Everything Grape - The Wine Thread

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looked it up, Rocky, and Glyphosate has been found in CA wines but not to the level to cause concern. One would have to consume far more than they could drink on a daily basis to ingest enough. The alcohol in wine is actually a greater cancer risk than the level of Glyphosate.

But the answer to your question is yes, they found it in all wines tested, even the organic ones but to a lesser level.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Love red wine. I drink mostly Cabs, Malbecs, and Pinot Noirs. Always trying to find that special red in the $20 range, rarely spend more than $30-$40 though...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Love red wine. I drink mostly Cabs, Malbecs, and Pinot Noirs. Always trying to find that special red in the $20 range, rarely spend more than $30-$40 though...

Try a big Zinfandel (no, not white Zinfandel stuff)

Hardline

Reaction score
Sounds interesting - care to share the recipe?
These are the recipes I use. I double it though.

Apple Pie Moonshine
img_7221-300x277.jpg

Ingredients

• 1 750-milliliter bottle of 190-proof Everclear or high-proof vodka if that's all you can get.
  • About 1 cup of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum (two cups tastes pretty good also... just saying).
  • 1 gallon apple cider
  • 1 quart apple juice
  • 3 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 10 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 large stock pot
  • 6 mason jars (quart-sized)
This recipe comes together very quickly. Simply combine the cinnamon sticks, apple cider, and apple juice in the large pot. Bring it all to a mild simmer and add in the sugars.

Continue to stir slowly for about 5-10 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved. At that point, turn the heat off and allow the apple cider mixture to cool down to room temperature.

Allow it several hours to reach a lower temperature. If you add in the alcohol too soon, the higher temperature will evaporate some of the alcohol content.

Once the mixture is at room temperature, stir in the Everclear and one to two cups of rum.

At that point, you are ready to jar the apple pie moonshine in the mason jars. These make excellent Christmas gifts, hint hint! Don't be afraid to put a cinnamon stick in the jars either.

This is basically the greatest Christmas drink ever invented, and goes great with a few apple slices to munch on as well! The shelf life isn't much of a concern, because you'll drink it well before it goes bad!

As the apple pie moonshine ages, the cinnamon and sugar blends out the alcohol taste to an almost undetectable level. Again...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Peach Pie Moonshine

Ingredients
  • 2 - 64 oz bottles white grape peach juice
  • 2 - 15 oz cans sliced peaches in heavy syrup
  • 2½ - 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 - 7 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 750 ml bottle everclear
  • 1 750 ml bottle peach schnapps
Instructions
In a large pot, bring juice, peaches w/ syrup, sugar, and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Take out the cinnamon sticks Let cool to room temperature, then add the peach schnapps and everclear. Stir well, then pour through a strainer layered with a cheesecloth to strain out the peaches and any bits of the cinnamon sticks. Ladle into jars. Peaches can be divided between the jars. Yields 12-14 pint-sized jars and 6-7 quart-sized jars

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Italian red wines, specifically the Barolo's, Super Tuscans and Amarone. But, they have to be consumed with beef or a pasta! :thumbup:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Apple Pie Moonshine
img_7221-300x277.jpg

Ingredients

• 1 750-milliliter bottle of 190-proof Everclear or high-proof vodka if that's all you can get.
  • About 1 cup of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum (two cups tastes pretty good also... just saying).
  • 1 gallon apple cider
  • 1 quart apple juice
  • 3 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 10 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 large stock pot
This recipe comes together very quickly. Simply combine the cinnamon sticks, apple cider, and apple juice in the large pot. Bring it all to a mild simmer and add in the sugars.

Continue to stir slowly for about 5-10 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved. At that point, turn the heat off and allow the apple cider mixture to cool down to room temperature.

Allow it several hours to reach a lower temperature. If you add in the alcohol too soon, the higher temperature will evaporate some of the alcohol content.

Once the mixture is at room temperature, stir in the Everclear and one to two cups of rum.

