Euro Cup 2021

Flamma

Reaction score
As someone cheering for England, Southgate of all the managers in the tourney should've known better than to put a 19 year old on to take a penalty that would either keep England shooting or send England out. He was in secondary school last time the World Cup was played. The poor boy can't even drink a beer in America, and Southgate of all people decided to put him in there with all of England on his foot? Absolutely stupid! That said, as an England fan, I will hold my head high given how far England got. I think we will get better from it, and, well, for once I trust the process. With the World Cup next December, I think England should be confident heading into that tourney, and well done to the players for deciding to donate the prize money to the National Health Service. And, to Saka (the 19 year old), well done to him for being brave enough to step up to take that penalty. I could never have stepped into that situation with England's hopes on my foot. I'd probably have collapsed in fear before I even made it to the penalty spot in that situation. He's a brave boy for even taking that on.

Agreed. Penalty shots seem to be a game separate from the actual game. Provided bad decisions aren't made, it's still the mentally tougher team that usually gets through. Italy won two shootouts in a row. This despite being the first team to miss. That isn't coincidence or luck for those that think penalty kicks are no different than a coin toss. But yeah, I would not have wanted to be in that 19 year old's situation either. Crazy pressure. Didn't Henry of France miss his must score kick? A lot of examples like that over the years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed. Penalty shots seem to be a game separate from the actual game. Provided bad decisions aren't made, it's still the mentally tougher team that usually gets through. Italy won two shootouts in a row. This despite being the first team to miss. That isn't coincidence or luck for those that think penalty kicks are no different than a coin toss. But yeah, I would not have wanted to be in that 19 year old's situation either. Crazy pressure. Didn't Henry of France miss his must score kick? A lot of examples like that over the years.

I see it sort of like the Overtime in the NFL. The coin toss makes it a crapshoot just like penalties in Euro football. I would not want to be in his situation either.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If you are referring to 2006, it was Trezeguet

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Shootouts are usually about the goalies. Pickford is a fine goalie but Donnaruma is probably the best goalie in the world right now. Italy had a big advantage going into the shootout. But that should not excuse the poor choicest Southgate made in picking 2 guys who sat on the bench all night and a 19 year old in his top 5 penalty takers.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I got the players confused. I meant to say Mbappe. Remember Baggio in '94? A lot of pressure in that shot. Even the best can crack.
For sure. Baggio also had a bad hamstring in that game.

All i know is after how the fans in england acted they shouldnt ever be allowed to host anything football related again.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For sure. Baggio also had a bad hamstring in that game.

All i know is after how the fans in england acted they shouldnt ever be allowed to host anything football related again.

So, you are are a believer in group punishment. If a guy you don't know but happen to be standing next to turns out to be an arsonist, you and everyone else he's ever met or happened upon should be held accountable and punished.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-mural-covered-with-messages-of-support-video

Forget the thousands who put messages of support on his mural. We should judge the entire nation of England by the one moron who defaced the bulletin board. :facepalm:

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
So, you are are a believer in group punishment. If a guy you don't know but happen to be standing next to turns out to be an internet troll, you should still be held accountable and punished. :facepalm:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-mural-covered-with-messages-of-support-video

Forget the thousands who put messages of support on his mural. We should judge them by the one moron who defaced the bulletin board.
English fans have proven time and time again they cant handle this. I have videos of english fans physically assaulting anyone wearing blue, a 60 year old man beating up a child. Shall I continue? No offense my dude but the english get a bad rep because of their fans. Players are class and always have been. The players, the coach, the players, legends told the fans not to boo the anthem. What did they do? lol. Keep defending these people. My english buddies agree with me. England should never host anything soccer related again.