Every good front office should have a clear plan in advance of every season

kskboys

Reaction score
...taking a new approach.
And that is possible. W/ both Jimmy and Zimmer in tow, it's possible we are taking a brand new approach. Wonder if he's actually listening to them? The draft sorta leans that way.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And that is possible. W/ both Jimmy and Zimmer in tow, it's possible we are taking a brand new approach. Wonder if he's actually listening to them? The draft sorta leans that way.
What does “Jimmy…in tow” mean?

fivetwos

Reaction score
And running back is one of the most obvious examples where they have no consistent philosophy or plan whatsoever.

From Demarco Murray being a mid round draft pick and then leading the league in rushing.

“We’re not investing premium draft picks on running backs.”

“We’re also not investing top dollar to keep them.”

Then they turn around and use the #4 overall pick on one.

Then they pay top of the market money to that guy two years earlier than they had to.

When that predictably goes bad, they do another 180 and go back to no investment in the position.

No plan, no philosophy, just short term, short sighted reactions.
My all time favorite has to be when they signed Carr and spent a 1 and 2 for Claiborne because Rob Ryans scheme called for better cover corners….only to fire him after that off season….and bring in a Tampa 2 scheme, which didn’t necessarily need top corners.

kskboys

Reaction score
My all time favorite has to be when they signed Carr and spent a 1 and 2 for Claiborne because Rob Ryans scheme called for better cover corners….only to fire him after that off season….and bring in a Tampa 2 scheme, which didn’t necessarily need top corners.
And at the same time were offered a 2nd for Mike Jenkins, who was leaving after that season anyway, and turned it down.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jimmy and Jerry made up and Jimmy is in some sort of position, advisor or something like that. No idea if Jerry listens to him.
81 years old, it’s a different league than it was 25 years ago, I doubt he can be much help with product on the field or even cares.

kskboys

Reaction score
81 years old, it’s a different league than it was 25 years ago, I doubt he can be much help with product on the field or even cares.
If he helps and Jerry allows it, it will make a monstrous difference simply because Jimmy understands NFL football.

quickccc

Reaction score
In the NFL, waiting to sign players you know you will eventually sign to a new contract is crazy. Prices for players you want (and other teams would want too) will not go down unless an unforeseen major injury or serious crime occurs. Waiting is expensive. Time is literally money.

Heres my big point: Every good front office should have a plan in advance of every season, knowing exactly which players are in their plans and which ones are not. Jerry is famous for saying he’s “comfortable with ambiguity“, which is great for an entrepreneurial business, but bad for running a pro football team.
Does the Jones front office even know what they want? This idea of “waiting to see what happens” before deciding whether or not to sign guys for the future is bad planning. As the old saying goes, “Those who fail to plan are planning to fail.”

Here‘s some examples of planning and decisions this FO should have made by now:
  • Do you want Cedee Lamb to be a Cowboy in the next 4-5 years? If the answer is yes, sign him now. If not trade him. We know exactly what his market value is. He will get either exactly what Jefferson got or more. NOT LESS. It’s not complicated. Stephen Jones will not win some negotiation war in this. Period. Want Lamb or not?
  • Is Dak in this team’s future plans or not? If not trade him. (Yes I know the no trade clause is there but if Dak knows he’s not in their future he WILL accept a trade and make a ton of money elsewhere) This team has 8 years of evidence of what Dak is and isn’t. Make a freaking decision. If he is in the team’s plans, extending him actually gives them cap maneuverability. If he’s not in their plans, move on and start planning for the next franchise QB. Truth is they don’t know how to do this.
  • You want Parsons in the future? He would be a lot cheaper to extend now than in a year or two.
What the Jones boys are doing this off-season is just stupid. You either have a clear plan or not. If these guys knew what they were doing, we would have had a very different off-season.
Jerry : " Deadlines make Deals " ... per a " Fishy" source ...that has always been Jerry's motto and stamp.

- Can we name a big name stud player over the past years or decade, who held out of regular season ?
- Who was not re-signed before the season started ?

i can only recall Emmitt Smith old out missing first two games per Cowboys 0-2 start, en route to a SB title, BTW.

Martin, Zeke, Dlaw, Dez, etc, etc. They all re-signed before the season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry : " Deadlines make Deals " ... per a " Fishy" source ...that has always been Jerry's motto and stamp.

- Can we name a big name stud player over the past years or decade, who held out of regular season ?
- Who was not re-signed before the season started ?

i can only recall Emmitt Smith old out missing first two games per Cowboys 0-2 start, en route to a SB title, BTW.

