebacks: SAME

Game Winning Drives: Dak +5

Rushing Yards: Dak +253

So when looking at Dak compared to QB #2, there are some obvious yet ever so slight differences in terms of passing statistics and team record. So, my question is based on statistics you would think that Dak and QB #2 should be paid similar based on performances at the position as typically that is what players are judged on when seeking a new contract: how they perform at their position compared to others (with of course other variables as well).

For the record, QB #2 is...........Carson Wentz
Shocking a "soldier" finds no value is Leadership..

You are an elloquent Dak Hater...

Qcard

Reaction score
The Dak threads are going to continue like it or not, and probably even if he signs a long term contract. The contract is either going to happen or not going to happen but nothing is going to happen until the NFL sets the new 2021 cap number. There are a ton of rumors about it with the latest being it will be just north of $185 million (a drop of some $10+ million in 2020) but there is a new TV deal about to be signed, there is a new gambling deal about to happen, a new app that allows fans more access with the NFL and also to bet), and lord knows what else. What will the number finally be? Probably not going to know until around March 15th when teams have the 48 hour window to court free agents before the new NFL year starts on March 17th.

Teams, I believe, have to be under the cap on the 17th in order to sign any free agents and some 14 teams have quite a bit of work to do before it happens.

For Dallas, the Jones, and Dak it makes no sense to finalize a contract until you know what cap number you have to work with come March 17th. A new contract for Dak will probably be in the $37 million a year average or better (some say 40+) but it will all come down to how the contract is structured and the guarantee money. JMO, but I believe it will be a 5 year deal with a Dak option to opt out year 5 or have a some percentage increase he would accept depending on the cap. The guarantee money will be north of $100 million with probably a large bulk of it being bonus money split between two different years (i.e. $40 million that would split into a cap charge of $8 million a year over 5 years, and 2nd bonus in year 3 of $30 million split over 5 years of $6 million a year - note that can be done because it is assumed that the player will extend beyond the end of the contract but if the player does not or is traded/cut then the charge of remaining bonus has to be eaten in that year he is traded/cut or split over 2 years if after June 1st). Then there will be the inevitable roster bonus each year after year one of anywhere from $5 million to $10 million a year.

So you can see the total guarantee or just bonus money being around $110 million not to mention salary that is guarantee. I could see a contract structure like this:
Year 1 - Salary $5 million Bonus $8 million - Total cap charge $13 million on a 5 years $200 million contract - Cap project at $185 million - 7% of total cap
Year 2 - Salary $15 million Bonus $8 million Roster Bonus $10 million - Total cap charge $34 million - Cap project at $210 million - 16% of total cap
Year 3 - Salary $20 million Bonus $14 million Roster Bonus $5 million - Total cap charge $44 million (second bonus of $30 million kicks in) - Cap project at $240 million - 18% of total cap
Year 4 - Salary $30 million Bonus $14 million Roster Bonus $5 million - Total cap charge $49 million Cap project at $280 million - 17% of total cap
Year 5- Salary $34 million Bonus $14 million - Total cap charge $43 million - Cap project at $308 million - 14% of total cap
*Year 6 - Bonus $6 million - Bonus for year 6 and 7 would fall back to year 5 if no new deal, also depending on opt out clause
*Year 7 - Bonus $6 million - Dallas could cut or trade Dak after year 3 for a cap charge of $40 million, after year 4 for a cap charge of $28 million

This is just an example of how a contract could be structured. Cap projections came from how the union addressed the cap not going up the usually in 2021 (which would have been around $215 million in 2021). If most remember it was to increase dramatically after 2021 with the new TV and betting deals.
Does your breakdown allocate at least $90M guaranteed in year 2021 and 2022?

I think this will be the sticking point. It equates to Franchise Tags 2021 and 2022

Great post

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yet another child responding.
So, now you think you are the global purveyor of what is childish and what is not? How narcissistic of you. Anything that is contrary to your own opinion is now childish because you say so. Nice. :rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I find the "time ran out" excuse implausible. I have never heard of that happening in the history of sports negotiations and all parties know the deadlines.

I think that was part of the plan to keep Prescott from being the "bad guy". Do you recall the reaction here when that happened? Posters were mad at France and taking up for Prescott that he was willing to do the deal. I think as long as the deal was 5 years, they had no intention of taking it.

I do agree with you, if that actually happened then France should have been fired immediately but he wasn't and still hasn't been. Prescott keeps the good guy, albeit greedy, image intact and the fans don't rain down on him.

Then, there is the possibility that I could be completely wrong. And I have witnesses to that in the past.

Agreed. I don't believe there was ever any intention of getting this deal done last year. I honestly believe that Dak and France want to get to FA and if they have to ride the tag to do it, then that's what they will do.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cowboy fans...the culprit in all of this is our dysfunctional organization.

