Every good front office should have a clear plan in advance of every season

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Then you are looking at it from a whole other perspective. I reset every offseason. I never assume the approach to the season runs over from one season to the next. It's a different team with different players and different coaches. Different salary caps and different contracts expire each season. This season is certainly different than previous seasons when it comes to the business of the Cowboys. I'm still preaching patience.
Still with the same incompetent FO though!
Until that changes we’ll get the same results we’ve had for the last 28 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean the FO that keeps drafting so well. The Cowboys to this day are historically good drafters. I wouldn't be so sure about them being incompetent.
They're really not. That's just made up media spew.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In the NFL, waiting to sign players you know you will eventually sign to a new contract is crazy. Prices for players you want (and other teams would want too) will not go down unless an unforeseen major injury or serious crime occurs. Waiting is expensive. Time is literally money.

Heres my big point: Every good front office should have a plan in advance of every season, knowing exactly which players are in their plans and which ones are not. Jerry is famous for saying he’s “comfortable with ambiguity“, which is great for an entrepreneurial business, but bad for running a pro football team.
Does the Jones front office even know what they want? This idea of “waiting to see what happens” before deciding whether or not to sign guys for the future is bad planning. As the old saying goes, “Those who fail to plan are planning to fail.”

Here‘s some examples of planning and decisions this FO should have made by now:
  • Do you want Cedee Lamb to be a Cowboy in the next 4-5 years? If the answer is yes, sign him now. If not trade him. We know exactly what his market value is. He will get either exactly what Jefferson got or more. NOT LESS. It’s not complicated. Stephen Jones will not win some negotiation war in this. Period. Want Lamb or not?
  • Is Dak in this team’s future plans or not? If not trade him. (Yes I know the no trade clause is there but if Dak knows he’s not in their future he WILL accept a trade and make a ton of money elsewhere) This team has 8 years of evidence of what Dak is and isn’t. Make a freaking decision. If he is in the team’s plans, extending him actually gives them cap maneuverability. If he’s not in their plans, move on and start planning for the next franchise QB. Truth is they don’t know how to do this.
  • You want Parsons in the future? He would be a lot cheaper to extend now than in a year or two.
What the Jones boys are doing this off-season is just stupid. You either have a clear plan or not. If these guys knew what they were doing, we would have had a very different off-season.
Bravo Sir Bob, bravo.
But I strongly disagree Jerald has not laid out a plan.
He has a plan. It stinks as usual but it is a plan of sorts.
The plan is we like our guys, pay Parsons and CeeDee and hope for the best.
As for FA in November, forget tha, chaps. If Jerry thinks a blue chipper will be there for us in November the clean old man is in for a shock.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bravo Sir Bob, bravo.
But I strongly disagree Jerald has not laid out a plan.
He has a plan. It stinks as usual but it is a plan of sorts.
The plan is we like our guys, pay Parsons and CeeDee and hope for the best.
As for FA in November, forget tha, chaps. If Jerry thinks a blue chipper will be there for us in November the clean old man is in for a shock.
Not even that.

Jerry's plan is quite simply to keep us relevant to keep the money train a'rollin'.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak can earn more in Dallas from endorsements than anywhere in the country.

That is what it means to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If Jerry pays the market why would Dak leave?

This is why I believe Jones are playing the waiting game here. Dak is not going anywhere.
Waiting for what? If Dak Prescott is still with the Cowboys next season it will be for more money than Jerry Jones wants to pay him. I think Jerry resents paying players based on what other owners have decided his player is worth. There will be significant interest in Dak Prescott after this season is over. Losing a player in demand for almost nothing in return has to be embarrassing for GM Jerry.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes but in every case where Jerry has made some foot-dragging maneuver as a supposed “hardball” tactic ended up in him either paying more (than if he hadn’t waited) or it cost us games (like with Emmitt in ’93)

If you recall with the Emmitt holdout, Jerry played “hardball” until the Cowboys went 0-2 and Jimmy went ballistic because Jerry was holding out over a small amount in comparison to the whole deal. Of course Jerry caved as he always does because it’s a stupid situation to begin with.

