Everything Grape - The Wine Thread

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ColoCowboy and I were discussing wine in the Pops thread and I thought one on wine might be nice for those that are oenophiles, intermediates and beginners. I am an intermediate, don't want to be an oenophile and be registered and the neighborhood to find out.

I know Yosemite is into making his and can share some of that as well, not the wine, I already asked and he won't deliver. Very selfish, if you ask me.

Since they legalized the home delivery of wine in Texas (they had no choice), I've been experimenting with different ones. Wine Insiders is good if you're just starting out because it's affordable at around $7 a bottle and I've tried Vinesse but it comes in at 25 delivered and that's a little pricey for everyday wine for me but I have settled in on Wine of the Month Club at 25 per delivery per month for a red and white and have found 4 really good wines and the best part is that you can reorder at around 7-8 a bottle, while supplies last, which isn't long on some of the really tasty ones.

But the best so far has been FirstLeaf, 6 for 90 delivered but I have found the best wines from them but you have to take the shipment, no suspending it like Vinesse offers.

You can check the web sites for delivery states to see if this would work for you but it's like getting presents each month but they need to be opened quickly and tasted, a sacrifice, I agree, but I to make for the greater good.

Anyone got any other wine clubs they would suggest? Or wines?

Last edited:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks for starting this thread, @CouchCoach - as good of a place as any to discuss wine (and, maybe, scotch some day) amongst friends.

I fall somewhere between intermediate and self-acknowledged wine snob. My wife and I enjoy a wide range of varietals and styles. Our very first date was at a wine bar in Covent Garden in London - I'll save that story for later. We are always looking for new and different wines to try.

I belong to SommSelect online wine club. As the name suggests, the club is run by a couple of CA-based master somm's. While their focus is primarily European, they do offer a number of California wines. Most of what they offer runs in the neighborhood of $20 to $50 per bottle and you don't have to actually join their club to purchase from them. What I like about this site is that each wine offering is accompanied by detailed wine-maker and tasting notes.

Bring it on. Rather than tell us what you're reading now, share what wine you're drinking.

:flagwave:

GMO415

Reaction score
I view wine as mainly a womans drink.
skinny margaritas.

I make a home made fortified wine that will creep up on you and knock you on your arse. You won't need lean with this shhhhh. TRUST

Hardline

Reaction score
skinny margaritas.

I make a home made fortified wine that will creep up on you and knock you on your arse. You won't need lean with this shhhhh. TRUST
I made a gallon of apple pie moonshine and a gallon of peach cobbler moonshine two weeks ago .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As Colo mentioned, this doesn't have to be limited to wines, distilled spirits, even cocktail recipes and new brews that you might have discovered but keep in mind some of the craft brews are not readily available everywhere.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Recently, we've been drinking CA zins.... Seems like a perfect compliment to these cold wintery days. If you like big, bold reds try T-Vines Howell Mountain Zinfandel.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I view wine as mainly a womans drink.

lol, that's because you don't know wine. I will admit, there are what is basically fru fru wines, but not all of them. You get a big bold red. Especially a great one. There isn't a hard liquor or beer that can challenge it. What it can do when paired perfectly is dumbfounding.

I used to drink wine maybe once a year at an expensive restaurant or something. Was never really knocked over by it. Then one day I was at a great restaurant that had a wine sommelier on staff. (not just a wine guy) He ate the meals, then went searching for the perfectly paired wines for those meals. When I was there, I was looking at the wine list and just picked something and the sommelier walked over and told me I didn't want to do that. lol

Anyhow, he said he paired this wine for that meal and I said ok, I've give it a try. I've been a wine guy ever since to the point that I'm a winemaker now too. There is nothing like a great wine. Their is nothing less impressive than a garbage wine too. That said, great wines don't have to be super expensive. Most of the wines I buy are $12-$25 (well, and the occasionally Amarone which by default is more expensive due to how it's made) with an occasionally higher dollar one.

For $17, try a Joel Gott Zinfandel. (his Cabernet is good too) That is a fantastic wine for $17.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
ColoCowboy and I were discussing wine in the Pops thread and I thought one on wine might be nice for those that are oenophiles, intermediates and beginners. I am an intermediate, don't want to be an oenophile and be registered and the neighborhood to find out.

I know Yosemite is into making his and can share some of that as well, not the wine, I already asked and he won't deliver. Very selfish, if you ask me.

Since they legalized the home delivery of wine in Texas (they had no choice), I've been experimenting with different ones. Wine Insiders is good if you're just starting out because it's affordable at around $7 a bottle and I've tried Vinesse but it comes in at 25 delivered and that's a little pricey for everyday wine for me but I have settled in on Wine of the Month Club at 25 per delivery per month for a red and white and have found 4 really good wines and the best part is that you can reorder at around 7-8 a bottle, while supplies last, which isn't long on some of the really tasty ones.

But the best so far has been FirstLeaf, 6 for 90 delivered but I have found the best wines from them but you have to take the shipment, no suspending it like Vinesse offers.

You can check the web sites for delivery states to see if this would work for you but it's like getting presents each month but they need to be opened quickly and tasted, a sacrifice, I agree, but I to make for the greater good.

Anyone got any other wine clubs they would suggest? Or wines?
I read somewhere that they have found Roundup in all California wines. Is that true?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read somewhere that they have found Roundup in all California wines. Is that true?
I have not heard or read that but that would be huge news. A public relations nightmare.

I know Roundup has been in the news but don't know if CA grape growers used it.