Euro Cup 2021

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Exactly my point lol. Diving is available in NFL flavours too.
It’s not just diving. I think it is an over-reaction to most things. A lot of it isn’t “diving” but legitimate pain that takes a minute or so to get over. Imagine how people act when they stub their toe in the middle of the night or hit their funny bone. Very innocent looking things that end up hurting like hell for a bit. These guys are running around and getting their ankles, knees and shins dinged up by other elite athletes and while they may seem innocent enough on TV, it takes a little bit of time to recover. Also, doesn’t take much of a clip of the foot to cause someone to fall down, especially if running at full speed. A lot of “flopping” is legit, but may have a tad of over-acting to sell the severity sometimes.

Maybe a better analogy is a baseball player that hits the ball into his own foot and takes a few minutes to walk it off.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s not just diving. I think it is an over-reaction to most things. A lot of it isn’t “diving” but legitimate pain that takes a minute or so to get over. Imagine how people act when they stub their toe in the middle of the night or hit their funny bone. Very innocent looking things that end up hurting like hell for a bit. These guys are running around and getting their ankles, knees and shins dinged up by other elite athletes and while they may seem innocent enough on TV, it takes a little bit of time to recover. Also, doesn’t take much of a clip of the foot to cause someone to fall down, especially if running at full speed. A lot of “flopping” is legit, but may have a tad of over-acting to sell the severity sometimes.

Maybe a better analogy is a baseball player that hits the ball into his own foot and takes a few minutes to walk it off.

Oh for sure, but there are some overzealous diving in all sports too.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Anyone who talks about diving has never played football. When you run full speed. The slightest knock will take you down. Italy earned that win. Never gave up. Away from home.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Best actor in the world is Italian. Just saying. Leonardo DiCaprio. Al Pacino. Etc

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No one can say Italy didn’t deserve the win tonight or the cup in general! Forza Azzurri

Oh for sure, especially considering that Southgate made some Jason Garrett-levels of stupid decisions as a manager. Ultra-conservative, played defence far too long, and having a 19 year old go out for the 5th kick to, practically, have all of England on his foot. That was idiotic.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh for sure, especially considering that Southgate made some Jason Garrett-levels of stupid decisions as a manager. Ultra-conservative, played defence far too long, and having a 19 year old go out for the 5th kick to, practically, have all of England on his foot. That was idiotic.
You need experience there. Jesus. Jorginho missed a penalty

csirl

Reaction score
Manager puts on 2 x players solely for the penalty shootout. Neither of them score - that's on the manager.

The unorthodox run ups for some of the missed penalties is also on the manager - obviously practised in advance - trying to be too clever. Its much more likely that you wont hit the ball well and accurately when you dont use a normal run up. Think about a golfer putting a weird unnecessary motion mid way through his swing. Also, when you are under pressure, its better to keep it simple and instinctive.

Flamma

Reaction score

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good comparison too. The only reason that batter isn't rolling on the ground is because a little acting isn't advantageous.

NFL is a different sport. If someone is on the ground clutching their leg, they're probably badly injured.

Skullmiester

Reaction score
Well done Italy, the best team won in the end, all the way through they have found a way to win and did it again last night, full respect and congrats to them

I wouldn't have brought two players on cold just to take a penalty when they aren't properly walmed, it was a risk which backfired.

Southgate had a great tournament but when it really mattered he came up short, everyone new Italy were going to score at some point but we just sat back trying to hang on. We had a host of players with pace who were fresh and could have really made a difference but he decided to stick with the core of players he has used throughout and they didn't have the energy.

Re Pickford shouting, that's how he motivates himself and it also keeps his defence on their toes - he also shouts his support to them when they block a cross or make a tackle but we don't see the close ups of those moments as it isn't as good a story.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best TEAM won, but England had more than enough talent to win. I was baffled Southgate brought in Sancho and Rashford in the final minute of OT to get them penalty kicks. Its unfair to those guys who were sitting on butt for 119 minutes and then expect them to perform .......... if Southgate had so much confidence in them, why were they on the bench all game? By not playing them, Southgate was sending the message that he did not trust them in the game, but then he throws into the fire at the end? Makes no sense. But worst decision was putting a 19 year kid who was having a bad game in the 5th spot with the weight of a nation on his shoulders. Baffling choice.

Flamma

Reaction score
The best TEAM won, but England had more than enough talent to win. I was baffled Southgate brought in Sancho and Rashford in the final minute of OT to get them penalty kicks. Its unfair to those guys who were sitting on butt for 119 minutes and then expect them to perform .......... if Southgate had so much confidence in them, why were they on the bench all game? By not playing them, Southgate was sending the message that he did not trust them in the game, but then he throws into the fire at the end? Makes no sense. But worst decision was putting a 19 year kid who was having a bad game in the 5th spot with the weight of a nation on his shoulders. Baffling choice.

They did. For the first 20 minutes I thought they were playing as well or better.

The kid that missed at the end. That was too big of a spot for him. But remember when an Italian dragged him down by his shirt towards the end? I forget if it was regulation or extra time. But he would have had a good run had the Italian not done that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They did. For the first 20 minutes I thought they were playing as well or better.

The kid that missed at the end. That was too big of a spot for him. But remember when an Italian dragged him down by his shirt towards the end? I forget if it was regulation or extra time. But he would have had a good run had the Italian not done that.

Maybe but he was miserable for most of his time on the field. Certainly did nothing to indicate he belonged out there in place of Sancho and Rashford.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hate to see the final go to kicks.
Italy played better and deserved the win. They played the best tourney.
Definitely a team who was better than the collective talent of individual players because guys excelled in their roles.

Southgate had roster mgmt issues all tourney but it cost him in the Final.
If you sub on pure penalty takers you do so with 10 minutes left and then get them touches.
Sub on Henderson only to sub him back off? Nonce.

No way in Hades you ask a 19 year old to take the 5th penalty in a major Final. That's egregiously bad managing.

The flopping is strategic and often smart. It gets players rest and potentially awarded with free kicks.
But not everything that appears a flop, is. These guys are wearing metal spikes. Getting grazed by those hurts bad.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hate to see the final go to kicks.
Italy played better and deserved the win. They played the best tourney.
Definitely a team who was better than the collective talent of individual players because guys excelled in their roles.

Southgate had roster mgmt issues all tourney but it cost him in the Final.
If you sub on pure penalty takers you do so with 10 minutes left and then get them touches.
Sub on Henderson only to sub him back off? Nonce.

No way in Hades you ask a 19 year old to take the 5th penalty in a major Final. That's egregiously bad managing.

The flopping is strategic and often smart. It gets players rest and potentially awarded with free kicks.
But not everything that appears a flop, is. These guys are wearing metal spikes. Getting grazed by those hurts bad.

As someone cheering for England, Southgate of all the managers in the tourney should've known better than to put a 19 year old on to take a penalty that would either keep England shooting or send England out. He was in secondary school last time the World Cup was played. The poor boy can't even drink a beer in America, and Southgate of all people decided to put him in there with all of England on his foot? Absolutely stupid! That said, as an England fan, I will hold my head high given how far England got. I think we will get better from it, and, well, for once I trust the process. With the World Cup next December, I think England should be confident heading into that tourney, and well done to the players for deciding to donate the prize money to the National Health Service. And, to Saka (the 19 year old), well done to him for being brave enough to step up to take that penalty. I could never have stepped into that situation with England's hopes on my foot. I'd probably have collapsed in fear before I even made it to the penalty spot in that situation. He's a brave boy for even taking that on.