Euro Cup 2021

Majic

Reaction score
Quick thoughts, England lost there way towards the end of the first half, there was a big problem down the right hand side that took too long to be corrected. Not sure about the choice of England's penalty takers, Well Done Italy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Quick thoughts, England lost there way towards the end of the first half, there was a big problem down the right hand side that took too long to be corrected. Not sure about the choice of England's penalty takers, Well Done Italy.

Indeed, well done Italy, but I have no clue what Southgate was playing at. We're winning 2 minutes in, and he goes ultra-conservative? True Jason Garrett-style. Rather than attack harder and take advantage of the lead and the fact the Italians would be pressing to try to equalize, he decides to pull back.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Indeed, well done Italy, but I have no clue what Southgate was playing at. We're winning 2 minutes in, and he goes ultra-conservative? True Jason Garrett-style. Rather than attack harder and take advantage of the lead and the fact the Italians would be pressing to try to equalize, he decides to pull back.

It'd be like McCarthy telling Dak to take a knee every down after the first TD to run clock. Absolutely stupid. It's good to run clock, but keep the pressure on to try to extend the lead! A bit more offense would've been nice.

Majic

Reaction score
Yes, we didn't exploit any space, we couldn't get behind them very well. Sterling was a non-factor and Kane was dropping off deep like earlier in the tournament. The bold move would hav ebenn to put Grealish on just after half-time

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The soccer at this level is really a beautiful thing to see. The things they can do with the ball are just unbelievable to me. They must’ve all started out kicking the ball while in the womb. Some things take away from it. Obviously the floppy. It’s just sad and takes away from the beauty of the game. The England goal keeper *****ing at his own players constantly was ugly. Get his *** out there and run as many miles as they do during a game. I really didn’t have a favorite team and just enjoy watching this level of soccer but after seeing that I was pulling for Italy in the shootout. And the players arguing with the coach. Just ugly. Other than that, it was a great game and a great tournament.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, we didn't exploit any space, we couldn't get behind them very well. Sterling was a non-factor and Kane was dropping off deep like earlier in the tournament. The bold move would hav ebenn to put Grealish on just after half-time

Exactly, that'd been at least a more aggressive move. Take advantage of the lead. Worst case scenario if you concede a goal, you can put a bit more defence on, but the Italian defence was reeling after the first goal! Take advantage of it! What's the worst that can happen? This?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The soccer at this level is really a beautiful thing to see. The things they can do with the ball are just unbelievable to me. They must’ve all started out kicking the ball while in the womb. Some things take away from it. Obviously the floppy. It’s just sad and takes away from the beauty of the game. The England goal keeper *****ing at his own players constantly was ugly. Get his *** out there and run as many miles as they do during a game. I really didn’t have a favorite team and just enjoy watching this level of soccer but after seeing that I was pulling for Italy in the shootout. And the players arguing with the coach. Just ugly. Other than that, it was a great game and a great tournament.

To be fair, I think it was more of the fact that the team wasn't being aggressive. Like I said, it'd be like McCarthy telling Dak to take a knee or full back dives on 2nd and 10 just to drain clock after the first TD and leaving it up to the defence. It might work against weaker teams, but the smarter move is, once you have the lead, stay aggressive and build the lead. I think that's why there was disgruntlement between the players and Southgate.

Flamma

Reaction score
It'd be like McCarthy telling Dak to take a knee every down after the first TD to run clock. Absolutely stupid. It's good to run clock, but keep the pressure on to try to extend the lead! A bit more offense would've been nice.

To me it looked like England started doing that at around 20-25 minutes in. Because I remember thinking this Italian team is not the one I saw playing Spain. I really don't know what happened after that. But up until that point I thought England looked better.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To me it looked like England started doing that at around 20-25 minutes in. Because I remember thinking this Italian team is not the one I saw playing Spain. I really don't know what happened after that. But up until that point I thought England looked better.

That is about right. About the 20th minute, we started playing Jason Garrett-style, and, well, Jason Garrett results happened.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Goalies do that all the time. Most players will just ignore it. As far as floppy is concerned to us it is unAmerican but to Europeans and especially South Americans it did just part of the game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Goalies do that all the time. Most players will just ignore it. As far as floppy is concerned to us it is unAmerican but to Europeans and especially South Americans it did just part of the game.

Not to mention it's becoming common in the NFL too. It's just sports nowadays. It doesn't matter the sport. How many players flop in the NFL to draw a hold? Quite a few I'd imagine. We've seen players take a dive in the NFL for penalty flags. I don't think it's fair to restrict that to just football.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Highs aren’t as high, lows aren’t as low. Happy Italy won. Was ecstatic just being in the finals, win or lose, just to have skin in the game. Party was awesome as even non-soccer fans had a good time. They eventually got wrapped up into the drama. Helpfully the Cowboys can get back into the a big game where just being there can be enjoyable.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Not to mention it's becoming common in the NFL too. It's just sports nowadays. It doesn't matter the sport. How many players flop in the NFL to draw a hold? Quite a few I'd imagine. We've seen players take a dive in the NFL for penalty flags. I don't think it's fair to restrict that to just football.
Oh no it is happening in all sports especially basketball. I guess I am just use to it watching soccer for so long.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well as a player, I wouldn’t like it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, anytime a team has almost 70% of the possession, giving up at least one goal is a good possibility.

Exactly, which is why Southgate's strategy after the 20th minute was idiotic.

Oh no it is happening in all sports especially basketball. I guess I am just use to it watching soccer for so long.

Oh, I'm used to it as well. It is fun to poke fun at those that complain about it that watch the NFL since diving happens a lot in the NFL too.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Exactly, which is why Southgate's strategy after the 20th minute was idiotic.

Oh, I'm used to it as well. It is fun to poke fun at those that complain about it that watch the NFL since diving happens a lot in the NFL too.
Check these “injuries” out.