At that point, you are ready to jar the apple pie moonshine in the mason jars. These make excellent Christmas gifts, hint hint! Don't be afraid to put a cinnamon stick in the jars either.

This is basically the greatest Christmas drink ever invented, and goes great with a few apple slices to munch on as well! The shelf life isn't much of a concern, because you'll drink it well before it goes bad!

As the apple pie moonshine ages, the cinnamon and sugar blends out the alcohol taste to an almost undetectable level. Again...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Peach Pie Moonshine

Ingredients
  • 6 - 7 cinnamon sticks
Instructions
In a large pot, bring juice, peaches w/ syrup, sugar, and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Take out the cinnamon sticks Let cool to room temperature, then add the peach schnapps and everclear. Stir well, then pour through a strainer layered with a cheesecloth to strain out the peaches and any bits of the cinnamon sticks. Ladle into jars. Peaches can be divided between the jars. Yields 12-14 pint-sized jars and 6-7 quart-sized jars
Sounds devilshly delicious

lukin2006

Reaction score
What, get out of here. They deliver wine where some of you are at. That is nice.

I love red wine.

I live near a bunch of wineries. I am going to do some winery tours this summer.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Just opened a 2016 Joel Gott Zinfandel..:omg:

If I tell how modestly it was priced, you might get on a plane to the Big D.. And we can’t have that...:eek:

I’m going back and taking the entire shelf....:D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I like Italian red wines, specifically the Barolo's, Super Tuscans and Amarone. But, they have to be consumed with beef or a pasta! :thumbup:
I love Amarone (well many of them) I made one, but sadly it just doesn't compare to my favorites. (though my Super Tucan is one of the best wines I've ever made) You've got to be careful with them though. They generally do not come cheap and some expensive ones are less desirable. I pick up some 2012 Palazzo Maffei Amarone for about $31-$32 a bottle (buy it by the case) and it's good for the price. Though I've paid $90 for a bottle that was... I want a mulligan hah

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Just opened a 2016 Joel Gott Zinfandel..:omg:

If I tell how modestly it was priced, you might get on a plane to the Big D.. And we can’t have that...:eek:

I’m going back and taking the entire shelf....:D
I already cleared the shelf. ****

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love Amarone (well many of them) I made one, but sadly it just doesn't compare to my favorites. (though my Super Tucan is one of the best wines I've ever made) You've got to be careful with them though. They generally do not come cheap and some expensive ones are less desirable. I pick up some 2012 Palazzo Maffei Amarone for about $31-$32 a bottle (buy it by the case) and it's good for the price. Though I've paid $90 for a bottle that was... I want a mulligan hah
Can you say a bit more about making your own wine? I have blended wine before and barrel-aged it, but not much more than that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Apple Pie Moonshine
img_7221-300x277.jpg

Ingredients

• 1 gallon apple cider
  • 1 quart apple juice
  • 3 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 10 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 large stock pot

Peach Pie Moonshine

Ingredients
  • 6 - 7 cinnamon sticks
Instructions
Dontchya just wonder about the people that come up with these? I'd love to see a doc of them experimenting and the day after they drink the failed experiments. I bet both of those pack quite a hangover with all of the sugar in them.

Everclear, I haven't used that since the college days of Purple Passion, Statutory Grape and Skip and Go Nekkid. The unending quest to get our dates drunk and then try to get the stains out of our cars when they puked. Damned few of us were making the Dean's List.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Can you say a bit more about making your own wine? I have blended wine before and barrel-aged it, but not much more than that.

Sure. I started out making wine with wine kits. (like Wine Expert etc) Then I started ordering grapes and crushed them and made it. If you ever start making wine, kits is a great place to start and learn before buying grapes.