In today’s modern salary cap NFL market, star players get paid market rates. Period. There’s no “winning” some hardball negotiations. For example - The market has been set for the cost of a big time WR 1. After the Vikes Jefferson got his money, the market to sign Lamb was carved in stone. If JJ and SJ were smart, they would have beat Minn to the punch and they could have set the market.

When it comes to signing your best players in the modern NFL, waiting is losing. There is nothing salary wise to negotiate. They can haggle over years (perhaps) or how the cash is doled out. But what Lamb is going to get paid is set. That is unless JJ and SJ want to pay MORE by waiting. Which they might. It is stupid.
@Bobhaze .. only that was giant 31 years ago , three decades ago ..

whereas and when in recent years here was that Emmitt/Jerry hold out lesson Not learned since among the Jones ?

But i do agree with the Jones faulty habit on sitting on contract waits and playing " chicken" with hold outs , who/which side
will fold the table cards first. it sounds like a cranky call that is costing them more than it is helping them.

More so cuz the Jones - (especially Cap Boy Stephen) it's hurt the club in NOT being able to re-sign or aggressively seek out
very much needed addition (ala RB Derrick Henry) as well as other needed areas and personnel ( ala John Hankins, Gillmore, etc)

Chasing6

Reaction score
In the NFL, waiting to sign players you know you will eventually sign to a new contract is crazy. Prices for players you want (and other teams would want too) will not go down unless an unforeseen major injury or serious crime occurs. Waiting is expensive. Time is literally money.

Heres my big point: Every good front office should have a plan in advance of every season, knowing exactly which players are in their plans and which ones are not. Jerry is famous for saying he’s “comfortable with ambiguity“, which is great for an entrepreneurial business, but bad for running a pro football team.
Does the Jones front office even know what they want? This idea of “waiting to see what happens” before deciding whether or not to sign guys for the future is bad planning. As the old saying goes, “Those who fail to plan are planning to fail.”

• Do you want Cedee Lamb to be a Cowboy in the next 4-5 years? If the answer is yes, sign him now. If not trade him. We know exactly what his market value is. He will get either exactly what Jefferson got or more. NOT LESS. It’s not complicated. Stephen Jones will not win some negotiation war in this. Period. Want Lamb or not?
  • Is Dak in this team’s future plans or not? If not trade him. (Yes I know the no trade clause is there but if Dak knows he’s not in their future he WILL accept a trade and make a ton of money elsewhere) This team has 8 years of evidence of what Dak is and isn’t. Make a freaking decision. If he is in the team’s plans, extending him actually gives them cap maneuverability. If he’s not in their plans, move on and start planning for the next franchise QB. Truth is they don’t know how to do this.
  • You want Parsons in the future? He would be a lot cheaper to extend now than in a year or two.
What the Jones boys are doing this off-season is just stupid. You either have a clear plan or not. If these guys knew what they were doing, we would have had a very different off-season.
You are correct. That is why we don't.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
You mean the FO that keeps drafting so well. The Cowboys to this day are historically good drafters. I wouldn't be so sure about them being incompetent.
I mean the FO who can’t build a team to at least get to the Conference Championship!
Drafting is a means to an end. That end is winning in the playoffs.
You don’t get trophies for drafting well!
In addition drafting is only one part to talent acquisition!
You need to be able to fully use free agency these days and obviously we don’t.
I think incompetent is about right.

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
....maybe they are tired of paying people and not winning anything..lol. This scenario has been the norm for years in Dallas.