I'm not so sure. I mean, I certainly believe that they have made some bad decision along the way, in terms of what they have paid certain players but the perception that it's the front office that has failed to get Dak signed, I'm not so sure I believe that one.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Caron Palmer said it best!

“I love Dak’s game. I think he’s great. I think he shouldn’t shoot for the moon (on his next contract),” Palmer said on Shan and RJ. “Being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback, there’s a lot that comes with that financially. So, you don’t have to be the top-paid quarterback in the league. You can make as much as the top-paid quarterback in the league when you’re the Dallas Cowboys quarterback if you do take less. Because, if you win in Dallas, look at today’s television networks. You got Troy Aikman (Fox analyst), Jason Witten (former Monday Night Football analyst) and Tony Romo (CBS analyst) all on nationally televised games. Partially, because of their playing careers, but a majority of that is because they played for the Dallas Cowboys.

They are a household name. You’ve seen Dak on tons of commercials and endorsements. You can make that same top-tier money if you’re Dak and you take a little bit less, and you keep all the players around you within the salary cap structure.” https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-prescott/ar-BB1doK5g?ocid=U452DHP&li=BBnbfcL

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't believe there was ever any intention of getting this deal done last year. I honestly believe that Dak and France want to get to FA and if they have to ride the tag to do it, then that's what they will do.

JMO

Exactamundo, when you stick to your initial offer and do not negotiate down you pretty much have made your intentions known. You have no interest and are willing to roll the dice in FA. Especially once you made it personal with the owner of the team. You know how Jerry can be freaking stubborn. As will be the case this offseason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Exactamundo, when you stick to your initial offer and do not negotiate down you pretty much have made your intentions known. You have no interest and are willing to roll the dice in FA. Especially once you made it personal with the owner of the team. You know how Jerry can be freaking stubborn. As will be the case this offseason.

This actually goes past Dak and this negotiation. This has been personal with Jerry since the Romo negotiations. I wished I could find the article that discussed this, back then. Basically Jerry does not like France and would have simply not dealt with him if not for Romo. There is a lot of history there apparently.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Let's compare Dak Prescott's Career Stats to another Quarterback:

Dak Prescott Career Stats (69 Games)

42 Wins 27 Losses (1-2 Playoffs) 1514 Completions 2293 Attempts 66% Comp % 17,634 Yards 106 TD's 40 INT's QB Rate 97.3 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 15 259 Rushes 1,314 Yards 24 Rushing TD's

QB #2 Career Stats (68 Games)

35 Wins 32 Losses 1 Tie (0-1 Playoffs) 1562 Completions 2492 Attempts 62.7% Comp % 16,811 Yards 113 TD's 50 INT's QB Rate 89.2 4th QTR Comebacks 9 Game Winning Drives 10 258 Rushes 1,061 Yards 8 Rushing TD's

DIFFERENCES

Winning Percentage: Dak +.087 roughly 4 more games won

Comp %: Dak +3.3%

Yards: Dak +823

TD's: QB #2 +7

INT's: Dak +10 (as in less thrown)

QB Rate: Dak +8.1

4th QTR Comebacks: SAME

Game Winning Drives: Dak +5

Rushing Yards: Dak +253

So when looking at Dak compared to QB #2, there are some obvious yet ever so slight differences in terms of passing statistics and team record. So, my question is based on statistics you would think that Dak and QB #2 should be paid similar based on performances at the position as typically that is what players are judged on when seeking a new contract: how they perform at their position compared to others (with of course other variables as well).

For the record, QB #2 is...........Carson Wentz

to be honest. Some of the differences in key metrics like passer rating.

and the difference in overall TD’s passing and rushing. Verses ints and fumbles (Wentz fumbles a ton).

Actually for their careers. Dak has 34 fumbles. Wentz has 59. So with Dak playing one more game he has 25 less fumbles. Yes that’s right. 25 less fumbles. In one more game
Played.

they aren’t “slight differences”.

In terms of the NFL the passer rating and TD to turnover ratio difference between Dak and Wentz is the difference between winning and losing a lot of games, with all other things being equal.

Key being. With all other things being equal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

That would be a horrible contract. You could end up eating a dead cap charge of 26 million and have nothing at all to show for it after 4 years. Plus, you have no idea what the cap will be in year 5. I don't know how you can even start to make a projection of 308 mil when you don't even know how long Covid will last and how much the league will have to spend, just to keep the cap afloat. I don't know how you project a growth of 40% against the current proposed cap number of 185, if you can't account for those variables.