Anyhow, I make it six gallons (about 30 bottles) at a time in glass carboys. I know people who make entire barrels (about 60 gallons, but that's way out of my wheel house)

Well, I ferment in a food grade bucket or 10 gallon food grade plastic trashcan, then I age it in glass carboys. Here is white and a red in the fermentation process. The bag you see in the red is basically a cheese cloth bag with the grape skins inside of it to help add tannins to the wine.

f3W1Yh.jpg
Ekoh6U.jpg

Once they are done with primary (or heavy) fermentation (usually about a week) I remove the skins and transfer it to a glass carboy and add oak chips, cubes, or staffs if I want an oaked wine. Normally a barrel would oak it for me, but barrels are too much maintenance and generally to large for what I do. They do have smaller barrels, but carboys and small oak cubes way is so much easier for me. I usually remove the oak after a week or two. (don't want to over oak the wine)

Here is a picture of some of my wines aging in a glass carboys in a dark closet.

bsYnwW.jpg

I generally let the whites age about 9 months to a year in the carboy, then bottle them. I usually let it age in the bottle at least another 3-6 months before opening one.

The reds, I tend to bottle after a year to 1.5 years. I try not to really drink any of them until they reach at least two years old. Time makes a real difference with wine. I've opened a red at one year, 1.5 years, and two years. and the wine may taste awful at 1 year, but taste like a $25 wine at two years.

A lot of home winemakers just bottle in used bottles or even new bottles, but just put a hand written label on it. I tend to go all out because I give some of it away as gifts and prefer for them to look good. Well, that and I'm a perfectionist.

Here are a few of my bottled wines.

My 2016 Zinfandel (it's in the carboy picture too)

wMgeck.jpg

An off-dry Riesling I made.

nUA6Hy.jpg

The Riesling again, with a Dragon's Blood (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry wine), along with a Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine.

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/ZE5AbskHdvRrH7_zBYUYQj7XjIoz8RDw799I1nObuCV1xx9RpwXSc8uaeBoFGArGKxASXJ86xC8YTMiAjzbgo45nAF-Qq2NJbaRjHbAawWwshpyplT72YQUa1MImwmrookHWA-GKWHwrrpiPkSJf12stTQDXh7sXugg73RbbG4r6Cbjezf_B_6qdJ3n5tz8NjnNMGwfeKELbYNzjbUvverAth_r0S7NRmk7WNsvDiQ-7dZ4VkNy17OOHp47WJaJVVJUU1Pv4lKHoL6f5GVZjyQ5L4ASdqoDo3kQkVXU7hjeeOg8eqDl35cqjVzy63JwZcT5Tiths1ke0j3YsK6g3oq2j1Be79Mrsz685U8ld_nnAh9gTyfq1b6ni2meEnsS_DK_CIswpT4zy4KBjm2lQhedoEIRSLSINkGk0-nHpCvjph0B3wA0wzYJduo48quF1LsjWpsPjJtRS_C0z9fnKEr4GmuR_a5-z4pbuy42i8upcYbljt-00Gn_cKfRCUzYAsg-vntLvZrWFi4tNESzfRThlxSSsgQj3xW6AjPQZvvgO6ryQ-IsdsPhamfcaPUl0LEo3mGMJAPbVwbyy2E3GrIXLF7I4YU5kzNVob-wc_RkAnqTtPM02G1-rp7XDpx4cNoScgFzIisWlLa6iz0q7wq3H-6VZhR8-pw=w987-h740-no

A Shiraz I made with grapes sourced from Barossa Valley, Australia. Yes, that is Tyrion Lanister on the bottle hah. I named the wine The Imp's Delight which was a quote he said in the books / show.

UhmvkM.jpg

This is a smaller batch fruit wine in the making that I made for my GF's friends. It's Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine. It turned out way way better than I expected.

qRFLS9.jpg

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sure. I started out making wine with wine kits. (like Wine Expert etc) Then I started ordering grapes and crushed them and made it. If you ever start making wine, kits is a great place to start and learn before buying grapes.

