Video: Every Brandin Cooks TD Since He was Drafted

817Gill

Reaction score
Elite speed there. Just wow. He’s burning everyone……Dak has never had anyone with that speed stretch the field. Should be fun to watch. Noticed that he bailed out Brees a lot after pressure was coming for him. Nice weapon to have.

What a weird career. Everyone speaks so highly of him….has great tape…has jumped around the league and produced with greats and not so great….
If you actually look into his career, he’s got a strangely complimenting reason that he’s been traded so much. Cooks in his prime was a borderline number 1. He was consistently getting 1k and had that speed and route tree.

But he was never that level where it was a must keep #1 WR. So it got to the point where the team who had him didn’t quite want to pay, but the team that traded for him needed a high level WR. Hence why he usually was traded for high picks.

He did also have some injury concerns early with concussions.

It’s the curse of good enough that his services are wanted, but not quite good enough to garner a top of the market salary. High end #2/low end #1 kinda guy. Perfect for us.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Elite #2? With 32 teams? How many WRs can you name better than him? He's a top 20 in my book. I think he'll be better than Cooper here.|

As far as WR depth, I think Gallup, Cropper and possibly Tolbert/Durden are our guys. I also think John Stephens may get some looks as sort of a WR/TE tweener.
Good point… my comment about him being a top #2 WR is not meant as an overall statement of talent in terms of comparison against the other 31 teams “#1” WRs.

Rather it is simply a statement of value acknowledging he is not the #1 WR in Dallas, therefore he is a #2 WR— but to your point— he would very likely be a #1 WR on several teams

CCBoy

Reaction score
He's on the right team now...any team in the NFL ever had 3 1,000+ yard receivers?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you actually look into his career, he’s got a strangely complimenting reason that he’s been traded so much. Cooks in his prime was a borderline number 1. He was consistently getting 1k and had that speed and route tree.

But he was never that level where it was a must keep #1 WR. So it got to the point where the team who had him didn’t quite want to pay, but the team that traded for him needed a high level WR. Hence why he usually was traded for high picks.

He did also have some injury concerns early with concussions.

It’s the curse of good enough that his services are wanted, but not quite good enough to garner a top of the market salary. High end #2/low end #1 kinda guy. Perfect for us.
You’re right. And another thing is I believe he’s never entered free agency lol. Very strange career. If he’s a Cowboy he probably is a lifer. Guess that’s the unlucky part of the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Elite #2? With 32 teams? How many WRs can you name better than him? He's a top 20 in my book. I think he'll be better than Cooper here.|

As far as WR depth, I think Gallup, Cropper and possibly Tolbert/Durden are our guys. I also think John Stephens may get some looks as sort of a WR/TE tweener.
I agree he is an ELITE #2. As good a #2 as you could ever want. Yes he can also be a lower end #1. Which would be somewhere in the 20's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's on the right team now...any team in the NFL ever had 3 1,000+ yard receivers?
I remember looking this up and it was like 4 or 5 times. Even 3 guys with over 900 yards was rare.

In recent memory Harrison/Stokley….and I believe Reggie Wayne was the other guy.

Cardinals did it too with Boldin and Fitz and I can’t remember the other guy. Impressive.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not super-concerned about that just because it's very hard to be four-deep in top-quality receivers. The problem last year was that we let one of our top three go and had a poor plan for replacing him. Now, with Cooks, we can actually let receivers like Tolbert, possibly Houston, Moreno Cropper, Durden develop and maybe produce a player who can step in without them having to be a player we're counting on immediately to step in.

Obviously, I'd prefer to have quality depth at every spot, but we're at least in a position this year to try to let our developing talent develop instead of throwing them to the wolves.
Exactly!!!

Moving on from Cooper and his 21 million dollar 3 years contract was the RIGHT call. But replacing him and Wilson with Tolbert and the scrub were terrible. Should have brought in a guy like Cooks or similar.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboys almost did. I believe it was Cooper and Gallup that had over 1000 yards one year and Cobb had like 800 yards.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I expect for us to face alot of zone coverages now. Dak will have to be on point and recognize the safety rolling coverage to Cook's side. Dak MUST take what the defense gives us and NOT unnecessarily force the ball.
Nothing is going to change. It will a two deep zone until the run game starts popping and forces the safeties down. They play man to man on Lamb and Cook and it will be toast all day. I see a lot of Lamb and Cook coming into the slot for the mismatches in the middle of the field.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
During his long and productive career, Cooks has not been quite the scorer compared to a couple of his contemporaries that entered the NFL the same season - 2014:
Brandin Cooks___ 132 games, 49 TD Rec
Mike Evans___ 137 games, 81 TD TD Rec
Davante Adams__133 games, 87 TD Rec
Adams and Evans had some very good QBs throwing to them, Cooks has been on 4 teams , some horrible QBs.

Motorola

Reaction score
Adams and Evans had some very good QBs throwing to them, Cooks has been on 4 teams , some horrible QBs.
Adams__ 1st 8 seasons - Aaron Rodgers; 9th season - Derek Carr
Evans___1st 6 seasons - Jameis Winston; last 3 seasons - Tom Brady
Cooks___1st 3 seasons - Drew Brees; 4th season - Tom Brady; 5th & 6th season - Jared Goff; 7th season - Tyrod Taylor/David Mills; 8th & 9th seasons - David Mills.

Jameis Winston - a 'very good QB'?
And - Cooks did not have 'horrible QBs' his first six years in the league.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Never has a team let him test free agency.
Because they were compelled to unload him before his contract was up. If Cooks could be a difference maker why didn’t the Cowboys try to acquire him sooner? He’s a journeyman receiver. Slowing down, not particularly sure handed, full of himself. But Dallas is pinning their Super Bowl hopes on him and the 26th pick in the most recent draft. What could possibly go wrong?

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Because they were compelled to unload him before his contract was up. If Cooks could be a difference maker why didn’t the Cowboys try to acquire him sooner? He’s a journeyman receiver. Slowing down, not particularly sure handed, full of himself. But Dallas is pinning their Super Bowl hopes on him and the 26th pick in the most recent draft. What could possibly go wrong?
They did, deal fell through with Houston last year. He was mad thats why he had an "injury" after the trade deadline. He didn't play against Dallas last season. He's an asset and we should be happy to have him!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They did, deal fell through with Houston last year. He was mad thats why he had an "injury" after the trade deadline. He didn't play against Dallas last season. He's an asset and we should be happy to have him!
Top receivers are not unloaded by teams that need a top receiver. Four teams in four years. Apparently the teams that did have him were not “happy to have him”. Of course, the Cowboys have deluded themselves into believing he’s the best thing since oxygen. He isn’t and we both know it.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I'm not super-concerned about that just because it's very hard to be four-deep in top-quality receivers. The problem last year was that we let one of our top three go and had a poor plan for replacing him. Now, with Cooks, we can actually let receivers like Tolbert, possibly Houston, Moreno Cropper, Durden develop and maybe produce a player who can step in without them having to be a player we're counting on immediately to step in.

Obviously, I'd prefer to have quality depth at every spot, but we're at least in a position this year to try to let our developing talent develop instead of throwing them to the wolves.
Fehoko I think is someone to keep an eye on