Martin, Zeke, Dlaw, Dez, etc, etc. They all re-signed before the season.
Yes but in every case where Jerry has made some foot-dragging maneuver as a supposed “hardball” tactic ended up in him either paying more (than if he hadn’t waited) or it cost us games (like with Emmitt in ’93)

If you recall with the Emmitt holdout, Jerry played “hardball” until the Cowboys went 0-2 and Jimmy went ballistic because Jerry was holding out over a small amount in comparison to the whole deal. Of course Jerry caved as he always does because it’s a stupid situation to begin with.

In today’s modern salary cap NFL market, star players get paid market rates. Period. There’s no “winning” some hardball negotiations. For example - The market has been set for the cost of a big time WR 1. After the Vikes Jefferson got his money, the market to sign Lamb was carved in stone. If JJ and SJ were smart, they would have beat Minn to the punch and they could have set the market.

When it comes to signing your best players in the modern NFL, waiting is losing. There is nothing salary wise to negotiate. They can haggle over years (perhaps) or how the cash is doled out. But what Lamb is going to get paid is set. That is unless JJ and SJ want to pay MORE by waiting. Which they might. It is stupid.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If he helps and Jerry allows it, it will make a monstrous difference simply because Jimmy understands NFL football.
1990’s NFL football. My god, the rules aren’t even the same anymore. If you’re fishing for tarpon Jimmy’s a good advisor. For pro football, Jerry is ignorant enough without Johnson’s worthless advice.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1990’s NFL football. My god, the rules aren’t even the same anymore. If you’re fishing for tarpon Jimmy’s a good advisor. For pro football, Jerry is ignorant enough without Johnson’s worthless advice.
One thing that NEVER changes about football - the fundamentals of blocking and tackling still matter.

Because the teams that have monsters in the trenches are the ones winning SBs and conference championships. The teams thinking you win only with flashy skill position players are waiting 28 years to win even a divisional playoff game. I think Jimmy still understands that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The jonses have nothing pushing them to try to win it all. A normal GM is looking to win or possibly face being fired. The jonses are just content to look good on paper because falling short doesn't mean anything to them. There is no urgency in trying to build a post season winning team. They built a decent team so they feel their job is done.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just not true.

Apparently you haven't watched much pregame. Jimmy has been very intelligent and wise when discussing players. And football hasn't changed THAT much.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jimmy would not have agreed w/ drafting Schooner, Kelvin, Trysten, Jaylon, or Sammy. Changing those picks alone would win us playoff games.

And to be clear, we have no idea if Jimmy was an honorary hiring or an actual advice thingie. No tellin' w/ Jerry.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Just not true.

Apparently you haven't watched much pregame. Jimmy has been very intelligent and wise when discussing players. And football hasn't changed THAT much.
His comments are prepared in advance. It’s an act.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jimmy would not have agreed w/ drafting Schooner, Kelvin, Trysten, Jaylon, or Sammy. Changing those picks alone would win us playoff games.

And to be clear, we have no idea if Jimmy was an honorary hiring or an actual advice thingie. No tellin' w/ Jerry.
If they could bait a hook he would have drafted them. The guy is ancient history. Stop it with this nonsense. He couldn’t care less about the Cowboys and Jerry Jones couldn’t care less about him. The NFL has moved on from those days in so many ways. Jimmy Johnson has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys today. My Lord, aren’t things bad enough?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Well articulated. I don’t agree with Dak would accept a trade at this point. The NFLPA has certainly discussed his upcoming free agency with Dak and France. They have to be planning, too. They see what top basketball and baseball players can get paid as free agents in leagues with a soft cap. The NFL’s salary cap acts as a control over big stars’ pay. He NFLPA will be prepared with what that cap is worth to owners well ahead of discussion of the next CBA. They’ll use the owners desire to keep a hard cap for concessions. Roster size is much different than the NBA and MLB, but a view to what happens when a productive player is a free agent will make their position strong. More players will be asking for NTC/no tag language in their contracts to accomplish what Dak has. It was a pertinent point from Hurts’ agent when she negotiated with Philadelphia. And she got it for him. Perhaps Dak would accept a trade as a one season rental for a team, but that won’t garner much in trade. For Dak it’s either a very significant deal with Dallas or it’s free agency.
Dak can earn more in Dallas from endorsements than anywhere in the country.

That is what it means to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If Jerry pays the market why would Dak leave?

This is why I believe Jones are playing the waiting game here. Dak is not going anywhere.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they could bait a hook he would have drafted them. The guy is ancient history. Stop it with this nonsense. He couldn’t care less about the Cowboys and Jerry Jones couldn’t care less about him. The NFL has moved on from those days in so many ways. Jimmy Johnson has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys today. My Lord, aren’t things bad enough?
I agree that there is nonsense being thrown around.