Anyhow, I make it six gallons (about 30 bottles) at a time in glass carboys. I know people who make entire barrels (about 60 gallons, but that's way out of my wheel house)

Well, I ferment in a food grade bucket or 10 gallon food grade plastic trashcan, then I age it in glass carboys. Here is white and a red in the fermentation process. The bag you see in the red is basically a cheese cloth bag with the grape skins inside of it to help add tannins to the wine.

f3W1Yh.jpg
Ekoh6U.jpg

Once they are done with primary (or heavy) fermentation (usually about a week) I remove the skins and transfer it to a glass carboy and add oak chips, cubes, or staffs if I want an oaked wine. Normally a barrel would oak it for me, but barrels are too much maintenance and generally to large for what I do. They do have smaller barrels, but carboys and small oak cubes way is so much easier for me. I usually remove the oak after a week or two. (don't want to over oak the wine)

Here is a picture of some of my wines aging in a glass carboys in a dark closet.

bsYnwW.jpg

I generally let the whites age about 9 months to a year in the carboy, then bottle them. I usually let it age in the bottle at least another 3-6 months before opening one.

The reds, I tend to bottle after a year to 1.5 years. I try not to really drink any of them until they reach at least two years old. Time makes a real difference with wine. I've opened a red at one year, 1.5 years, and two years. and the wine may taste awful at 1 year, but taste like a $25 wine at two years.

A lot of home winemakers just bottle in used bottles or even new bottles, but just put a hand written label on it. I tend to go all out because I give some of it away as gifts and prefer for them to look good. Well, that and I'm a perfectionist.

wMgeck.jpg

nUA6Hy.jpg

The Riesling again, with a Dragon's Blood (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry wine), along with a Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine.

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/ZE5AbskHdvRrH7_zBYUYQj7XjIoz8RDw799I1nObuCV1xx9RpwXSc8uaeBoFGArGKxASXJ86xC8YTMiAjzbgo45nAF-Qq2NJbaRjHbAawWwshpyplT72YQUa1MImwmrookHWA-GKWHwrrpiPkSJf12stTQDXh7sXugg73RbbG4r6Cbjezf_B_6qdJ3n5tz8NjnNMGwfeKELbYNzjbUvverAth_r0S7NRmk7WNsvDiQ-7dZ4VkNy17OOHp47WJaJVVJUU1Pv4lKHoL6f5GVZjyQ5L4ASdqoDo3kQkVXU7hjeeOg8eqDl35cqjVzy63JwZcT5Tiths1ke0j3YsK6g3oq2j1Be79Mrsz685U8ld_nnAh9gTyfq1b6ni2meEnsS_DK_CIswpT4zy4KBjm2lQhedoEIRSLSINkGk0-nHpCvjph0B3wA0wzYJduo48quF1LsjWpsPjJtRS_C0z9fnKEr4GmuR_a5-z4pbuy42i8upcYbljt-00Gn_cKfRCUzYAsg-vntLvZrWFi4tNESzfRThlxSSsgQj3xW6AjPQZvvgO6ryQ-IsdsPhamfcaPUl0LEo3mGMJAPbVwbyy2E3GrIXLF7I4YU5kzNVob-wc_RkAnqTtPM02G1-rp7XDpx4cNoScgFzIisWlLa6iz0q7wq3H-6VZhR8-pw=w987-h740-no

A Shiraz I made with grapes sourced from Barossa Valley, Australia. Yes, that is Tyrion Lanister on the bottle hah. I named the wine The Imp's Delight which was a quote he said in the books / show.

UhmvkM.jpg

This is a smaller batch fruit wine in the making that I made for my GF's friends. It's Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine. It turned out way way better than I expected.

qRFLS9.jpg
Wow. Very impressive! Really a labor of love.

BTW, we lived in Australia for several years and traveled to Barossa valley. We really enjoy their big, bold Shiraz's.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

f3W1Yh.jpg
Ekoh6U.jpg

bsYnwW.jpg

wMgeck.jpg

nUA6Hy.jpg

UhmvkM.jpg

qRFLS9.jpg

FWIW, I have a birthday coming up! :)