News: ESPND: Chargers DE: Key is rattling Tony Romo

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's funny about both the ESPN and the SD articles are the dry tones of the writers implying that while all the talk is good, the Chargers have shown no ability to stop anyone. I can appreciate their subtle humor.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
ep 26
9:00
AM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Getting into the head of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is apparently the key to the San Diego Chargers' game plan this week.

“We know that once he’s rattled and whatnot, it’s easy to take him out of the game,” Chargers defensive end Corey Liuget said, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. That’s a pretty bold statement from a member of a defense that ranks dead last in the NFL against the pass and has forced a grand total of one turnover in three games.

To hear Liuget tell it, Romo has benefitted from a dumbed-down Dallas offense this season.

“It’s a simple offense,” Liuget said, according to the Union-Tribune. “They don’t do too many plays. The key is to definitely hit Romo early and try to take Romo out of the game and put the ball in [DeMarco Murray's] hands.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4715844/chargers-de-key-is-rattling-tony-romo

Whats their next game plan, to score more points? I r is riveted, intriqued and down right looking for easier words to spell. Do tell us Mr DE, do you plan on stopping our offense, or just letting Romo carve you up?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Not to mention when teo gets on the field he will be required to chase witten around.

Last week ogletree the rookie lb was lost covering tight ends.

Yeah, and Te'o has practiced for all of about half an hour this year, so Witten might give him a tad of trouble.

Honestly, with the way the Dallas offensive line has been playing... I don't know that it's such a great idea to build your defensive game plan around getting to the QB.

If that's what they want to hang their hat on, well, that's fine. However, if they play straight up defense and they don't get to Tony, they're going to think they got tossed into a blender. They better have a damn good plan for Bryant too, because if you don't spend about half of your total secondary resources on stopping Dez, he will absolutely run wild on you. And while they're spending all of that brain power on stopping the passing game, I hope they came up with a way to slow Murray down too, because if you consistently give him the edge, he'll drop a 100 on you quick.

For their sake, I hope Liuget and his unit are in good cardiovascular shape, because they're gonna need to be.

If they don't respect Tony and his offense... I think they will by Sunday night.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Stupid article. The game plan of every defense is to rattle the opposing QB.

I am right there with you.

But I will play withe article. When Romo gets rattled and abused he is more likely to fold up. No, I didn't say every time. He will throw in an intentional grounding, get careless with the ball etc.

I have seen Eli and Rodgers come back to touch teams. Eli has historically taken a "rattling" from us only to come back and win game at the end,

Just trying to be objective. Not a Romo hater or hard core supporter. Just the way I see it.

He is our QB... I only root for him to succeed. For some an agenda gets in the way. Not me. WIN, ROMO, WIN!

bark

Reaction score
Surely this article will get posted front and center in the cowboys lockeroom

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Romo is not one of the Jake Pummer/Bret Favre types. I have yet to see him rattled out of his game. Even when Minny beat the snot out of the OL a few years back. He makes something out of nothing with the best of them.

erod

Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

If you want to win at football, you need to get away from the blocker man and tackle the thrower man?

I wish I was brilliant enough to figure this stuff out myself.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Romo is not one of the Jake Pummer/Bret Favre types. I have yet to see him rattled out of his game. Even when Minny beat the snot out of the OL a few years back. He makes something out of nothing with the best of them.

In 2010 the titans got him five times in the first half and he was pretty beaten up, the second half he was outstanding.

Manning got the same treatment last week for the first time against Carolina, he has never had protection issues like romo has. And he looked awful.

Romo is fine in adverse spots.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I would agree with him if he was watching last years romo,our oline is playing much better though.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

If you want to win at football, you need to get away from the blocker man and tackle the thrower man?

I wish I was brilliant enough to figure this stuff out myself.

I think you are also suppose to get that weirdly shaped thing with laces, somewhere around where that yellow thing stuck into the ground is, that looks like a pitch fork with a few pieces missing.

At least as near as I can tell.

Plankton

Reaction score
Talk is cheap. Just go out and win the game.

Keeping your foot on the throat of the rest of the division is motivation enough. What the Chargers, a 1-2 team, say has little or nothing to do with preparation. Preparation and execution will win this game, not talk.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like San Diego is eating the cheese. The Cowboys are better than the perception.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing opposing locker rooms completely disrespect the offense by calling it "simple".

ethiostar

Reaction score
LOL

If Romo is rattled, it certainly won’t be by anything he studies in the film room this week.

“It’s a simple offense,” Liuget said. “They don’t do too many plays. The key is to definitely hit Romo early and try to take Romo out of the game and put the ball in (running back DeMarco Murray’s) hands.”

In that the Chargers defense is only allowing the NFL's fifth-most rushing yards, as opposed to its NFL-worst pass defense, that's probably a sound plan.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing opposing locker rooms completely disrespect the offense by calling it "simple".

Who cares? Let them talk. It doesn't win games.

Lombardi's offense was as simple as it gets. Norv's offense wasn't exactly nuclear physics. If you execute, the simplicity doesn't matter.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Who cares? Let them talk. It doesn't win games.

Lombardi's offense was as simple as it gets. Norv's offense wasn't exactly nuclear physics. If you execute, the simplicity doesn't matter.

Exactly right, Gibbs ran the same running play over and over again and said stop it if you can.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
For this offense to succeed, we must be able to protect Romo for up to 3 seconds EVEN WHEN the other team brings pressure (5-6 blitzers). I believe against a team like the Chargers, we have the personnel to handle that, in which case our skill players MUST make them play. St. Louis screwed up by coming out already prepared to get beat, and spent so much time defending the big play through the air that they ignored the big plays on the ground. We reacted just fine to that and stayed with it, allowing us to run it up on them.

I do NOT think that the Chargers are going to start that way. I think they'll try to crowd the line early, in which case Romo MUST make them pay. My biggest beef with Romo now is that three games in, he REALLY needs to trust the protection. He is getting better time in the pocket than he may have had since 2007, if not better in his career. Exploit that and attack. When they back off, then move back into the St. Louis plan and run it down their throat.

My problem against the chiefs is that in the 4th quarter, we allowed them to bully us on the line. I do think it had something to do with Romo's ribs, but that's just no excuse. Make the defense pick the poison, and then use that poison against them.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Crowd the line? Fine, let's see if you can defend Austin in a deep in, or Escobar up the seam with a rookie LB who is slower than some DL.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Liuget said:
It’s a simple offense
Ok, so the Chargers defense shouldn't have any excuses when we hang 20-30 points on them, right? If it's such a "simple offense", then they should have no problem shutting us down to 17 points or fewer. Seems like this defense backs up their talk with some SOLID play, they're ranked dead last against passing, frightening. :eek:

I'm far more worried about their offense, their defense is garbage. :cool: