Video: Every Cooper Rush Pass/Run Thus Far

waldoputty

Reaction score
His last NFL season was with us. He was 38 and his arm was probably as "noodley" as K. Moore's arm. I doubt he would of had many suitors. At worst, we could have easily got someone as good or better as backup than Johnson.

i just remember being reasonably content with johnson at that time.

Toro9

Reaction score
Actually I would take the next Matt Moore as a backup QB.

Too soon to know where Rush's ceiling is. But I like what I see so far.
I think he meant he hopes we don't lose him like we lost Matt.

Zman5

Reaction score
i just remember being reasonably content with johnson at that time.

I remember being disappointed letting Matt Moore go and keeping Johnson instead. I didn't mind Johnson but if I had the choice between the two, I'd much preferred keeping Matt Moore. I thought Matt Moore played little like Romo. He had that similar style of play.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
That's the question, isn't it? Cooper still needs development for sure, but teams are looking at a player's ceiling.

For a rookie in his first action you really got to like his quick reads and decision-making. He has far better size and perhaps better athleticism than Kellen Moore. He's looked better than many highly touted rookies in their early action.

It's going to be fun to see this story unfold.

We tried to sneak Matt Moore onto the PS and the Panthers grabbed him the minute he hit the wire. Matt Moore isn't starter material but he's a damn good backup QB who can play a game or two for you. I often wonder what might have happened if we'd kept him and developed him. We ended up having to bring in Kitna, who did a pretty solid job, but he was gone in just a few seasons and then we ended up bringing in Weeden & Cassell.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Look at the pass Rush throws at 2:30 of the video. He dropped that in right on the money, it hit the receiver right in the hands and he drops it.

Several of the 10+ yard passes he threw aren't caught because he hasn't put the time in yet with these receivers. As he gets more time to work with these receivers, we could actually see his completion percentage go up.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Look at the pass Rush throws at 2:30 of the video. He dropped that in right on the money, it hit the receiver right in the hands and he drops it.

Several of the 10+ yard passes he threw aren't caught because he hasn't put the time in yet with these receivers. As he gets more time to work with these receivers, we could actually see his completion percentage go up.

he was 'on' yesterday. less so during game 1.
lets see what he does next week, hopefully against better competition.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think we keep Moore and try to stash Rush on the practice squad. Rush looks like the best backup prospect we've had since Garrett became the O-Coordinator. Dustin Vaughn moved around well for a guy his size, but didn't have a very good arm and didn't throw with anticipation. Stephen McGee just stunk and we were likely too influenced by his prospect status in high school and thinking that the Texas A&M coaches got him into bad habits. Alex Tanney had the arm, but had poor pocket presence and poor accuracy under duress. Moore has no arm strength and poor pocket presence and lacks the mobility to deal with pressure.

But, I think the coaches are too averse to having a UDFA rookie at the #2 QB spot. With Dak being young, I'm guessing they want Moore to help Dak out with the offense and scouting game film and they feel that Moore could help out Rush if we get Rush on the taxi squad. Teaching Rush how to prepare each week, how to study, learning defenses and learning the offense, etc.

What I like about Rush's prospects is that he played a lot of football at Central Michigan, he threw a lot of passes at CMU and played a lot of snaps under center. That generally means the kid knows how to throw a football in a pro style offense. His throwing motion needs to be cleaned up a little and he needs another year in the weight room, but I think he can be a legitimate backup in the league at this point. I wouldn't be surprised that if we limit his playing time in preseason so we can try and stash him away on the taxi squad. I'm not for that, but I think that's what they do.

YR

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think we keep Moore and try to stash Rush on the practice squad. Rush looks like the best backup prospect we've had since Garrett became the O-Coordinator. Dustin Vaughn moved around well for a guy his size, but didn't have a very good arm and didn't throw with anticipation. Stephen McGee just stunk and we were likely too influenced by his prospect status in high school and thinking that the Texas A&M coaches got him into bad habits. Alex Tanney had the arm, but had poor pocket presence and poor accuracy under duress. Moore has no arm strength and poor pocket presence and lacks the mobility to deal with pressure.

But, I think the coaches are too averse to having a UDFA rookie at the #2 QB spot. With Dak being young, I'm guessing they want Moore to help Dak out with the offense and scouting game film and they feel that Moore could help out Rush if we get Rush on the taxi squad. Teaching Rush how to prepare each week, how to study, learning defenses and learning the offense, etc.

What I like about Rush's prospects is that he played a lot of football at Central Michigan, he threw a lot of passes at CMU and played a lot of snaps under center. That generally means the kid knows how to throw a football in a pro style offense. His throwing motion needs to be cleaned up a little and he needs another year in the weight room, but I think he can be a legitimate backup in the league at this point. I wouldn't be surprised that if we limit his playing time in preseason so we can try and stash him away on the taxi squad. I'm not for that, but I think that's what they do.

YR

Hopefully we have learned over the past few years, from our own experience with Matt Moore and of course last year with Dak and his amazing season, as well as from the best team in the league. The New England Patriots. Pretty sure the year they drafted Garropolo they went with him as their #2. Yes, Garoppolo was a second round draft pick and Rush is an undrafted FA, but there are some similarities. Rush has similar size, but most importantly had a similar college career. He was a 4 year starter and had a lot of success.

Rush doesn't have the best body and was described by a scout as frumpy....it is something he could easily improve on and with better lower body mechanics and following the Parcells' guide for QB's having a strong base he could improve the velocity on his throws. He is a 6'3" 230 lb guy, while Moore is under 6 ft and less than 200 lbs. He is what he is at this point. He is at his ceiling, while Rush still has room to grow.

waldoputty

Reaction score

YR

here is a question - if we release Moore, do you have any concern that someone would pick him up?

haleyrules

Reaction score

He looks to be a good prospect and hopefully the Club will find a way to keep him. He appears to be better than ole noodle arm.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
To compare their arm strength look at the short outs that Rush throws compared to those of Moore. Big difference. Moore floats everything.

Randy White

Reaction score
Other than Dak, the Cowboys don't a have a QB that has an arm worth a penny on the roster. For some reason I was under the impression that McCown had a pretty decent arm strength but what I saw yesterday his is not really all that much better than Moore or Rush. This coaching staff, and I'm guessing is more Linehan than anybody else, obsession with " cerebral " QB at the expense of overall ability is becoming annoying.

If, God forbid, Dak goes down for any reason, NONE of these guys are going to pick up the slack and we're going to find ourselves back in the same position we were in 2014.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I haven't seen a UDRFA QB look this good since Romo showed up in 2003.

That kid we had as a 3rd stringer for 2 seasons a couple years back looked very good in the preseason too. Can't remember his name though.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
here is a question - if we release Moore, do you have any concern that someone would pick him up?

No, but I don't think he can be on the taxi squad.

So far, I like Rush over Moore although I would like to see Rush get time in against the 1's and 2's to better make a judgment. But, I have my doubts and I can see some of the idea of trying to stash Rush on the P-S.

YR

waldoputty

Reaction score
No, but I don't think he can be on the taxi squad.

So far, I like Rush over Moore although I would like to see Rush get time in against the 1's and 2's to better make a judgment. But, I have my doubts and I can see some of the idea of trying to stash Rush on the P-S.

YR

if we have no worry that Moore will be picked up, then just offer him an coaching position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

What I like about this kid is that he's decisive with the football. He gets rid of it quick. Smart field awareness. Look at the 2nd play in the video, he knows the defense jumped, he's got a free play so he tries to go deep.

He has no real rapport with most of these receivers at this time. His feel for where to place the ball is pretty good for guys he's only been throwing to for about 3 weeks.

It's early and it's only 2 games in, but the talent is obvious. You can play in this league or you can't. I would expect a rookie QB with NFL level talent to be able to move the ball on 2nd and 3rd stringers. Rush has done it 2 games in a row now in limited actions, leading drives that have scored 17 points.

Nice work. I really like the kid. He would be my backup at this point. Or I would at least keep 3 guys. If they cut Rush they are stupid. But that should be very obvious after another 3 preseason games.

gmoney112

Reaction score

YR

If Rush keeps playing like this, especially with the starters at some point, I think trying to stash him on the PS would be unwise. So many bad QBs in this league, someone will scoop him and stash him on the 53.