Pay players big money, and still the drought continues. ......just saying..

elmo-sesame-street.gif
Do you think Jerry gets tired of receiving money from the networks, fans, taxpayers etc....even though they don't win? So he should not be tired of paying his employees even though they don't win.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I laugh @ the idea someone thinks planning 1 year in advance is enough...You better have eyes down the road 3...4....5 years. @ least have eyes on the draft board....start stacking players for the future.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I mean the FO who can’t build a team to at least get to the Conference Championship!
I hope you realize only 2 teams get to the conference championship each season. According to you if you don't get there that's a surefire sign of incompetence. I guess 95% of the league is incompetent... according to you. :muttley:

How did they acquire Stephon Gilmore and Brandin Cooks last year if they didn't use free agency? Was that just a one-year thing? No, Eric Kendricks was acquitted through free agency this year. Contrary to what you say, they do it every year. Your points are way too easy to knock down. :laugh:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I prefer to wait and see what happens in the end, before I call it stupid... especially, when I have no actual insight to their plan. Assuming I know, is stupid. And we all know what you get when you assume......I get it, just another bash the FO thread to pass the time, before camp. Where would we have been the last 6 months without the bash Dak, Jerry and FO threads. :muttley: :muttley:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't read whatever you're replying to,

but you're right they act like they have no plan they don't have a plan that they've announced to the world so fans are upset because things aren't moving in the direction they feel it should which is confusing because I don't know anybody in this group that's ran a $10 billion corporation with about 1200 employees and that's just one of the Jones families ventures, I think they understand how to layer management and have people in place and have plans, just because the plans are confusing to the common fan I don't want to call some of you casuals but there's some people in here with big egos...

Somehow they think that Jerry Jones corporation versus the Dallas Cowboys have no plan but yet somehow end up winning the division two out of the last three years been to the playoffs three straight years, been a top six team in the league ,I mean they won 36 games the last three years, they were the second seed last year, somehow with zero plans... they never make any plans, they don't know what they're doing they're so incompetent somehow, they've been getting lucky at being one of the top teams in the league...​

I think sometimes what's getting lost in all this confusion and everyone worried about the 28 year drought in all up in side Jerry BUTT that instead of saying they have no plan,​
Better to say comparatively to the top three teams in the league, they fall short sometimes, but overall when you compare the Dallas Cowboys even the last 10 years the last five years and especially the last three years the Dallas Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league at least in the regular season, but they're making the playoffs five times since 2016 with Prescott when he's healthy..​
Prescott never had a losing season and somehow the way fans view this their perspective is if you can't beat the 49ers you must have no plan and you must be incompetent... But how can that work if they're beating teams that are more competent than them who cares it's just a regular season, they literally took the division from the Eagles who somehow are more confident have more talent have a better GM a better ownership group and we've won a division from them twice in the last three years...​

So while the Jones family and their management style may not be up there with the top three teams they definitely are competitive and they're getting prime time games and they're as relative as ever and you can't do that being incompetent...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some talk out of their behinds.....jumping to conclusions and just bashing the team they follow....it's comical

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's the case, then over half the teams in the league are incompetent. At least we get to the playoffs and have a chance. But, the perfect fans want the perfect team.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I hope you realize only 2 teams get to the conference championship each season. According to you if you don't get there that's a surefire sign of incompetence. I guess 95% of the league is incompetent... according to you. :muttley:
Oooof not sure if I want to get into this cause I am pretty sure it will not matter but here it goes. There are 16 teams in the NFC so if 2 teams make it every year that is 1 in every 8. That would mean 87.5% of teams fail each year.

Failure at that rate for 30 straight years is less than a 2% chance. I guess we have been just unlucky right? Nothing systematic that could be holding us back?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I prefer to wait and see what happens in the end, before I call it stupid... especially, when I have no actual insight to their plan. Assuming I know, is stupid. And we all know what you get when you assume......I get it, just another bash the FO thread to pass the time, before camp. Where would we have been the last 6 months without the bash Dak, Jerry and FO threads. :muttley: :muttley:
Well know what they didn't do up to this point and nothing can go back and change that.