I would not do that deal were I Jerry but I'm not so I guess we'll see.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

JMO
I agree with that and have from the beginning. I think Prescott believes he can make the money with several different teams that might be more orthodox in how they run the club.

And when you look at the construction of this team and attention to the O side of the ball, it's the perfect place to showcase his talents.

Somewhere in their discussions, France and Prescott talked about projected caps and climbing %'s that the QB position is dragging off that. The sticking point on the length of the contract had a lot to do with the year 2024 and I wonder if that's still the target and he will now only agree to a 3 year deal.

The number 100B is being thrown around with the next TV/streaming deal, which in simple math (which I realize does not apply here, it will escalate) works out to 312,500,000 per club per year just with the rights fees and does not factor in gambling. These agents are looking at some big numbers with the QB's drawing down a disproportionate amount of the increase.

It's incredible to think that QB's salaries have doubled in the last 8 years and show no signs of slowing. And Rodgers is under his present contract through 2023 and 33M is just not paying the rent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with that and have from the beginning. I think Prescott believes he can make the money with several different teams that might be more orthodox in how they run the club.

And when you look at the construction of this team and attention to the O side of the ball, it's the perfect place to showcase his talents.

Somewhere in their discussions, France and Prescott talked about projected caps and climbing %'s that the QB position is dragging off that. The sticking point on the length of the contract had a lot to do with the year 2024 and I wonder if that's still the target and he will now only agree to a 3 year deal.

The number 100B is being thrown around with the next TV/streaming deal, which in simple math (which I realize does not apply here, it will escalate) works out to 312,500,000 per club per year just with the rights fees and does not factor in gambling. These agents are looking at some big numbers with the QB's drawing down a disproportionate amount of the increase.

It's incredible to think that QB's salaries have doubled in the last 8 years and show no signs of slowing. And Rodgers is under his present contract through 2023 and 33M is just not paying the rent.

I've been fairly successful in my life, with regards to business. I suppose you could say that I've been lucky but I'll tell you this, the numbers that are apparently being discussed, I would never trust. I think the market is entirely too volatile. I think we could see the bottom fall out at some point and that would be death stroke for a lot of owners in the NFL. I see the owners normalizing the QB salaries before the numbers increase too much more. I think we are already seeing it to be honest.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been fairly successful in my life, with regards to business. I suppose you could say that I've been lucky but I'll tell you this, the numbers that are apparently being discussed, I would never trust. I think the market is entirely too volatile. I think we could see the bottom fall out at some point and that would be death stroke for a lot of owners in the NFL. I see the owners normalizing the QB salaries before the numbers increase too much more. I think we are already seeing it to be honest.
We will know better when Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and Murray get their 2nd contracts.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We will know better when Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and Murray get their 2nd contracts.

We can only hope. I mean, I could also see a lot of these lemming owners just following the last guy right off a cliff. But either way, I don't see Jerry walking away on this one. I had hoped that he and Stephen would be sensible in terms of negotiating this contract with Dak but I'm starting to get the feeling that they are gonna just bit the bullet and do a bad deal here.

I guess we'll see.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Shocking a "soldier" finds no value is Leadership..

You are an elloquent Dak Hater...

LOL....surprise, another Dak lover that goes automatically to trying to insult a veteran.....by the way, you are welcome for my service.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So, now you think you are the global purveyor of what is childish and what is not? How narcissistic of you. Anything that is contrary to your own opinion is now childish because you say so. Nice. :rolleyes:

Really? You and your minions always attack anyone that dares question Dak so spare me the faux outrage.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can only hope. I mean, I could also see a lot of these lemming owners just following the last guy right off a cliff. But either way, I don't see Jerry walking away on this one. I had hoped that he and Stephen would be sensible in terms of negotiating this contract with Dak but I'm starting to get the feeling that they are gonna just bit the bullet and do a bad deal here.

I guess we'll see.
Well, they created the monster with their rule changes and now the QB's are the dog and they're the tail. Got a QB wanting out because he didn't have a say on the hiring of the GM or HC. However, according to reports, he was told he would have input on both when he signed that new deal. So, I get that part of it and what a stupid thing to promise.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
to be honest. Some of the differences in key metrics like passer rating.

and the difference in overall TD’s passing and rushing. Verses ints and fumbles (Wentz fumbles a ton).

Actually for their careers. Dak has 34 fumbles. Wentz has 59. So with Dak playing one more game he has 25 less fumbles. Yes that’s right. 25 less fumbles. In one more game
Played.

they aren’t “slight differences”.

In terms of the NFL the passer rating and TD to turnover ratio difference between Dak and Wentz is the difference between winning and losing a lot of games, with all other things being equal.

Key being. With all other things being equal.

Yet with those supposed elevated metrics Dak has won only a mere 4.5 games more than Wentz.