Everyone, it is Time to come to Terms with it. This is the Plan

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are rambling. Anyway, this top 6 franchise you reference is 1 of only 2 franchises that have not played in the NFC title game in almost 30 years. This front office has NEVER won a Super Bowl as the chief architects...as a matter of fact...as the chief architects (meaning no Jimmy Johnson influence)...the chief architects of this franchise have only won 5 playoff game in almost 30 years. Thats one playoff win every 6 years. And since YOU referenced the Eagles they have 2 NFC Conference championships, 2 Super Bowl appearances,1 Super win and 6 playoff wins in the last 6 years alone. With 3 of those wins coming with Nick Foles as the QB. So maybe we should employ some of their strategies because they are working a lot better than the ones we currently use.
I look at the facts, and the facts say that the Dallas Cowboys have managed to do what only the lowly Washington Football Team can manage to match: not even luck into an NFC championship in nearly 30 years.

I believe there is a stochastic and cyclical nature to this game over the long term, as evidenced by nearly every team making it to a conference championship in this time frame. Realistically, the only way to prevent that cycle from eventually rewarding you is to actively be sabotaging your chances through mismanagement.

Washington and Dallas are both bastions of mismanagement and ownership meddling in the affairs of the football staff. It almost certainly is not a coincidence that neither of them has reached an NFCCG in the new millennium.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I look at the facts, and the facts say that the Dallas Cowboys have managed to do what only the lowly Washington Football Team can manage to match: not even luck into an NFC championship in nearly 30 years.

I believe there is a stochastic and cyclical nature to this game over the long term, as evidenced by nearly every team making it to a conference championship in this time frame. Realistically, the only way to prevent that cycle from eventually rewarding you is to actively be sabotaging your chances through mismanagement.

Washington and Dallas are both bastions of mismanagement and ownership meddling in the affairs of the football staff. It almost certainly is not a coincidence that neither of them has reached an NFCCG in the new millennium.
^^^^ This x 1000

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.
Well according to a significant amount of our fans if we don't win the SB what difference does it make. If that is the measuring stick, then this team is the same as last year. It will not win a SB.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.
I don’t know why people are worked up. The process is 30 years and counting. What’s the rush?

Chasing6

Reaction score

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

Every year is a rebuild with GM Jethro. We are pushing on 30 year rebuild.

Finally we have decided the trenches are important. We need to do that again next year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
If and when Dallas extends Dak and Lamb and Parsons, are we going to call it a rebuild? Rookies will gave 5 or 4 or 3 year contracts with various guaranteed years not just one year.

Dallas relied heavily on analytics this off season in the draft, in salary cap, in signing free agents and will be a big part of game planning. It will be interesting how this works out.

As to signing Lamb, pretty sure his agent is doing the timeliness along with Jefferson's agent and Aiyuk's agent, just going to be who blinks 1st.

IMO, analytics is going to start making a huge difference for free agents in the future and in what anything team is willing to pay. The fact is very few end up being worth the high dollar they receive.

MikeT22

Reaction score
We have been doing this for some time now.
Not like this. We did let Garrett run out his contract.
But not only is MM on his final year with no extension, but we hired a DC and gave him a one year deal. And the handful of low end FAs we’ve signed all only guys who took a one year deal.

So no, we haven’t been doing all this for some time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Caelen Carson is considered one of the top draft picks this draft. He makes the cornerback group pretty crowded at present. It could make the cost of Stephen Gilmore unnecessary.

Stephen Jones stated then that not drafting a running back could well test this years' newly developed analysis group and it's ability to acquire the best evaluated talents for the roster.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It won't be as bad as you make it sound. The salary cap went up a lot more than most thought it would this year. The same thing will happen next year. That provides the Cowboys some breathing room and a quicker end to this salary cap re-set.
It's still wouldn't matter if we get that breathing room and actually have some cap space, Jerry will not get more aggressive in FA, just not the way he rolls.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas could go low and literally just tell him that Lance is starting this year and Dak will be on the bench as backup.

I almost guarantee that would convince Prescott to waive his no trade clause and start seeking trade partners.

It is not the most scrupulous thing to do, and would definitely burn the bridge to the ground, but it would be an out.
Who cares about being scrupulous? Dak has been overpaid for years and he knows it.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Who cares about being scrupulous? Dak has been overpaid for years and he knows it.
I would tend to agree with you.

I’d go scorched earth here and tell Todd France to shove it.

Realistically this should have happened months ago when more teams were in the market for a QB.

I guarantee Atlanta would have rather had Dak than Cousins coming off a massive Achilles injury.

shabazz

Reaction score

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

All anybody has to do is believe what their eyes are seeing....it's a reboot/rebuild/ tank

I get it that some fans don't want to accept or believe it, but the fact that most of the media doesn't is astounding......of course they might, but the narrative is better that the FO is merely inept. It's a little of both really

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All anybody has to do is believe what their eyes are seeing....it's a reboot/rebuild/ tank

I get it that some fans don't want to accept or believe it, but the fact that most of the media doesn't is astounding......of course they might, but the narrative is better that the FO is merely inept. It's a little of both really
I think we’re seeing a light tank job while still intending to be competitive which honestly I’m totally fine with.

I just don’t trust this front office to do the right thing with the newly acquired pile of cap space they’ll have in 2026.

SBWinner

Reaction score
People have been complaining about the team's approach for decades, and now they change it and people are still complaining.

The changes made are pretty responsible from a cap management and value perspective. It will take a couple of seasons to see if it works but I am pretty happy they are trying new things. And making people accountable. It's what they should do. I think they are finally listening to outside voices unlike before where their arrogance prevented them from doing things they needed to do.

At least it is a change, and one that looks like it is finally moving in the right direction. This offseason will tell us a lot about how far they are going to take it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just don’t trust this front office to do the right thing with the newly acquired pile of cap space they’ll have in 2026.
.....and I would add potential higher draft picks

What you stated has been the case and that's why I have delusionally convinced myself that someone else is ,not only behind these moves but ALSO potentially a part of future football decisions.

I hope

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dallas could go low and literally just tell him that Lance is starting this year and Dak will be on the bench as backup.

I almost guarantee that would convince Prescott to waive his no trade clause and start seeking trade partners.

It is not the most scrupulous thing to do, and would definitely burn the bridge to the ground, but it would be an out.
Maybe, or would Dak just be satisfied pocketing the $29m .... and get his bag on the open market?
The argument against Dak waiving his NTC, is he'd get limited choice in the location and he'd need to learn the new offense. Add into that the Raiders who look most in need of Dak's services .... have a running game that's worse that ours.
Where Dak would 'back himself' in that instance or take the pine?
Could go either way.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Dak could laugh in his face and tell him to piss-off.